Any BitTorrent app with encryption, besides Azureus?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gary King, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Gary King macrumors 6502

Is there any good BitTorrent app that supports encryption, besides Azureus? Azureus is nice and all, but it takes up a lot of RAM. I use µTorrent on Windows, and it is absolutely fabulous, especially because it supports encryption and it has a small footprint.

2. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

uTorrent has encryption but it hasn't been ported to OSX as yet. I believe they are working on it. It is a much leaner program with virtually no memory footprint and all of Azureus's features except for plug-ins.

Azureus has become really bloated but I think most of that is because of its java underpinnings.

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

No, there's no other client on OS X that supports encryption. µTorrent was being ported, but that effort has stalled since the developer for it left. I don't believe anyone took up the reins on that port since, so I wouldn't hold my breath for it if I were you.

4. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

5. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Can someone explain the encryption feature in Bit torrent clients? And why I would want that feature?

Thanks.

6. M-theory macrumors 6502

M-theory

I think it makes it harder to track the people and harder to see what is being passed around, copyright or non-copyright.

fyi:

http://freenet.sourceforge.net/

[so far just windows and unix/linux]

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It's more to avoid ISPs who use packet-shaping devices to try to limit or eliminate BitTorrent traffic on their networks. It's good for YOU to run so you can help out people who are behind such devices and can't receive data from or send data to you because of this.

8. JJM macrumors newbie

I don't normally use Azureus, so can someone tell me if the encryption mode is turned on by default, or do I have to do it in the Preferences ?

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

No, it's not turned on by default. You have to enable it. Go into the Preferences, unfold the Connection options. It's under there.

If you personally don't HAVE to encrypt to use BT, turn on transport encryption, set the minimum level to plain, and check the "allow unencrypted connections" boxes at the bottom. Then you CAN send encrypted to those who need it, but don't force it on others who can't encrypt or whatnot.