Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Is there any good BitTorrent app that supports encryption, besides Azureus? Azureus is nice and all, but it takes up a lot of RAM. I use µTorrent on Windows, and it is absolutely fabulous, especially because it supports encryption and it has a small footprint.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
uTorrent has encryption but it hasn't been ported to OSX as yet. I believe they are working on it. It is a much leaner program with virtually no memory footprint and all of Azureus's features except for plug-ins.

Azureus has become really bloated but I think most of that is because of its java underpinnings.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
No, there's no other client on OS X that supports encryption. µTorrent was being ported, but that effort has stalled since the developer for it left. I don't believe anyone took up the reins on that port since, so I wouldn't hold my breath for it if I were you.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
It's more to avoid ISPs who use packet-shaping devices to try to limit or eliminate BitTorrent traffic on their networks. It's good for YOU to run so you can help out people who are behind such devices and can't receive data from or send data to you because of this.

JJM

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
Chicago
I don't normally use Azureus, so can someone tell me if the encryption mode is turned on by default, or do I have to do it in the Preferences ?

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
JJM said:
I don't normally use Azureus, so can someone tell me if the encryption mode is turned on by default, or do I have to do it in the Preferences ?
No, it's not turned on by default. You have to enable it. Go into the Preferences, unfold the Connection options. It's under there.

If you personally don't HAVE to encrypt to use BT, turn on transport encryption, set the minimum level to plain, and check the "allow unencrypted connections" boxes at the bottom. Then you CAN send encrypted to those who need it, but don't force it on others who can't encrypt or whatnot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.