Any Black belts here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G5orbust, Nov 5, 2005.

1. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    Hey all,

I just passed my black belt test in Tae Kwon Do (about an hour ago) and Im wondering if anyone else on this fine forum is a member of the black belt club (in any style).
  2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    I took karate instead of gym in my middle school. I got up to purple, I think.

I was HORRIBLE at it! Absolutely HORRIBLE!

...I have a really cute black belt with a huge, ugly, shiny, beautifully tacky buckle. That totally doesn't count, right? :p
  3. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    My best friend has a black belt in karate (first degree, but she's probably higher but her studio doesn't offer any higher tests). She could beat up a lot of grown men.
  4. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    I've taken years upon years of martial arts - tae kwon do as a child, kung fu growing up, and then contemporary wushu for a year when I was 16. I haven't done any martial arts since then. None of the studios I practiced at did the 'belt' thing, so I'm not even a white belt, but I have done lots of martial arts. Wushu is my favorite, I'm a showoff and a gymnast, so that explains that. :)

5. dmachine macrumors member

Oct 22, 2005
    I would but I find it kind of hard doing it being in a wheelchair. LOL :D , sorry I just had to do it.
  6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Brown - Judo. Technique (Kata) was good, but I didn't get along with the religion sufficient to go black.
  7. stonyc macrumors 65816

Feb 15, 2005
    Black belt in Tae Kwon Do when I was... 16-ish? Haven't done TKD since then though, so those skills have more than likely eroded. :)
  8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    ^^And now you just wear that belt to work, possibly as a head-band? Huh, right? Eh?
  9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    I have a 2nd dan in Kyokushinkai Karate, but I haven't studied for many years, I now study Aikido, and have a 1st Dan black in Tomiki Aikido, currently studying for my 2nd Dan.

I've done some work in Lau gar Kung Fu, Tae Kwondo, Kendo and Iado, but found Aikido to offer everything I'm looking for in a Martial art.

I wish I'd discovered Aikido when I first started, it's a great art.

Congratulations G5orbust, a Black belt in any art is a great achievement, and proves you're worthy of your Sensei's time and effort.
  10. Angelus macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2002
    New Zealand
    I've a 1st Dan Black belt i Tae Kwon Do. I got it when i was twelve but i kinda stopped training when i was 16 and haven't been back for 5 yrs. Messed around with judo and kendo for a while but Tae Kwon Do was always my favourite.
  11. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    Thanks. It was a real tight finish for me (my test was Saturday, my master OK'ed the test Thursday night) but I performed on test day so its all fine. I did some things he didnt like during my test, but my parents assured me that it's just a cultural difference (he's from Korea) that he just misinterpreted. Oh well, life goes on.

Yeah, aikido seems like a very practical art. Taekwondo is practical to a point, but really just gets me in super solid shape. Congrats on getting dan in multiple arts. While some may not think that impressive because people tend to think that after you get one you can get another pretty easily, to be able to switch art after going so far and get to that level again is quite impressive.
  12. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Aug 20, 2003
    Long Beach, California
    Congrats G5orbust! That's a really great accomplishment.

I have to raise my hand in the black belt group (2nd poom in Tae Kwon Do, 'cause my last test was when I was, what, 14?). I'm excited about being able to test for my third dan in the next few years, and then perhaps taking another art in college.
  13. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
  14. G5Unit macrumors 68020

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm calling the cops
    I got up to Purple belt 1 stripe then I just started to forget everything.
  15. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Apr 16, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I got to a Red belt in Tae Kwon Do (Belts above: High Red, Bo-Dan, Black, Belts below: White, Yellow, Orange, Green, High-Green, Blue, High-Blue, Brown, High-Brown) and then quit. I was so close! :eek:
  16. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002

Ah yes, the poom dan. At my school its all the same but because Im an adult I can tell a higher grade black belt kid what to do :D :D
  17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    How many years did it take you to get each black belt? It seems like you either got them very quickly to have accomplished so much in martial arts, or you're old (no offense). ;)

I got a green belt in Shotokan Karate when I was younger, and later in Uni I got a green belt in Goju-Ryu Karate and they made me learn about the history of Goju-Ryu. While that seems quite normal, I wasn't interested in the history at all. I just did martial arts for its practicality and as a form of exercise, so sorry if I sound a bit slack. I didn't care for martial arts really. I just wanted to be able to defend myself, so once I got my green in Goju-Ryu and had to learn a bunch of Japanese and start writing essays on my interpretation of certain things, I quit. :D
  18. lordj4000 macrumors member

Jul 17, 2005
    In unfathomable darkness
    I got my 1st degree black belt in taekwondo several months ago. Since i've started college though i've been too busy to continue :(.
  19. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002

Sadly, Ill probably be writing the same exact thing about a year from now...
  20. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    My sister achieved black belt status in Karate in four years. That said, I can still kick her butt any day. It just doesn't seem like she got anything from Karate whether it being a better fighter or better disciplined because she's still the same person.

Although, I picked up a few moves from her which definitely have a use in a fight.
  21. khammack macrumors regular

Sep 28, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Religion?? Was your instructor fond of Shintoism or something? I've been in judo on and off for ~13 years and it's all been secular so far. Judo isn't as fragmented as some of the other arts (partly owing to it being so young an art), so I'm just surprised that you had such a different experience.

In my experience, Judo is simply a sport with a tiny bit of philosophy tossed in.

Oh yeah, I'm Nikyu/Brown in judo and I am "starting over" in Aikido since I haven't done it in years. Aikidoists are less concerned with rank so I didn't even know what I was when I had to give it up years ago.

22. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Ya, it really is a beautiful art/sport. It was the instructor at the time and, after taking time off and away from it (him), I replaced the time commitment with long distance running and found it more enjoyable.
  23. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    I have two black belts, one of them is in my cupboard, the other one is currently around my waist holding up my pants.

I did Tae Kwan Do in Singapore for a few weeks but it just wasn't for me, too many sit ups and punches and stuff in a non-airconditioned hall with about 200 other blokes was just waaay too much for me. By the end of the sessions it was about a million degrees in there and smelt like the inside of a prosthetic leg. Awful.

I had my little white belt though and thought I was super cool - well, as cool as a 10 year old could be.
  24. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    Much the same as everyone else here, I held a second dan in tang soo do (soo bahk do). THis is the style that TKD originated from, not done it for about 7/8 years though.
  25. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    I became a 2nd degree black belt in Tai Kwan Do when I was 15. No offense, but TKD is the most useless martial arts style. It's mainly foot movement with little hand use. In a real life situation, you're not going to be using feet. It's just not practicle. I'm now studying Kung Fu and Judo. Kung Fu is much more practical than TKD and Judo is a great complementary style to that.