any bluetooth printers?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mgargan1, Apr 14, 2003.

1. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

hey, i was wondering if there are any good bluetooth printers... i know there are wifi epson printers, but i'd rather have bluetooth... anyone out there know anything? i would greatly appreciate it.

2. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

aside from buzzword compliance, why? the limited range, and the extra expense, plus the relative newness makes it all seem a bit risky to me. i am assuming you don't have wifi now...?

3. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I remember reading in another thread how it would take 16 hours to upload 5Gb of MP3s to an iPOD if was bluetooth.

That's very slow, just printing a photo and some basic text on a colour printer involves having dozens of Mbs of data sent to it in the course of a printout, that would turn a typical 8 page per minute printer into an 8 pages in an afternoon, if you're lucky printer!

I can see the point in bluetooth for small data transfers like input devices but not large ones like printing.

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

you could print from your Bluetooth palm perhaps?

arn

5. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

There are bluetooth to USB and bluetooth to parallel adapters for printers. I read somewhere that OS X does not support bluetooth printing.

6. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Truth, but I don't see the point of a pda either.... that is for a different thread.

7. porovaara macrumors regular

Check here first:

http://www.blueunplugged.com/shop/department.asp?Department=11

... and then do price shopping. Bluetooth is neat, it should be in everything. I currently have it in my phone, my desktop, my laptop and a headset. I can click on the phone on the laptop, and bam. it makes an audio connection to my phone from which I can then voice dial and talk over my laptop mic/speaker. Often I also use my bluetooth headset with yahoo voice chat, so I'm not tied to sitting in front of the machine while chatting away for free(tm).

8. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

9. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

thanks guys, i thought that blue tooth would be really fast, but i guess not. I wonder if i could hook my printer up to my airport base station.

10. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

if the airport has usb then it will be a cinch.

yes, the transmit speeds of bluetooth are horrible. that is why nobody jumped on it 2 years ago when it was "the next big thing"

11. william1949 macrumors member

I use the Hp995C.
    I have three computers that share it. I use a pc laptop with bluetooth and it works just fine.
    The Mac OS still does not support bluetooth, and I still am waiting, looking forword to being unleashed from wires.

12. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

10.2.5 does...

No HP drivers for OS X yet?

And Apple is the innovator, eh? NOT.

13. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

THIS IS COOL

The new Saab 9-3 Aero has a built-in bluetooth network that automatically recognises your bluetooth phone and laptop.
    It would be cool to be able to stream MP3's from iTunes from a powerbook anywhere in the car !!!!

14. william1949 macrumors member

I have not read anywhere that 10.2.5 has added bluetooth printer support, only mouse and keyboard and some extra phone support. I have 10.2.5 and see nothing to indicate that printing is now supported (I checked Mac's site and could not find anything there either).

15. iDork macrumors newbie

I was going to buy this printer to share between my PB and PC. Thanks for letting us know about Mac 10.2.5 not supporting bluetooth printing yet.

16. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

You know, I though Apple was going to pioneer bluetooth the way it did WiFi...but they didn't have HID support until just now (actually, I didn't know 10.2.5 added that) and no printing support! I don't have bluetooth on my system but I will when I get a new Mac sometime within the next year. I hope it supports the full range of bluetooth products by them.

17. filipp macrumors regular

Re: THIS IS COOL

Man, that's awesome! bluetooth handsfree in the stereo is just awesome.

I have been drooling over the 9-3 aero for a while now, guess I'll have to buy it to get this bluetooth thing

18. william1949 macrumors member

I also share with a PC (it uses bluetooth). I like the printer, and still hope that Apple finds it in their heart to support it. The one thing this printer doesn't support that I would like is borderless printing.

19. iDork macrumors newbie

When printing a document or picture, is there a long delay in trasmitting the data via Bluetooth to the printer?

Thanks-

20. william1949 macrumors member

On the PC I usually only print documents with no lag time. I'm presently printing a 5*7 (300dpi) image, and am not noticing any difference from when I print from my Mac using usb.

21. iDork macrumors newbie

Great! I may go ahead and purchase this printer. I hope HP doesn't release a newer bluetooth model of this kind.