any cal poly, ssu, or ggu alums from california?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jefhatfield, May 19, 2006.

1. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

ok, i will cast a wider net ;)

california state university system (CSU) alums in the northern california region ranging from humboldt state to cal poly, SLO?

northern california independent college system?

• Art Center of College of Design
    • Fresno Pacific University
    • Golden Gate University
    • Mills College
    • San Francisco Art Institute
    • Santa Clara University
    • St. Mary's
    • Stanford University
    • University of San Francisco

2. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

Yeah...anyone from Stanford who wants give me a couple pointers? Or any Ivy League student/graduate?

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

the smartest man i know, who graduated from suny with a bachelor's and naval war college with master's, none of which are close to ivy league, but had the test scores for ivy league, said simply:

"have parents who have a huge bank account"

once i went to a music seminar led by the legendary branford marsalis, who went to berklee school of music, and a parent asked, "how do you get into berklee music school?"

his answer:

"make sure you have a check that doesn't bounce"

both my friend, a high ranking naval officer, and branford marsalis, a very successful professional jazz musician, gave similar answers and admitted the really elite colleges are almost exclusively for the rich

so sometimes an elite college will have a few token poor kids on part or full scholarship just so they can say, "our college is not just for the rich"...elite private colleges make their income almost entirely from tuition and gifts of alumni so they can't just have half their kids go there on a full scholarship...the institution, even a harvard, would have to close their doors