Any car people in here?

Discussion in 'Community' started by joecool85, May 4, 2005.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I'm a car guy, love my cars, know my cars and work on my cars. Today I'm painting a 13x5 4x100 rim for my ZX2 so I can mount up a 185/70/13 mounted to it and replace my crappy stock donut spare. I hate those things.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

13"-ers ... w00t w00t! :D Those aren't dubs... they aren't even teens. They're tweens! :eeK: ;) :D

Seriously, though, I know so many people who love their ZX2s. Do your thing, boi! :)

I'm sort of a car guy. I don't necessarily like to monkey with my car, although I know how. I worked as an engineer in the industry for five years -- Ford, and suppliers for GM / Chrysler / Mazda and a little bit of Toyota and Honda.

3. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Well its not like I'm going to roll on it much (hopefully never) seeing as its a spare. I have stock 15x6 alloys on it right now w/185/60s on it. Hopefully it will have some 195/55/15s later in the summer.

4. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

What is your question......just if people here are interested in cars...and know some the yes ;)

5. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

yeah, I was just curious if all computer geeks (or a lot) are like me and my friends. It seems all the people around here that are big into computers are big into cars...not necessarily vice versa though lol.

6. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

dude, i'm a huge ford guy, have been since i was about 12 or something, and i could hardly even figure out what a ZX2 was for a while.
    I'm much more of a car guy than a computer guy. I never really think of computers when i list my interests for one reason or another. I'd say half the time i come to this site it to look for car threads. Otherwise, i'm on www.themustangsource.com. Check it out, its a great site, tons of mustang info, past and present, good forums, more than just the mustang stuff, although largely centred around that car and other fords.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Just thought I'd say I saw the new V8 Vantage beside 1 Canada Square today (they were shooting so promo material). Although I didn't think much of the bright yellow finish I'd have to say it's a beautiful car in real life. It looked graceful, yet powerful.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Stunning wasn't it (not sure about the yellow though :eek: ). The motor show is on again up here June/July time. Can't wait. Last year they had 4 Astons in a row inside 1 Canada Square (my building!!! Yay!!!) :D And the Mercedes dealership had an SLR :cool:

10. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I'm a car person!

13" Wheels- wow! I agree doughnuts (not the food) are stupid

My 2003 Range Rover has stock optional 20" (18" is standard).

The funny thing about H2 Hummers (my neighbor has one) is that their spare tire is so large if you have it stored in the trunk it takes up so much room there is only room for one seat in the third row.

On the topic of wheels I hate people who "pimp" out there cars with 22" ugly chrome wheels with jems embeded in them.

11. Frank (Atlanta) macrumors regular

Yes - car guy! Much fun prior to getting married & having a child - some of my toys are gone, now; however, I've kept one convertible in storage that I manage to get out every now and then...

12. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Bigggg car guy here (thus my username)!

I'm up for hearty car debate anytime. ;)

13. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I like cars. My mom has a VERY VERY VERY Rare 1985 BMW that I love. It is a 1985 BMW 745i. It was imported from Germany in 1986, has a turbo on the engine (not a diesel).

I guess it is a 295HP engine while stock, but a few minor modifications can put it at around 380HP.

Here is a link to her exact car: LINK

It is rad. Buffalo skin leather interior is awesome!

If you want to see some of the nicest cars I have personally ever seen, check out this site: HERE

The guy is a car nut, and keeps cars looking stock, while doing nice mods and making them fly. Check out his Callaway Twin Turbo!

14. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Nice BMW. I still love the old look of them, in some ways more than the current ones.

I have a 2003 Range Rover 4.4 HSE, a 2001 Range Rover 4.6 HSE, and a 2004 Mercedes E320 CDI. When the 2006 Range Rover (non-sport version) comes out I'm trading in my '03 RR and possibly my '01 as well. I'm not sure weather to get the standard 4.4 305hp engine or the 4.2L Supercharged 400hp Jaguar engine. The supercharged goes from 0-60 in 7.1 sec- pretty fast for an SUV of that size and weight. I might keep my 2001 Rover for bad weather etc. Again In some ways I like the older verison more than the new.

My mom and dads car collection consists of a 2003 VW Passat W8, 2002 GMC Yukon Denali, 2001 Bently Label (nice but pointless), 2003 jaguar XJ8, and a 1965 Shelby Cobra. But i'm grown up and out of the house.

15. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    i thought this thread was gonna be about the car people from another planot or something... like this guy:

Attached Files:

16. Blackstealth macrumors regular

Funny that, all the people I know that are big into computers don't give a monkey's about cars and those that are into cars couldn't care less about computers. I seem to occupy a reasonably rare middle ground here.

Always been a car guy, it's in the blood. Currently driving a 1997 Saab 9000 Turbo, only a paltry 210bhp (at the moment), but it's a real wolf in sheep's clothing and puts a huge grin on my face whenever I'm out and about. There's just something fun about silly amounts of power through the front wheels with no electronic aids to help out...

17. Altima3.5 macrumors newbie

Just installed a new air intake on my V6 Altima (hence the username) - should add 15-25 hp. New exhaust and underdrive pulley next - hoping to get the stock 245 hp up to 300 hp.

Do I qualify as a car guy?

18. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Infiniti is getting 298 hp out of that engine in the G35. I wonder what the potential for that engine is. It gets great numbers under N/A, it must be a monster with a Turbo.

19. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I love the G35, that will be my mothers replacement car if she decides to get rid of her unreliable passat W8.

20. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I think that they are adding AWD goodness this year or next. It's going to be hard to beat after that.

21. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

15-25hp from just an air intake? lol.. u'll be lucky to get 4 ;)

Anyways, I'm a little bit into cars. I enjoy auto-x and no, my car is not stock anymore. :)

22. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

The already have AWD on the G35 don't they. Isn't called the G35x? I wouldn't buy the G35 without AWD- I would never want rear wheel drive in the winter.

23. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I hate when people make there cars unstock.

It just seems like taking a brand new 15" 1.67ghz powerbook maxed out and then painting it yellow or something stupid.