Any chance for Google to release Google Maps in the app store?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by haruhiko, Jun 11, 2012.

1. macrumors 68040

haruhiko

In the few months or years that Apple makes its maps perfect, we still need a mature alternative... and Google has Street View which I use it very often. :(

2. macrumors 603

Carlanga

Most likely yes it will come out.
    Apples' new offering I think is better than the current Google Maps app on the iPhone though.

3. Guest

Probably...and I hope they release a better youtube app too.

I hate the stock one...more now that Apple/Google/whoever hasn't updated it yet since like its release.

4. macrumors 65816

Depends what you use it for. If you use it for transit directions it's completely useless now.

5. macrumors 6502

Having used both, Apple's solution blows google maps out of the water. There is literally no reason to use google maps instead.

6. macrumors 65816

Read my post above. If you need transit information Apple's solution is completely useless. Can't believe they dropped that functionality.

7. macrumors 6502

Yes, i suppose this is the exception. As of now, it prompts you to download an app from the store instead. Hopefully they include similar bus and train schedules before it leaves beta.

8. macrumors member

It actually looks like walking and transit directions are in Apple's new Maps. A screenshot from The Verge:

[​IMG]

Whether they're any good or will be included in the released version remains to be seen.

9. thread starter macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Yes if more countries are supported.
    Right now many places are just empty in the map of my city.

10. macrumors 65816

Next year we're almost guaranteed a streetview equivalent it's always the case with Apple not going full throttle on new and improved applications.

11. macrumors 6502

Yeah lets see them put their 100 billion in the bank to good use.

12. macrumors 65816

They also said they're integrating Transit apps into the Maps app during the keynote.

I wonder if that means that's how the transit routing will work? I wonder how this integration will work too. Will it show live ETA for buses?

Basically, if Rocket Man (best TTC app ever) could integrate into Maps that would be the perfect thing.

13. macrumors 6502a

Parise

Compared to iOS's old version of Google Maps right?

I'm praying Google ports the android version of their maps app over to iOS. That thing is amazing.

14. macrumors member

Unless you have an iPhone 4. I will not buy another iPhone just to get a map "update". I use to have a droid with google navigation and from what I've seen from apple, google blows them out of the water. When you say you have used both. Which both are we talking about? Are you referring to the old maps app? That was all apples doings.

15. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Did you also forget this was beta version of iOS 6?

16. macrumors 601

There's a difference between accepting it's a beta and waiting for a miracle.

17. nlr
    macrumors 6502

Google have been doing maps for years so I doubt Apple will ever come close to googles standard on android. I guess its better than the current iOS maps though..

18. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Google doesn't have a Maps app on the iPhone right now. Are you thinking of Apple's stock Maps app ?

19. macrumors 6502

The Maps solution included in iOS 6 has already far surpassed Google's "effort".

Even on the stolen Android OS, Google Maps can't hold a candle to the new iOS 6 Maps.

20. macrumors newbie

"Google's effort" as you put it was actually made by Apple, Google Earth is the only google map app on iOS.

The satellite images for my area (UK) is about 5 years behind the Google/Bing images resolution wise.

21. macrumors 603

Carlanga

Most people use it to get directions to go somewhere so yes; only people that have street view are missing on a cool feature that most don't use.

Apple stock Maps app is made by Google up to our current iOS 5.

22. macrumors regular

Gromet

WOW, Seriously? Google is WORLDS ahead of Apple. Did you watch this Google Event held a few weeks before WWDC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMBJ2Hu0NLw

Check it out, jump to 44 minutes in to check out the 3D Stuff... Even the Apple term Flyover is unoriginal.

I want to know when Apple will stop wasting money on technology to put in the iPhone that is already there and being done better.

..Gromet

23. macrumors 6502a

Do you understand what transit navigation does/is?

Using Google's maps != Made by Google

24. macrumors 6502

skywalkerr69

I wouldn't bet on it. And if you do, i have a bridge to sell you. :rolleyes:

25. macrumors 68040

VSMacOne

I would say that yesterday's release was a pretty huge step in the right direction, and Google definitely has something to worry about. Apple can build some darn good apps, and with the mapping companies they've bought, I wouldn't be surprised if they matched Google (maybe even pass it) before long.
    Again, for a beta product that's not even close to finished, this is pretty good. They need some work on the actual maps and speed of the app.

Also, I hear Forstall say they are not going to include Transit info, but rather promote App Store transit apps thru the Maps app. More money for the developers and more money for Apple :D