Any chance of a price drop with MMB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by merrymoon, Oct 16, 2006.

1. merrymoon macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2006
    Hey -

I have been going back and forth between the idea of getting a macbook or an iMac...

I was recently set on getting an iMac until I saw my cello teacher's new macbook, and it is gorgeous!!

I can't spend over $1100 on a computer (that's my price after edu. discount) and I was wondering if there was any likelihood of a price drop on the macbooks with the release of merom... I would really like a dvd burner and a bigger hard drive... thank you!

I just realized that refurb. core duo macbooks (2.0GHZ, Superdrive) are 1100, so this is an option too - will the price on refurbished core duo macbooks go down with the release of C2D?
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I doubt we'll see a price drop. The Core 2 Duo chips are coming in at the same price points as the Core Duo. We could see a few more other bumps like RAM or hard drive, but I wouldn't count on it. My money says that the price points will stay the same. But I don't know anything. :)
  3. merrymoon thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2006
    how long does it usually take for new refurbished models to show up in the apple store after the new models are released??
  4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    The search function would tell you that there are already refurbished models of the current Core 2 Duo iMac and Core Duo Macbook. ;)
  5. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    u need to check refurbished list daily
    also, check compusa and microcenter store after the release of new MB.
  6. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    at this point, i think it is safe to say Apple's business plan includes pissing everyone off and not putting Merom in their notebook line.
  7. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    Buy from No shipping/immediate tax charge and a $100 rebate.
  8. Graeme A macrumors 6502

Graeme A

Aug 6, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Read this from PC World.,127021/article.html

"...Should you kick yourself for buying that Core Duo notebook in May?

PC World tests suggest you shouldn't sweat it too much. Notebooks get only a small performance boost with Intel's new processor, formerly code-named Merom, and battery life appears to remain about the same..."

Maybe Apple is not so dumb after all.