Any chance of a price drop with MMB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by merrymoon, Oct 16, 2006.

1. merrymoon macrumors newbie

Hey -

I have been going back and forth between the idea of getting a macbook or an iMac...

I was recently set on getting an iMac until I saw my cello teacher's new macbook, and it is gorgeous!!

I can't spend over $1100 on a computer (that's my price after edu. discount) and I was wondering if there was any likelihood of a price drop on the macbooks with the release of merom... I would really like a dvd burner and a bigger hard drive... thank you!

::edit::

I just realized that refurb. core duo macbooks (2.0GHZ, Superdrive) are 1100, so this is an option too - will the price on refurbished core duo macbooks go down with the release of C2D?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I doubt we'll see a price drop. The Core 2 Duo chips are coming in at the same price points as the Core Duo. We could see a few more other bumps like RAM or hard drive, but I wouldn't count on it. My money says that the price points will stay the same. But I don't know anything. :)

3. merrymoon thread starter macrumors newbie

how long does it usually take for new refurbished models to show up in the apple store after the new models are released??

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The search function would tell you that there are already refurbished models of the current Core 2 Duo iMac and Core Duo Macbook. ;)

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

u need to check refurbished list daily
    also, check compusa and microcenter store after the release of new MB.

6. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

at this point, i think it is safe to say Apple's business plan includes pissing everyone off and not putting Merom in their notebook line.

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Buy from Amazon.com. No shipping/immediate tax charge and a $100 rebate.

8. Graeme A macrumors 6502

Graeme A

Read this from PC World.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127021/article.html

"...Should you kick yourself for buying that Core Duo notebook in May?

PC World tests suggest you shouldn't sweat it too much. Notebooks get only a small performance boost with Intel's new processor, formerly code-named Merom, and battery life appears to remain about the same..."

Maybe Apple is not so dumb after all.