Any chance we'll see Meroms in the Macbooks in Aug?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Subiklim, Jul 7, 2006.

  1. Subiklim macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2006
    Location:
    Manhattan, New York
    #1
    I really want a macbook, and I told myself I would hold out, but I just can't take much more of this dell laptop. I'll gladly wait until mid-august for the macbook... IF it has merom. If not I'm buying now. What are your thoughts?
     
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #2
  3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

    BlizzardBomb

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2005
    Location:
    England
    #3
    Unlikely. Merom's release is in August and I don't think Apple would upgrade straight away.
     
  4. lord patton macrumors 65816

    lord patton

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2005
    Location:
    Chicago
    #4
    I disagree. I think Apple will put them in their MBPs within two weeks of their introduction, if not sooner.

    But that's just my guess.

    Edit: Oh, you're looking at a MacBook, not a Pro. In that, case, I don't think so. Not right away, no.
     
  5. extraextra macrumors 68000

    extraextra

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2006
    Location:
    California
    #5
    I don't think the Macbooks will get it for awhile.. and isn't Merom being released August 22? The MBP's would have them in September, I think.
     
  6. Twenty1 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2006
    #6
    Holiday season maybe...

    Given how the MacBook's are selling, there really isnt' a reason to upgrade them. Perhaps we'll see a speed bump or other upgrade come before the Holiday shopping season. Should entice all those "I'm waiting for revision B" shoppers to buy before the end of the year too...
     
  7. Subiklim thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2006
    Location:
    Manhattan, New York
    #7
    Sorry, if I searched for Merom and Macbooks, I get a buttload of 'pro' comments, not just plain ole Macbook comments. I didn't see this discussed in detail.
     
  8. m-dogg macrumors 65816

    m-dogg

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2004
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #8
    Nope. The MBP (when it does finally get it) will have that all to itself for a little while me thinks.
     
  9. Collin973 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2006
    #9
    I agree. I'm holding out for the mbp with merom in it...and i still want the free ipod!!!
     
  10. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

    MacDonaldsd

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2005
    Location:
    London , UK
    #10
    I don't think the macbooks will get a Merom for a long time ( iMac will get it before )

    There needs to be a difference like this between the Pro and consumer laptops.
     
  11. Bern macrumors 68000

    Bern

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2004
    Location:
    Australia
    #11
    Merom in the MBP will provide a clear definition between the MB and the MBP. I doubt Apple plan on having it in the MB.
     
  12. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

    jdl8422

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2006
    Location:
    Louisiana
    #12
    What about the iMac will they have new chips in August?
     
  13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #13
    The leaks and speculation tend to make it look like Apple will be making a clear break between the consumer and Pro lines with this next round of upgrades.
     
  14. vniow macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2002
    Location:
    I accidentally my whole location.
    #14
    August? Probably not. Soon after I think. I disagree on the assertion that the MPB will have Merom while the MB remains Yonah as a product distinction though, Apple did this before when the iBook got G4s instead of G3s, powering them up to the same level as the Powerbooks. The latter remained distinct enough regardless of having a similar processor.

    My bet is that they'll go in as soon as they're ready. Apple wasted no time upgrading the MBP when it hit 2.16Ghz, I suspect they'll do the same once Merom is released. I'm guessing that the MB will have a lower clockspeed than its larger counterpart though, just like it is now with a bit of overlap.

    As soon as both models receive Merom, one of them is going to mine in any case. ;)
     
  15. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

    jdl8422

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2006
    Location:
    Louisiana
    #15
    I keep reading about the new chips. Should I wait to purchase an iMac?
     
  16. iGary Guest

    iGary

    Joined:
    May 26, 2004
    Location:
    Randy's House
    #16
    You getting tired of carrying that cross yet? :rolleyes:
     
  17. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

    MacDonaldsd

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2005
    Location:
    London , UK
    #17
    The iMac will get a spec revamp soon, apple don't like to go longer than 9 months between revs if they can help it.

    but i doubt they will have the Merom
     
  18. freeny macrumors 68020

    freeny

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2005
    Location:
    Location: Location:
    #18
    So from that guide we probably wont expect a 2GHz version of the Meron until at least 2007?

    Wow! guess ill be waiting a lot longer then I anticipated:(
     
  19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #19
    No

    Where does it say that? Everything short of the fastest chip should be available at launch.
     
  20. freeny macrumors 68020

    freeny

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2005
    Location:
    Location: Location:
    #20
    quote-
    "By Q4 2006, and Intel will ship the slower 1.66GHz T5500 with 2 MB of L2 Cache. Merom's current form will continue until 2007. Low voltage variants are set for Q1 2007"
     
  21. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2005
    #21
    The MB price point is too high for it to be stuck with the 'old chip' - every manufacturer will have $1299 and $1499 Core 2 Duo notebooks as soon as they can get the chips. And when the Core Duo prices drop (which they're scheduled to do at Merom's release, no?), Dell and co. will cut the base prices on their Core Duo notebooks - Apple either has to compete or not offer that line.

    What I could see is the cheapest MB staying with Yonah - or an even cheaper MB getting it, while the upper section of MB line gets Merom. As with now, the difference in size and GPU makes the gap wide enough to work.
     
  22. WillMak macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #22
    why's everone so anxious for merom? Are the current Yonah's that bad?
     
  23. Silentwave macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    May 26, 2006
    Location:
    Gainesville, FL
    #23
    That just means the slowest one will be out a bit later. The others shuld be out at the time of release in the week of aug. 22nd.
     
  24. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2005
    #24
    Everyone wants the latest, biggest, baddest, etc. That's just the nature of consumer capitalism.

    In this case, there might be some reason behind the desire - the switch from 32-bit to 64-bit could (theoretically) extend the life of the notebook by a couple of years, if there's a real move to 64 in apps and the OS (Windows or Mac) in the future.
     

Share This Page