Any chances for DVI iBooks in the future?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by srobert, Mar 2, 2004.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Any chance Apple will ever put a DVI / Mini DVI out in the iBooks? Maybe they don't put it in to separate the iBooks further from the more expensive powerbooks.

I'm in the market for a laptop right now and I can't afford a powerbook. The iBooks seems good enough for all I wanna do but I was disapointed I could'nt plug in an Apple ADC Display, which I already own. (with ADC to DVI adaptor) I don't want to expand the desktop, mirror is good enough. I'm only after the 3-5 additionnal inches my 17" would provide me with)

I guess I might have to wait and save more money for a 12" PowerBook.

2. UKMacBod macrumors member

It seems logical to assume that the iBook would eventually get the more 'pro' features of the PowerBook - DVI / MiniDVI being one of them.

I don't see Apple doing this in the immediate future, however. Since there is (relatively) little difference between the current iBooks and PowerBooks, Apple has to differentiate them some how.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

there should be a dvi to vga or adc to vga adapter somewhere.
    the iBooks are consumer machines, wouldnt expect DVI ports anytime soon :p

4. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Yes, it is thorically possible to Plug in an ADC monitor but it's complicated and costly and lossy (picture quality).

iBook —>*Apple VGA video adaptor (included with iBook) —>*VGA to DVI adaptor (Not VDI to VGA! Does Apple even sells one?) —>*Apple DVI to ADC adaptor ($149.00)

I.E.: A wiring nightmare.

5. tristan macrumors 6502a

refurb PB?

In the special deals section of the Apple store, refurb PBs start at $1200 for the 12" and $1500 for the 15". They're older models, but should have a similar performance level to the iBook G4, and will include the DVI port. Just a suggestion.

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

refurb rev. A 12" PB (867 MHz) will not have a DVI port, only VGA, just like iBook.

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

You need TWO adapters.
    You need the mini-VGA to VGA adapter that came with your iBook and you need an adc to vga adapter from griffin tech (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/monitor_adapters/). pretty cheap ($30) for one. you dont have to get any of the big heavy unwieldy crud from Apple :)

8. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Is there a difference between the VGA to ADC connectors and the ADC to VGA connectors? If so, then he would need a VGA to ADC, which isn't listed on that page you linked.

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

i meant ADC to VGA.
    He has an ADC monitor and a VGA port.
    You need to change the ADC thing to VGA. As a result, its ADC to VGA.
    Same with anything else. It's source to destination.

10. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Didn't you say ADC to VGA in the first place? Isn't the source of video the iBook (VGA) and the destination the monintor (ADC) ? So that's VGA to ADC? I am still confused.

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

the source (or the info) is coming from the monitor and going to the computer. The source wouldbe the ADC thing, the destination would be the computer, via the VGA port.

12. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

The adapter you mentioned won't work. It only works for using a VGA monitor on an ADC port. To use your 17" Studio with the iBook, you'd need this:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1301

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

haha shoot.
    thanks josh.