Any Cigar Aficionados?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bursty, Oct 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

I just tried a Padrone 40th Anniversary and it was amazing. Just wondering if anyone else likes a fine cigar. Anyone? :cool:

2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

3. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

Thanks.

4. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Uh, I don't/didn't mean to offend you or anything. So many people die because they smoke. But then again drinking does the same thing too, but only if done irresponsibly .

5. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

Anything can kill you. Eating too many Doritos can kill you. ;)

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

there are two things that i have not done in my life which seem to fascinate me...cigars and motorcycles, really

...he he, maybe i am in a mid-life crisis but for some reason i don't think that my long record of driving safely (and within the speed limit) in a car and never smoking should change

i do admit to having tried two cigars in the past month and it is actually scary how much i liked them, but there is no way i am going to take up any form of smoking, especially since my wife is fighting cancer now and my best friend, a smoker of cigarettes and cigars, had a heart attack at only 33 years of age

he used to have a lot of cigars and humidors and would take long rides to canada to get the chance to smoke cuban cigars and perhaps take a few back to the states, but now his cigar days are over but he knows most of the damage to his heart came from cigarettes

7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Agreed. But eating responsibly won't kill you, nor drinking etc. There's no "Smoking responsibly", its just plain out bad for you, I don't know what other way to put it. I've heard that a cigar is like smoking a mouthful of cigarettes.

But I say this in no offense to you, It is of course you're choice after all. Personally, I do think smoking "Looks cool", not a whole lot, but some, so I do fancy it a little but, but not enough for me to actually do it myself...

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i know people who thought they were somehow doing themselves good to just keeping it to just one pack a week or even just a cigarette a day

they should really just quit and stop making excuses

we need food to eat to survive, and some people may benefit from small amounts of red wine, but i cannot think of any health benefits from smoking

9. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

This is far from my intent of the original post, but having a cigar once a month is like being on a strict diet for a month and then having one BigMac. One BigMac is not going to send you to obesity. YES, I know tobacco is addicting. I enjoy it every once in a while. ;)

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Smoking helps you lose weight.

One lung at a time.

11. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

12. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Romeo y Julieta, and H. Upman - are these cubans any good? i have one each. are cubans any better, or is this a newbie misconception? i'm definitely a newbie.

13. Zaid macrumors 6502

Wouldn't call myself an afficionado, but i do have the odd cigar on special occasions with my mates.

We normally smoke a Cohiba on New years eve. The short fat one that castro smokes (can't remember what number it is. number 5 i think)

Cubans are (in my very limited experience and from what i hear from my more experienced mates) better.

I don't smoke ciggarettes though, well except when i'm completely off my tits drunk and someone offers one to me. Quite partial to a shisha though (the middle eastern water pipe) If you use a very good quality tabacco, the tar content is very very low, and the water filters out whaterver particulate matter is in the smoke, so what comes out is pure flavoured smoke. Really nice. quite social too.

14. Evangelion macrumors 68040

As a non-smoker I just have to chip in and say that I absolutely hate cigars. Regural tobacco-smoke is pretty damn annoying, but ciger-smoke stinks. It really, really stinks. the stench reminds me of some filthy public bathroom or something.

In order to protect others from your bad habits: please, don't smoke in public places.

15. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I have actually heard of many non-smockers that died! :eek: :eek: :D :D

16. Zaid macrumors 6502

Ok guys we get the point. Bursty just asked a question. Enough with the anti-smoking-partyline-trolling please.

Yes we know smoking puts one at a higher risk of lung and heart disease (so can lack of exercise btw) and excessive drinking can cause liver damage and a host of other problems. Secondry smoke also harms and it is bad and rude to smoke infront of non-smokers. No one disagrees with you. Point made.

So if you feel the need to chip in with how much you dislike smoking, please feel free NOT to. It adds nothing to the conversation and is annoying as well.

Jeez, i'm not even a regular smoker. One cigar a year on average (in an open area like a park or roof terrace) and maybe a shisha pipe once a month. Yet even i'm annoyed by the trolling in this thread.

17. Laser macrumors newbie

COA Maduro is one of my favorites.

18. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

I've enjoyed the Romeo y Julieta's that I've smoked. My father is in Seatle on a business trip and at one of the dinners at the conference, they were offering Opus X's to everyone, that normally cost $59 each. :eek:

19. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Swell. I think I'll smoke the R y J then. How long do cigars last before going dry? I've had this cigar for about 2 years mostly in LA, and this place ain't no humedor.

20. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

If they arent in a humidor, cigars can go bad overnight. You can still smoke it, but it just wont be near the quality of a fresh one. ;)

21. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i love the occassional cigar.

the R&J bully, which is basically a robusto, is quite nice. i always seem to come back to it. the padron black label pyramids are also nice-they have a very oily wrapper that just works for me.

as far as the whole cuban mystique...i've never had a bad cuban cigar but i don't think they're undeniably better either. they make for a good story to tell your friends. kinda like dom or cristal champagne.

also remember, unless you buy your cubans from a government store in cuba, theres a very good chance they're fake.

22. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

Not necessarily. We bought a few Cubans from a very nice cigar shop in Europe. I know Germany has a nice supply of quality Cubans.

23. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning

I've bought cubans in europe also...that's the main cuban market so there are lots of legit cigars there. but having said that, if you tally up the number of "cubans" for sale in europe, mexico and under the counter in the u.s.--i believe it far exceeds the production capacity of that tiny nation. I'm also aware that there are fake cubans for sale in cuba...hard to believe but its true.

just saying be sure of your source...and enjoy!

24. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I enjoy a fine cigar now and again. My most favourite would probably be a Cohiba Robusto. I also really like Romeo Y Julieta Exhibicion No.4. I went to Cuba a few years ago and bought a lot of cigars, I really enjoy one every now and again.

25. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I smoked cigars for a while, and really loved pipe-smoking. But when I kicked cigarettes 6 months ago, I stopped it all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.