Any concrete word on the G5 powermac replacements?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Senater Cache, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Senater Cache macrumors newbie

Jun 6, 2006
    The no-dual socket capability of the core2 platform will either limit the new machines to 2 processor cores or will push intel server technology into the desktop realm
  2. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004

No, not yet.
  3. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    I'd hope/bet WoodCrest, as the PowerMac needs more juice then the Core 2 can give it by itself, and the idea of moving down to a Dual Core Mac, from a Quad based is not a thrilling one
  4. thumb macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    why would you move at all? keep the quad for at least another generation.
  5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    An Intel Quad, not a PPC one, PPC is gone by the end of this year.
  6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    ThinkSecret isn't nearly as reliable as they used to be, but they are speculating that the Mac Pro will use Conroe rather than Woodcrest, which means it can't come out before Conroe does. Conroe is expected in either July or August. Woodcrest is coming out sooner though, so they could be less than a month away if they use Woodcrest.

I agree with Zap2, I want the high end Pro Mac to maintain quad cores, and I don't think Conroe is capable of that.
  7. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2006
    The land of love
    So does that mean 4 seperate core2duo/woodcrest chips, or 2 "dual core" chips?

So you can't put two conroes together huh? That sucks, as I hoped the new Powermacs would have a Quad chip (8 cores) option. :/
  8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    That would mean 2 dual core chips. Intel is working on a quad core workstation chip (i forget the code name), but it's gonna be a while.

As far as Conroe is concerned, I haven't officially heard that you cannot put 2 together, but I have also not heard officially that you can.