Any current/former military people here?

Discussion in 'Community' started by w00tmaster, Aug 11, 2004.

1. w00tmaster macrumors regular

Jun 21, 2004
    I am about to graduate from Penn State(sometime this year) with a degree in computer engineering. My GPA is 3.34 right now(hope to get it a bit higher). i am considering going into the armed services if they can station me in Japan with a job I want, and will let me get my masters degree free of charge.
    I really want to challenge myself and it seems that the Army is an interesting way to do it. They will pay back my student loans(about $35k worth :eek: ), and I will have a security clearence and the experience to get an awesome civilian job when I get out.
    Is anyone on these forums a current/former military person? What do you think about it? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I applaud your willingness to join the military. My service was in the Air Force, retired as a Captain in 1990. So I'm biased toward the Air Force. I think that you should check them out also. You never know what type of deal they might offer you. I was in the Medical Corps, so don't know much about the line officer career path. The Air Force will also send a person to school.
  3. homeshire macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2002
    Ohio, looking toward Germany
    spent 4 yrs. in the navy. the military is the best deal going for anyone uncertain about what they want. my only caution -- it's not all one-sided. when you join, you assume certain responsibilities -- and we are at war now. include that in your calculus.
  4. FritzTheWonderM macrumors member

Dec 12, 2003
    Planet 10
    Having served in the Army I can say: "Go Air Force". They take better care of their people. Also, while they do promise to pay for school, give you job skills, etc, realize that is advertising. $35K doesn't sound like a lot when you can get a $100K/yr job with the same skill set, (read that "Is $35K worth 4-6 years of your life?"). They do own you for however long you sign on for (the more benefits the longer) and the odds of you going to somewhere you want to be stationed are slim. Having said all that it can be a great job/experience. Where else can you get paid to operate multi-million dollar vehicles and blow stuff up, (no lie that part's really fun). Just take your time choosing a branch and 'job'. Hope that helps.
  5. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    Former Army here. If you want some adventure and challenge then go for it. I caution you though to get EVERYTHING in your contract that you want. Lest you get stuck doing something that you didn't really want.
    Duty station assignments are erratic, so be ready for that.
    I thought the Marines were the ones still stationed in Japan or is it Okinawa?
    Anyway, it's a life decision most people don't regret. For me the training was tough but I cherish my memories.
  6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Both of my adoptive parents were in the Navy. My mum spent 3 years, my dad 20. They were stationed in Japan for nearly 3 years at the Iwakuni Marines base.

I know that the military has changed a lot since they were in active duty, but it's still about discipline, following orders, and doing what's right.

It's great that you want to be part of the military but, as has been said, this country is at war and you must be ready to fight. If you have no intention to fight, don't join.
  7. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    from april 2004 till november 2004 i had my conscription service in our army and i hated every minute of it

sure i got better in shape but in the end i got so tired and lazy that i went to bed at 6-7 PM because in our camp there wasn't really much to do except training and fitness stuff

but hey at least we weren't at war ;)
  8. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    Good for you wanting to go into the military. Hopefully it will work for you. I do want to remind you of something: They own your butt 24/7, and if they need you for that, they will use you like that. My brother was in the Navy working on a subtender. He told me about, how after working his regular 8 hour shift, the commander would walk in and tell them a sub pulled up, and they all have to stay and fix it (now a 16-18 hour shift). He told me about making the mistake of answering the phone on a holiday, to be given verbal orders to report for duty, because he was needed. My favorite was how, when his ship was decomissioned, they decided he should be a recruiter instead. About 400 miles from his home.

Just my .02 :)
  9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I haven't served but I am an Army Brat (Dad's a retired Lt. Col. w/a Ranger Tab).

You can make friends for life and, depending on your specialty, advance faster in your field in the Military than you would in the civilian world. But, as others have warned, go into it w/your eyes wide open. If I here one more, "I joined the military but I never thought I'd have to fight" story I'll find that moron and personally kick him in the nuts. :eek: :p

10. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

Mar 11, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    I am not enlisted, but I am a military consultant/civilian contractor.

From what I know I would agree with everyone here. It is an awesome opportunity and if I was younger I would have done it myself. However it all depends on what branch you go in, whom you serve with and how that meshes with your personal attitude.

Get an awesome degree and experience.. see the world and stockpile that cash for after you get out. (I know several guys who lived in the phillipines for free and made a ton on coin while in the service) A free education in law or medicine is very possible and then the sky is the limit.

Good luck
  11. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2004