Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
LethalWolfe said:
Assuming the same price range of bike, is there a difference between gearing? I mean does a 24spd road bike have the same gearing that a 24spd MTB does?

Ugg,
In regards to physical fitness, I'm trying to get back into shape. I started working out again recently and, if I can muster up the will power, will probably bike to the gym as it's only a few miles away.

Lethal

Road bikes are geared for speed and mtn bikes for climbing hills so there can be and usually is a pretty big difference. The smaller size of mtn bike wheels means that you have to pedal more revolutions than someone on a road bike to go the same distance.

An important thing to remember is that the rolling weight of the bike is going to affect you as much as anything else. My current road bike weighs just under 20 pounds whereas my former road bike weighed about 22 pounds. It's not a huge difference in weight but it made a huge difference in my cycling times. Even more important is the weight of the rims, tires and tubes. Slicks are definitely the way to go if you're going long distances on pavement. Ultra knobby tires can actually be dangerous on smooth surfaces.

Be prepared to buy a new seat, harder is actually better in the long run and one with a split rear is best to avoid compressing nerves leading to your dangly bits!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Ugg said:
Road bikes are geared for speed and mtn bikes for climbing hills so there can be and usually is a pretty big difference. The smaller size of mtn bike wheels means that you have to pedal more revolutions than someone on a road bike to go the same distance.
what about hybrid gearing?

Be prepared to buy a new seat, harder is actually better in the long run and one with a split rear is best to avoid compressing nerves leading to your dangly bits!
Hm. Harder is better? Interesting. What makes harder seats better in the long run?

Lethal

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
LethalWolfe said:
what about hybrid gearing?

Hm. Harder is better? Interesting. What makes harder seats better in the long run?

Lethal

Here's a good website that explains gearing better than I could.
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Port/2945/Gears/Gears.html

24 is probably more than you'll ever need, I have 18 but rarely use more than about 6.

Hard seats create less friction. More heat is generated on a cushy seat as your butt instead of sliding back and forth like it would on a hard surface is being hindered :D by the padding. A soft seat may feel better the first few rides as opposed to a hard seat but once your muscles are toned up you'll appreciate the lack of chafing and the ease of changing postions without sticking to your seat.

I've tried a couple of padded seats, but over time the padding gets compressed and you're at the mercy of whatever's underneath and it's rarely the quality of hard seats. Padded seats also tear easier and the tears in the fabric will add to the friction.

A lot of it depends upon the riding you'll be doing too, if you go for a 25+ mile ride, a hard seat will be much better for shorter rides, a soft seat will probably be fine.

hmmfe

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2003
LethalWolfe said:
Lethal

Saddles preference is probably the most subjective part of a bike. But, my answer to your question is that soft saddles tend to spread your weight to parts of your backside (and genitals) that are not designed to carry the weight. Most people find that after an initial break-in period (not the saddle but your ischial tuberosities), harder saddles are better for longer rides. As important, in my mind, is the adjustment of the saddle (along with sizing and adjustment of the bike in general).

I sympathize with your shoppers angst - as I go through the same thing with important purchases. But, I think you might be other thinking your choices. For the casual rider, there is not a ton of difference either way. After all, people used to ride and win the Tour de France on bikes that are heavier and less efficient that most of the bikes you are looking at buying.

As far as gearing, it is pretty much irrelevant in LA. Any modern bike will have a wide enough range to handle anything you'll encounter.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
hmmfe said:
I sympathize with your shoppers angst - as I go through the same thing with important purchases. But, I think you might be other thinking your choices. For the casual rider, there is not a ton of difference either way.
This is nothing compared to when I decided to build my first PC in 2000. I musta spent 6 months researching procs, mobos, cases, case fans, IDE cables (flat v. rounded), soundcards, monitors, video cards, RAM, HDDs, power supplies... Ugh. But that first step is always the hardest because everything is new so you have no point of reference or practical experience to draw upon.

I'm also not typically satisfied being just an "end user" so, for better or for worse, I have a lot of "how" & "why" Q's even if they don't pertain to my situation.

Now, I'm pretty sure that Ugg's ridding level is well above mine (or what I want my level to be in the foreseeable future), but I appreciate his input about gears and seats (as well as yours) because I'm a knowledge whore and it could come in handy someday. ;) Also, it helps me better understand bikes better so when I'm looking at them things look less foreign. That being said I'm probably gonna start w/a softer seat, but if I start ridding more (or if I start chaffing) I'll know that a harder seat might be beneficial. Same deal w/the gearing. As you said for my level of riding and where I'll be ridding gearing isn't that big of deal, but at least I have a basic understanding of gearing and how to use gears to my benefit (thanks to Ugg's link).

Lethal

hmmfe

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2003
Believe me, I am not trying to dissuade you from asking questions, etc. It took me 3 months of research before I bought my new street ride this last summer. :)

I've read some other posts from Ugg and I get the feeling he is pretty level headed in his advice (and certainly all that he has said in this thread is very good info).

Good luck in your research and remember what Lance says, "It's not about the bike"...

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Here is my new bike :)
Pix
I got it from the Beverly Hills Bike Shop here in Los Angeles and they ***** rock. They took fantastic care of me. It's a small, local shop and I can't recommend it enough.

It's a 2006 Gary Fisher Wahoo. I had them swap out the off-road tires for on-road as well as put a softer seat on it for me. I've only ridden about 15 or so miles on it so far, but I love it. Which leads me to my next Q. What is a good bike computer to get for around $40? I'm looking for things like odometer, trip odometer, current speed, etc.,.

Lethal

C

CompUser

I like bike riding.

I have a Schwinn Moab DS3, from like 2003.

It has full suspension, Al frame, Al wheels, Al pedals, gell seat, Mitchellen Tires . I don't really know much about bikes. It was a $600 bike though. I really like it though. I make my friend very jealous, he has a $150 mongoose from wal-mart.

Attachments

• Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 63

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
LethalWolfe said:
I'm looking to spend around $350.

Any advice, experience, and/or suggestions?

Budget more money.

Buy an entry-level Cannondale or a Kona mountain bike.

Slap on some slicks.

Enjoy.

(I know a little bit about bikes. I did this last summer, and probably will this summer, too. Here's a pic of me sucking some air on a 50+mph descent.)

Attachments

• death.jpg
    death.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 101

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
pseudobrit said:
Budget more money.

Buy an entry-level Cannondale or a Kona mountain bike.

Slap on some slicks.

Enjoy.

(I know a little bit about bikes. I did this last summer, and probably will this summer, too. Here's a pic of me sucking some air on a 50+mph descent.)

Unfortunately I can't budget any more money 'cause I already have the bike (see two posts up), but I am in the market for a bike computer in the $40 dollar range though. :)

Lethal

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
LethalWolfe said:
Unfortunately I can't budget any more money 'cause I already have the bike (see two posts up), but I am in the market for a bike computer in the $40 dollar range though. :)

Lethal

Ah, and I'm guilty of not RTFT close enough. Anyway, good call on the slicks/mountain bike combo.

Planetbike 9.0 is a fine computer. I think I got mine for $35 at nashbar.com.

One thing I'd recommend is that you get a harder seat. Soft seats are not good since they compress your soft tissues, something you'll notice the more you ride. A hard seat will abuse your sit bones for a few rides but you'll adapt.

Small world moment: I was at that exact bike shop in July.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
pseudobrit said:
Ah, and I'm guilty of not RTFT close enough. Anyway, good call on the slicks/mountain bike combo.

Planetbike 9.0 is a fine computer. I think I got mine for $35 at nashbar.com.

One thing I'd recommend is that you get a harder seat. Soft seats are not good since they compress your soft tissues, something you'll notice the more you ride. A hard seat will abuse your sit bones for a few rides but you'll adapt.

Small world moment: I was at that exact bike shop in July.

If I start ridding more I'll get a harder seat. Right now I probably put less than 5 miles a week on it. The seat has a hole (for lack of a better term) in the middle of it, is that to help reduce the soft tissue compression?

Do you live around here or were you just in LA for something in July?

Lethal

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
LethalWolfe said:
If I start ridding more I'll get a harder seat. Right now I probably put less than 5 miles a week on it. The seat has a hole (for lack of a better term) in the middle of it, is that to help reduce the soft tissue compression?

Do you live around here or were you just in LA for something in July?

Lethal

I think the marketing behind the hole seat is that it's supposed to take pressure off your ticklish bits, but in reality it's nonsense. 5 miles a week is nothing to worry about though.

I was in California for the Death Ride (in Markleeville, just south of Carson City, NV) and in L.A. staying with a friend.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I suggest finding a good bike shop and getting "fitted" for both the right size and the right style. There is a huge difference in frame geometry between road bikes and mountain bikes. Making sure the bike fits is the difference between enjoying your 20 mile ride or being in pain after 3.

But looking at pervious posts, I see you did that... Okay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.