any danger using generic iphone charging dock from ebay?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jakeopolis, Feb 6, 2010.

1. macrumors member

2. macrumors regular

3. thread starter macrumors member

ok, good to know. anyone else have experience with this? i'm happy with generic products, i just don't wanna mess up my iphone battery with poor charging or something.

4. macrumors 6502

5. macrumors 65816

cons: very light weight.. also if your phone is docked NO sound will come out of it like it does w/ the REAL apple dock.

i own both.. a real and this knockoff in white.

the differences are noted above. other then that it works. when i say its light weight i mean its really light.

6. thread starter macrumors member

cool, thanks for the feedback. this does have an audio out though, couldn't i theoretically plug headphones into that? i'd ideally have 2 of these - one on my desk at home to be used ONLY for charging, one on my desk at work to be used as a charging dock while i listen to music over headphones. what do you think?

7. macrumors 65816

yes it has a head phone jack on the back thats the only way ur gonna get audio out of the dock.

8. thread starter macrumors member

ok, not so bad! thanks for the help.

9. macrumors 6502

I would go with the OEM one, I bought the ebay one and you could wiggle the iphone from left to right when it was docked. I imagine after a few hundred dockings it might mess up the 30 pin connector.

The apple dock is $30.. way to expensive, but currently the only solution that fits the iphone 3g/3gs perfectly

10. macrumors 6502

i'm using two universal docks from ebay for six months (i think).
    no problems at all, although it's not compatible with switcheasy's inserts but i glue it :rolleyes: and it's fine.
    (it's coming with inserts for iphone 3g\s and you can use it with no inserts at all to fit covers and cases...).