Any decent Mac racing games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Qoxiivi, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

I've been looking around Amazon et al for ages trying to find a decent racing game for the Mac. Are there any? You know, ports of Colin McRae Rally or something like that? I'm dying to get some games to show off my new iMac.

Which reminds me, any other games that might be worth considering? I'm thinking of buying Unreal Tournament 2004, Doom 3 (possibly - depending on how it'll run) and Halo but I'm not sure what else to buy. At the moment I'm just playing the original GLQuake (takes me back) and, would you believe, the original Doom (albeit with a few Doom Legacy related tweaks). Apart from FPS I also like racing (obviously) and the odd role-play/adventure/strategy game too :)

Also, how will my iMac cope with the aforementioned games? It's the 2.1Ghz 20" model with X600 XT and 1.5gig of RAM.

Cheers!

Qoxiivi

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I have yet to find a good mac racing game

3. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Nascar & JamminRacer

There are two Mac racing games that I have enjoyed:

First, Nascar Racing 2002 and its 2003 sequel are great simulators with good graphics, presentation, sound and physics. The control is very unforgiving and takes some getting used to. You may even find some multiplayer games of Nascar 2003 on GameRanger.
    http://www.aspyr.com/games.php/mac/sierra2003/

Second, JamminRacer is a great shareware title worth paying for. It is a cart racing game with colourful graphics and cute characters. Great fun but no online multiplayer.
    http://www.danlabgames.com/index.php?rub=jammin&computer=mac

4. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Nascar Racing 2003 has a ton of mod's including the Ferrari 330 which is my favorite. Run on all your favorite European road courses. It's a BLAST.

5. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Feral Interactive are bringing Colin McRae Rally 2005 to the Mac, but the due date is Autumn 2005, for what that's worth.

Other notable racing games

4x4 Evolution
    4x4 Evolution 2
    Ford Racing 2
    Total Immersion Racing
    F1 Championship Season
    Rally Shift

Still, most are pretty old, of those listed above I've only played 4x5 Evolution, and the Carmageddons before that! ;)

6. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

SWEET! I'll have to break out the old Momo for that one :D

7. Qoxiivi thread starter macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

Cheers people - looking forward to Colin McRae 2005. Hope I'll get a consistent 30fps on my iMac.

Q

8. amholl macrumors 6502

I enjoyed Ford Racing. Also, for FPS COD is great fun and startegy, Age of Empires is a timeless game. All the jedi games are also fun, even if u dont like star wars. Dont worry about your system for any games. It should keep up very nicely for the next few years, especially because of the extra RAM.