Any Dish Network users around here?

Discussion in 'Community' started by ExoticFish, Mar 9, 2004.

1. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    If so, what do you think of this crap that's going on? I mean no MTV2, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central? These are some of the channels I watch the most of!! Plus, the whole "Oh we'll give you $1 off your bill." crap... are they serious? If dish didn't have these channels I would never have gotten them!!! What I've read is that Viacom raised the prices so Echostar said "No way" even though it equals out to like $.06 for every viewer. I mean SIX CENTS??? I certainly hope that Echostar doesn't keep this up cause if they do I imagine they'll start losing customers.

2. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

My schools "cable tv" comes from the Dish Network, and today I find that MTV and Comedy Central are gone replaced by some "we are sorry but you would be pay more if you caved in...crap"

Why can't companies just do what is be for comsumers????

Well at least I still have Fox News and the History Channel.

3. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Yeah, we got DISH after Comcast told us it would be a month before they could hook us up, even though the house we moved into was built in the middle of an established neighborhood that already has cable.

This is about more than 6 cents, at least according to this link:

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/news/030804echostar/

Viacom wants to force DISH to carry some channels (consuming limited bandwidth) in order to get CBS. DISH doesn't want to be told what they have to carry. Personally, I don't like Viacom, but it does look like DISH's "40% rate hike" number was pulled out of a hat. Regardless of who's right or who eventually wins, the consumer is being held hostage here.

We'll probably stick with DISH, and MTV can have a "channel malfunction" as far as I'm concerned.

No, I don't work for either DISH or Viacom.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ahhhh just makes me more happy that i dont have any cable tv or recieve any cable tv...i have my movies and my dvd player....but really Viacom and Dish need to sort this out and it should never have come to this because they should be working together for the intrest of the consumer....im sure that will happen some day, when pigs can fly...

5. ExoticFish thread starter macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    as much as I don't really care for MTV anymore, I do like a few show's I've gotten sucked into, plus MTV2 has some good stuff, but I dunno, I agree with understand what Dish wants and I understand that Viacom wants to dominate the world, but this will interupt my TV watching which is not good. :mad:

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This same issue has come up with ESPN and some cable companys in that ESPN wanted to up rated by 20% and the cable comp said no, however a contract was reached before any networks were pulled off the air. It sounds like Viacom tried to pull a fast one over DISH even if it is only 6 cents. A contract is a contract and if DISH didnt like the change they have a right to not carry anything.

7. PixelFactory macrumors regular

Viacom pulled this when Final Four was going on to force Dish into paying more. Dish has a big pair to just stop broadcasting these channels. I watch Comedy Central all the time and will miss it while these companies argue. If this goes on for a while, Dish is bound to lose customers to other services. I wonder if it is considered a breech of contract with the users seeing they are not providing the channels now.