Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use iTunes on your Mac to DJ?

• Yes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • I do but not on a Mac

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jer2eydevil88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2004
USA
I am working on a project to create an iTunes kiosk application that will let DJ's or even College students host a party and let the computer ask as the DJ.

The program will let the owner retake control and quickly delete or add any songs they choose.

Here is an early screenshot of the application with a few of the features still not added. I will update with a new screen shot next time I have local access to the machine (this was done through VNC and for some reason the .net buttons won't display).

My roommate is doing most of the coding and I am contributing with the website and skin work (note the skin in this build is an early incomplete version). Also I have convinced him to co-develop an OS X version alongside the Windows build so speak up with any ideas you might have for us.

I don't know if it's against any rules here to post links to my site so if you are interested in finding out more please PM me and i'll send you the URL for the website.

dylan

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
What's wrong with iTunes' Party Shuffle playlist? :confused:

Or am I missing something?

jer2eydevil88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Nothing :)

It works great if you don't allow people to touch it.

Our software lets users add songs but not remove them, nor can you leave a computer out during a party with only iTunes open and expect people to monkey with it. We are basically turning a computer into a Music Kiosk for large audiences or big parties. iTunes party shuffle is more of a home party where you don't mind if your guests can change the song immediately. If you are in the business of entertaining guests and you want to have a new toy to bring out for clients then our software is something new and fun but as you point out it’s also for a limited audience.

College students who throw a party and don’t want to let their friends monkey with their pc but still want them to be able to pick songs will also benefit from this software.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
dylan said:
What's wrong with iTunes' Party Shuffle playlist? :confused:

Or am I missing something?

there really isnt quite the control there that dj's want. i presume the person is meaning proper dj'ing like with mixing and all that. a bit like virtual dj (or what ever its called) on windows where you get a crossfader, samples etc?

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
Pleanty of big name DJs use ableton live on macs, the software is very different to yours though, obviously targeting very different types of DJs

jer2eydevil88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Thanks for telling me about Ableton, I guess you could say I am new to this field.

I am a bit suprised that they charge that much money for that software.

We are nearly done with the Windows build of the software and we will release a public beta when we feel its ready.

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
I don't really see how you can consider iTunes as a 'dj' app, tracktor is, and that what I use, iTunes is way too limiting for 'dj'-ing, as previously said - at best its a party shuffle!

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
jer2eydevil88 said:
Thanks for telling me about Ableton, I guess you could say I am new to this field.

I am a bit suprised that they charge that much money for that software.

We are nearly done with the Windows build of the software and we will release a public beta when we feel its ready.

Ableton is great! It's a full-fledged sequencer, sampler, and music production studio. Daft Punk, Sasha, Paul van Dyk, Underworld, among many other electronic musicians and DJs use it now.

As more of a vinyl-DJ setup there's always Final Scratch, and Traktor as mentioned above.

Not to look down on what you're coding, but isn't it pretty much the same as an iTunes playlist?

When you get more into DJing, it's not really about what songs you play all in a row, but also having the ability to introduce songs at certain points, to beatmatch, to be able to speed up or slow down songs, etc. And that's just vinyl; Ableton Live lets you add in software effect plugins and loop samples, etc.

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
I know they use powerbooks at Pure at Caesars in Vegas in the DJ booth. No clue what software they use, as I just noticed the computer up there.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
What you're suggesting is a Duke Box!

I have been using Ableton Live for DJing for a year or so now (the price is very reasonable for the immense spec that you get). I love the lease of life that using software has given me after 15 years of djing with vinyl.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.