Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I have acne. It was really bad, but after I took Accutane about four years ago, it wasn't that bad. But I'd like to get rid of them completely.

Anyway, with the backstory out of the way... what do you think of the regimen on this page,

http://acne.org/regimen.html

? Is this safe to try? What do you think?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I can't tell much from that website. It's run by a student, not a doctor, who refers to the method as "my regimen" and says he wants to conduct research on it, although he is clearly promoting it with success stories as if it is already proven to always work.

I hope you will choose a treatment based on independent medical information, such as this, or in consultation with a dermatologist, rather than trust information from web sites that sell supplies or promote only one method without considering the tradeoffs.

Edit: I should mention that I'm not a medical doctor.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I have used Accutane, and I guess I'm in the same boat as you --- I want rid of it all.

Benzoyl Peroxide is decent, but it bleaches your clothes. Never walk outside with benzoyl peroxide if it's raining.

My "secret"......if you can say that.......is not touching your face. I also don't bother with moisturizers because I think it makes it worse, meaning either it plugs up the pores, or it causes dead skin to stick around. I don't mind dry skin, although it does sometimes itch. I have learned to not scratch (often), and to have clean hands all the time so that if I scratch my face by accident, it's not as big a deal.

But yeah, benzoyl peroxide would work. I just don't understand how it's supposed to kill the bacteria growing inside a clogged pore when it's applied to the surface of the skin. :confused: But it does work okay. Get 5%.

Oh, and change your bath towel and face cloth often. I mean, wash it every week, maximum, although it would be better to wash it after 4-5 days, I think. Don't just do it whenever you remember to. :p

scubabeano

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2005
London
A solution for acne

I've had acne for the last 18 years (i'm a 31 yr old woman) and i've been through lists and lists of treatments with no success BUT i've finally found something that totally works and it's ProActiv.
i initially used it every night before i went to bed, but now i use it about 3 times a week and it keeps the zits at bay perfectly. IT REALLY DOES WORK you just have to stick with it (it takes about 2 months for a significant change).
TryProActiv - i guarantee if you stick with it, it'll work. It has for me!
:)

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Don't touch your face, clean it as much as you can without exceeding your time in front of the mirror, creams and gels should be recommended by a doctor, but don't go to sleep with a dirty face.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Isn't Accutane supposed to be the only real 'cure' for acne (I was told it rids it for 7/10 people)? A friend has tried it and she now has incredible skin. :)

My dermatologist didn't feel I needed it as my skin cleared up well with:

Duac on the outside and Tetralysal. It hits it from both sides and I'm now pretty happy with it after suffering (no other word for it) for years.

Also, (and forgive me Raven if this doesn't apply!) shaving and ingrown hairs are a major cause of acne in post-teen years that no amount of anti-biotics will cure. Together with the medication and this amazing stuff called TendSkin, they only happen very occasionally now.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Go to the beach.

I'm lucky enough to not have an acne problem but apparently the mixture of sunshine, salt water and sand does wonders for the skin. :)

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
mad jew said:
Go to the beach.

I'm lucky enough to not have an acne problem but apparently the mixture of sunshine, salt water and sand does wonders for the skin. :)

Absolutely. Salt water and sun is great for it.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
mad jew said:
Go to the beach.

i was blessed with a decent complexion, so this hasn't been an issue for me. when my brother was much younger however, he did have an acne problem- the beach always cleared it up after about two weeks :D

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I don't think I have acne, however I do have many spots.

What I've been using is the Loreal Pure Zone regimen. (1. Cleanse, 2. Tone, and 3. Moisturize).

The moisturiser stops the skin from regreasing and does not clog pores. It is essential to moisturise, because if you wash your face, your body automatically makes more sebum to replace the moisture you stripped out when you washed your face - causing spots. So that is why you must moisturise, no matter the type of skin you have.

So basically you want to wake up in the morning, shave, use Pure Zone number one in the shower. Come out of the shower and pat dry your face gently. Then get dressed and use a cottonpad with number 2. which may sting (this tightens all your pores and removes all the cleanser). Now, after you have done that, use the moisturiser. But not too much, just enough to rub into your face.

You may find that mid way during the day your face is slightly greasy to touch, so use a cotton pad with number 2, and wipe it clean. Then at night time, do 1,2 and 3 all over again.

On top of that, take a vitamin E tablet. And hopefully you should have much nicer skin in a couple of weeks.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
AlBDamned said:
Isn't Accutane supposed to be the only real 'cure' for acne (I was told it rids it for 7/10 people)? A friend has tried it and she now has incredible skin. :)

Several years ago as a teen with really bad acne, after trying *everything* else, I went with Accutane...my doctor described it as what should be a 'last resort'. It worked really, really well. I had results within 7-10 days and the problem never came back. But, it's really, really nasty stuff...taking it is not a very pleasant experience. Basically, to get results, it stops your pores from producing the oil that causes acne while you're taking it. The skin on your face gets really dry (I had to walk around with a little tube of moisturizer), and in my case, my lips got really chapped. If I left the house to go to work without the moisturizer or chap stick, I'd be in misery all day.

I'd do it again, though.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
A friend in HS used tetracycline and his acne went from extreme to almost nothing. He said his skin dried and flaked offeverywhere on his body then his acne was gone and his skin went back to normal.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
MattG said:
Several years ago as a teen with really bad acne, after trying *everything* else, I went with Accutane...my doctor described it as what should be a 'last resort'. It worked really, really well. I had results within 7-10 days and the problem never came back. But, it's really, really nasty stuff...taking it is not a very pleasant experience. Basically, to get results, it stops your pores from producing the oil that causes acne while you're taking it. The skin on your face gets really dry (I had to walk around with a little tube of moisturizer), and in my case, my lips got really chapped. If I left the house to go to work without the moisturizer or chap stick, I'd be in misery all day.

I'd do it again, though.

Ditto the 'last resort' is what my dermo called it. Definitely powwerfull stuff. Said friend who tried it had a really bad problem of the skin inside her nose drying up and peeling, it looked pretty painful.

Side effects :eek:

The Duac stuff dried my skin out at first, but then I got to grips with it and it's cool now. Did at first bleach a few of my clothes though!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Go to the pool.

Chlorine is an excellent sanitizer and helps to heal the skin.

Luckily, I never had a problem with it, but have a few friends who ended up on the Accutane route with good results.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Some long term "fixes" rather, prevention of acne-- eat well, drink enough water, sleep well (I always sprout at least one zit the morning after I don't get enough sleep), don't dry your skin out! If your skin becomes overly dry, your pores will be signaled to churn out extra oil... which could very likely lead to breaking out.

If you have more sensitive skins, stick to creamier face washes. If you are going to use astringent/toners-- find alcohol-free ones. For moisturizers, it might help to get lighter textures (gel-like vs creamy) and there a decent number of moisturizers that are 1) oil-free and 2) beefed up w/ either benzoyl peroxide (sp?) or salicic acid (I know that one is misspelt!).

Echoing amigo mac, don't touch your face! Another biggie... if you talk on phones frequently (including cells) do NOT let any part of the phone touch your face. Or if you can't help it, than regularly clean/disinfect the phone surfaces.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I've never had bad acne, but I have not had much luck getting rid of it.

I've tried a plethora of products, and the one that has worked for me has been Neutrogena's oil free acne wash. It hasn't totally gotten rid of my acne, but it's the only thing that has done something.

I've tried the organic/chemical-free brands, they worsened the condition :(.

I tried ProActiv and it didn't help.

I've tried the cremes that you put on your face after washing it and they rarely work and sometimes make it worse.

I think everyone's face reacts differently to different treatments though, so I encourage you to try everything you can and just see what works best for you :).

scem0

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I used to have bad acne as well, but a different approach worked for me. I went on Tetracycline to start, then Septra, and my doctor wanted to put me on Acutane. But after reading about the side effects such as hair loss and the heavy duty stuff that your body has to process, I really didn't want to take it. And I realize it's worked for many people, and for really bad cases, it may be your only option, but for me, the ends didn't justify the means - it just seemed to toxic and intense - I was concerned with long-term effects and the side effects you don't know about, because they always exist.

Instead, I put up with it until about 4 years ago. That's when I started changing my lifestyle. I cut out pop, chips, pizza, fast food, all that garbage. My sugar intake went way down, and I started eating healthy and going to the gym - I had never gone before in my entire life. Whether it was due to me purging my body of all those toxins (cutting back on sugar, greasy food, dropping 30+ pounds, etc.), or due to my immune system finally getting the proper fuel that it needed (healthy food) to work properly and fight infection better, I don't know, but my acne fully cleared up naturally, with no medication at all. I am now in the best shape of my life and healthier than I have ever been - I no longer need any medication for anything, all my ailments have disappeared, and I never get sick anymore. It's wonderful!

I'm not saying this would work for everyone, as I'm sure there are some people out there who have worse acne than I did, but I wanted to share my story regardless. It is another experience which adds to my ever-growing list of why I dislike many (not all) doctor's mentalities and the health care system in general. All the doctors I have been to have always been so quick to prescribe drugs for me - for everything. I have found time and time again that they basically have tunnel vision, are quick to write me a prescription for anything, and never think outside the box. It was the same with my asthma - I was on medication for it for years and years. Then, once I started changing my lifestyle and actually becoming healthy, it went away - I haven't needed an inhaler for the past 4 years. So for me, 15 years of drugs could not accomplish what 3 years of no medication and healthy living did. :cool:

So that's basically my rant - doctors seem to look at drugs as the only possible solution to ailments, and the "health care system" in general is more of a "disease care system" - they only treat you after you have an ailment, and just push drugs to mask or postpone symptoms without being preventative and proactive in helping you not become sick in the first place. I realize acne is a different matter of course, but still, just had to get that out there... ;)

Anyway, that's my story for what it's worth. :cool:

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Toothpaste.

Any over the counter creams and facial washes.

Aloe.

My sister uses toothpaste for her acne, and she has quite a bit. Not so much it's weird and disgusting, but when they form, they form in bunches. She started using toothpaste on them for whatever reason even though her creams and facial washes were effective. The toothpaste does help control the swelling.

I use a facial wash once in a long while (as in whenever I have a really bad breakout). Your pores feel much cleaner. Then, I place cream on each individual zit. I use cream almost once daily after that initial breakout.

My friend had some really really bad acne. Mounds and mounds of zits formed on his cheeks, and it was and oily mess. Someone told him to take fresh aloe, cut it up, and smear the juices over his troubled spots. He did that for a while, and things cleared up completely. I tried some aloe myself on one spot, and it did seem to speed up clearing the zit.

And one more thing I've heard...

Take a clean pin or needle, and stick the acne. Let it pop and put cream over it.

Personally, I don't go as far as using a pin. But, when that zit is yellow, I pop it and put cream on it right way. Despite what people say about not popping zits, etc., I do it anyway. And I haven't had any horrible outbreaks. It's a really only been a zit here or there and that's all.

Oh, and the greasy food thing is myth, from what I read. Eating healthy might have an indirect effect on helping you deal with acne (such as building up your immunity), but the greasy food itself isn't creating more outbreaks.

scubabeano

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2005
London
Seems like lots of people here have experience's of acne - and everyone has a different solution. Shard is absolutely right that eating healthily and exercising can be the answer - it helps to regulate your body's hormones (especially naughty testosterone, the arch enemy of good skin).
But i would really encourage using Proactiv - the vast majority of users get great results with very little side effects (i didn't have any problems at all).
I'm not paid by Proactiv to push it (!), i just know how horrible it is to suffer from acne, and i'd love it if others could improve their skin like mine's improved.

scubabeano

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2005
London
I looked at the acne.org site, and it looks very similar to Proactive (which is based on benzyl peroxide too). The only thing different is that i only put my medication on at night - otherwise it bleaches your clothes a bit. Also the Proactiv lotion that contains the PB is also a moisturiser, so it doesn't made your skin so red.
Give one of them a try (really stick with it though! i think most people give up too early on acne medications, which is why they don't seem to work). Give yourself at least 3 months of dedicated use - you owe it to yourself!
Read this if you're thinking of stopping it.
Good luck!

_Matt

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2005
i have had very slight acne but for now i have it under control...there aren't a lot of ways to cure acne after its become a serious issue, but when i do have breakouts i do the following:

drink plenty of water
wash face with regular antibacterial soap in the morning and at night...
i use the original Noxcema...i apply a thin layer of it after i wash my face in the morning and leave it on for a while. twice a week at nights i apply a good amount of it all over my face and let it dry.
non-comedogenic moisturizers such as cetaphil- most people think moisturizers are bad and clog pores but its safe if it says non-comedogenic...when you apply this type of moisturizer to your face after thoroughly cleaning it the moisturizer creates an invisible barrier over your skin which prevents clogged pores. don't use too much because then it might be too greasy...

i hope this helps for those who are having slight problems with acne, but for serious breakouts i would consult a dermatologist who can tell you exactly what you need for your type of skin and the severity of your acne.

oh and regular facials soften pores and make it much easier to clean them out, and also reduce the size of the pores...

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
I wouldn't ever use accutane. You have to have blood tests and all that crap that goes along with it. Unless your are the pimple on the acne's face I would not use it.

Retin-a (generic) Trentinoin I hear works very well. Not only does it fight the bacteria it also takes off layers of skin, so cosmetically it removes wrinkles and blackheads. Bactrim oral antibiotics, a medicine for treating all kinds of infections works well too although it does have some side effects like lack of appetite. A lot of doctors prescribe clindamycin which from what I hear, does very little and makes your skin greasy.

There is the Blue-Light cold laser treatment. I have been asked about it and I have asked a few dematologists. None of the dematologists have really answered my question when I ask them about it.

There are lots of medications out there, see a good dermatologist. If have been on the same treatment for 2 years and nothing has happended, you really should switch to a new one, especially ones that are involved with hospital reaserch.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Proactive is great, I'd recommend that.

Thankfully, I don't suffer from bad acne, but if I do breakout, I use Proactive for a few days after, and that fixes everything. Otherwise, I use Salicylic acid pads (usually 2%) everyday to get any minor stuff.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Sharewaredemon said:
And a good story it was ~Shard~, thanks for sharing.

No problem - thank you for reading it. ;) :)

applekid said:
Oh, and the greasy food thing is myth, from what I read. Eating healthy might have an indirect effect on helping you deal with acne (such as building up your immunity), but the greasy food itself isn't creating more outbreaks.

Thanks for clarifying this, you're absolutely right. As I stated above, when I overhauled my diet and cut out all the garbage I was eating, this got rid of my acne, but it wasn't necessarily because of the food itself, rather what the food was doing to my body, the reaction my body was having to it (producing extra oils in some cases, etc.) and the fact that my immune system wasn't operating at an optimum level in order to fight infections and the like. So yes, what you eat does matter, but not directly per se. Unless you wipe your greasy fingers all over your face after eating a bag of chips. ;)

scubabeano said:
Shard is absolutely right that eating healthily and exercising can be the answer - it helps to regulate your body's hormones (especially naughty testosterone, the arch enemy of good skin).

Yes, this was another factor I forgot to mention in my original post - thanks for that - the hormones can be a key component as well. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.