Any drawbacks to buying refurb?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by worldwearyeyes, Apr 6, 2006.

1. worldwearyeyes macrumors regular

Looking at the refurb 20" iMac that Apple is selling. With the same warranty as a new imac, are there any drawbacks to buying this over a "new" one?

cheers...

2. iGary Guest

iGary

You don't get the "real" original Apple box (comes in a brown box).

Aside from that, it does have the warranty, but you are risking buying a machine that may have already had problems and the problems that may come with that.

Some users reportgetting a machine with better specs than specified. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurb.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've been happy with all of my refurb purchases. I actually like the idea of buying an electronics product that's been through the factory twice, with the assumption that it gets more quality control attention the second time around.

4. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

And I don't even the think the brown box is definite. I think I've read comments here that some people who bought refurbs get the original/nice packaging. It seems like it's hit or miss.

I'm considering a refurb for my next purchase too. This topic comes up often, and I've rad a lot of positive comments...

5. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I've been very happy with my Powerbook refurb. And like iGary said, some people receive higher spec machines than what they ordered. I ordered one with a 60 GB hard-drive, and got one with 80, and it was stated to ship with Panther, I got Tiger. There wasn't a mark on it and to this day it runs perfectly mint, aside from whatever I do to it. :p I would highly recommend it.

6. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

My refurb PB was worth it. No problems, and it didn't even have a blemish. I think the software was packaged in a ziplock bag though.

7. manglerbmx macrumors newbie

manglerbmx

i bought a referb powermac and came in original box and software was in little package too just like new ones. i guess it just kinda depends sometimes.

8. DrumaChick420 macrumors newbie

About refurbs- Does all the software come with the comps as stated when buying a new one? OS, Ilife 06 etc? How about the hand book etc?

Also, from the time you buy it does one have a year of the free warranty?

Off topic- Can you purchase the Apple Protection plan at a later date or do you need to buy it at the time of purchase?

Seriouly considering a refurb right now.
    Thanks.
    J.

9. generik macrumors 601

generik

Is it possible to buy a refurb and get a badly dented/scratched up machine?

I don't mind getting a brown box, but what'd irk me is getting a comestically marred computer right out of the box :(

10. asxtb macrumors 6502

I bought an iSight that was used on the floor at my local Apple Store. It has a few blemishes on the casing but the thing works great!

Don't think it actually qualifies for being labeled as refurbished though.