any drops, spills, or cigarettes on you laptop?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Nov 14, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

my ibook has had its shiny plastic parts like the handle develop hairline cracks in it. but that's just bout all'

but my PC laptop has had it's back latch holding lcd on just pop off and the feet on the Pc laptop fell offf and i could't get anything to make them stick on it until i discovered super glue

and the lcd screen feels flimsy and not too stable

so far i have not spilled anything on it...knock on wood

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Well, the only laptop I use is a Compaq Evo N600c at work. I've been dropping hints all over the place for a PowerBook, but since that hasn't happened yet, I have to use this one.

The N600c is a reliable unit. The display lid is metal and we haven't had any problems with anything feeling flimsy or falling off. Battery life has been stable as well over the life of the unit (about 2 years). It sure works better than my previous Dell.

I think that no matter what manufacturer's laptop you have, the bulk of the breakage of hardware is due to misue/abuse (I'm not saying you did that to yours).

3. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

i've dropped my iBook a few times - man these little blighters are tough! I've not spilt anything in it but a friend of mine knocked a whole can of lager over his TiBook. It was fine after half an hour!

4. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

My girlfriend knocked a FULL glass of red wine on my Pismo's keyboard a couple of years ago. It cost $US300 for a secondhand replacement.

5. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Crumbs crumbs and more crumbs. They are in every spot imaginable on my PB. Around the track pad, in that little space between the plastic trim and the aluminum. underneath the keyboard. I need to get one of those little vacuums :(

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Here's the general rule that should apply to everyone:

Do NOT eat or drink while at the computer!

:end transmission:

8. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I once tripped on the stairs and fell flat on my back with my iBook in my backpack. It's perfectly OK, but my peanut butter and jelly sandwich got smashed.

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I baby my TiBook. I have managed to knick the corner of the screen casing though, on a wall once. :(

10. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Yeah, but what about those of us who like to live on the dangerous side of life? :p

11. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I dropped a 14" iBook I used to own on the driveway while I was getting out of a friend's car...but thats it.

I do eat and drink around my computers, but I try to be very careful. I'm sure it'll catch up with me one day :)

12. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

As a tech, I've seen
    Coffee- take apart rinse with tap water, blow with air and dry. That was well over a year ago. Just now getting flaky. Told the person to not worry, since computers use Java.

Had a person spill hot chocolate in theirs. :eek: We managed to save the HD. Everything else was a gooie mess, even after washing. Told him if he was running X, he would have been ok. (Cocoa, get it?).

Had a person spill Coke in a pc laptop- Killed it. Managed to save the hard drive, though.

Personally, I haven't spilled anything in my machine. I have been very fortunate in that respect.

13. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

a friend of mine who rode horses spilled saddle oil on her laptop. turned it into a 104-key doorstop.

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think most of the crumbs actually come from things other than food :confused:

15. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Im careful with my laptop. The thing doesnt have any scratches nor any dents.

The other day I was walking with it and it hit the corner of a door. So solidly built, my 12 inch albook is that it dented the door but left no mark on the 'book.

16. Island Roots macrumors regular

I use to own an 800MHz G3 iBook; I dropped it once from about 3 feet with the laptop open. Soon thereafter I noticed the display started to separate from the case housing; called up AppleCare and had them replace the case housing :p