Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
my ibook has had its shiny plastic parts like the handle develop hairline cracks in it. but that's just bout all'

but my PC laptop has had it's back latch holding lcd on just pop off and the feet on the Pc laptop fell offf and i could't get anything to make them stick on it until i discovered super glue

and the lcd screen feels flimsy and not too stable

so far i have not spilled anything on it...knock on wood

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Well, the only laptop I use is a Compaq Evo N600c at work. I've been dropping hints all over the place for a PowerBook, but since that hasn't happened yet, I have to use this one.

The N600c is a reliable unit. The display lid is metal and we haven't had any problems with anything feeling flimsy or falling off. Battery life has been stable as well over the life of the unit (about 2 years). It sure works better than my previous Dell.

I think that no matter what manufacturer's laptop you have, the bulk of the breakage of hardware is due to misue/abuse (I'm not saying you did that to yours).

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
i've dropped my iBook a few times - man these little blighters are tough! I've not spilt anything in it but a friend of mine knocked a whole can of lager over his TiBook. It was fine after half an hour!

zoetropeuk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
Oxford UK
My girlfriend knocked a FULL glass of red wine on my Pismo's keyboard a couple of years ago. It cost $US300 for a secondhand replacement.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Crumbs crumbs and more crumbs. They are in every spot imaginable on my PB. Around the track pad, in that little space between the plastic trim and the aluminum. underneath the keyboard. I need to get one of those little vacuums :(

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Here's the general rule that should apply to everyone:

Do NOT eat or drink while at the computer!

:end transmission:

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Originally posted by 7on
Here's the general rule that should apply to everyone:

Do NOT eat or drink while at the computer!

:end transmission:

Yeah, but what about those of us who like to live on the dangerous side of life? :p

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I dropped a 14" iBook I used to own on the driveway while I was getting out of a friend's car...but thats it.

I do eat and drink around my computers, but I try to be very careful. I'm sure it'll catch up with me one day :)

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
As a tech, I've seen
Coffee- take apart rinse with tap water, blow with air and dry. That was well over a year ago. Just now getting flaky. Told the person to not worry, since computers use Java.

Had a person spill hot chocolate in theirs. :eek: We managed to save the HD. Everything else was a gooie mess, even after washing. Told him if he was running X, he would have been ok. (Cocoa, get it?).

Had a person spill Coke in a pc laptop- Killed it. Managed to save the hard drive, though.

Personally, I haven't spilled anything in my machine. I have been very fortunate in that respect.

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
a friend of mine who rode horses spilled saddle oil on her laptop. turned it into a 104-key doorstop.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Im careful with my laptop. The thing doesnt have any scratches nor any dents.

The other day I was walking with it and it hit the corner of a door. So solidly built, my 12 inch albook is that it dented the door but left no mark on the 'book.

Island Roots

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2003
I use to own an 800MHz G3 iBook; I dropped it once from about 3 feet with the laptop open. Soon thereafter I noticed the display started to separate from the case housing; called up AppleCare and had them replace the case housing :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.