Any dual 2.5 PM complaints?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tinydancer, Sep 23, 2004.

1. tinydancer macrumors regular

I know that there are shipping problems with the Dual 2.5 Power Macs, but for those who have used or received yours, are there any complaints? Are you dissatisified with any aspect of the machine, or are you completely happy with the Power Mac? I am curious if complanits are based on personal preference (ie. I wish they would have....) or if you all have encountered any problems related to design, hardware or use.

2. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

I'm dissatisfied with the fact that the firewire 400/800 is crap for external drives--even the G4's firewire is better (check out http://barefeats.com).

Also it's lacking some important specs (More HD drive bays, More PCI slots), but I knew about those before I bought it.

In addition I ordered my GeForce 6800 Vid card on 6/28 and I haven't gotten it yet...

Apart from that, it's fine. Not great, but fine. It doesn't boot in 5 seconds, nor does it open programs infinitely faster than my old G4. It burns DVDs OK, but ripping is still the same speed.

The only real difference I see is in the tasks that require tons of power (which is why I bought the machine). Video rendering is actually at a reasonable speed, gaming's a LOT better (even with the 9600), and photoshop runs like textedit.

3. Xenious macrumors 6502a

I really enjoy mine. I'm a recent switcher so I decided to go all out. The lack of games sucks, but I keep a Windows box around for it. It seems very responsive and fast (except for 3d graphics because I am running the stock 9600fx card).

I got it with 1gig of memory and the bluetooth and wifi modules. If your budget allows for a 2.5 I recommend it.
    -jim

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I like that -- very true...

Esp. with 2.5gb RAM & Raptors as boot & scratch drives.

Apart from good points above... plasticcy CD trays, worried that one slip will break it in two.

Main probs are to do with Panther, still get too many beachballs even when doing basic things...

5. kcourt macrumors member

I've had my 2.5 since September 1....So far, it is nothing but awesome. I upgraded from a G4 tower, 400mhz, so it is a lot faster on everything.

One thing I do often - before and after every upgrade, I run the Disk Utility (in utilities folder) and repair permissions. I also bought Macaroni (Atomic Bird - $8.99), which automates regular daily, weekly and monthly maintenance for those who turn their computers off at night, which I do.

I had to upgrade a few programs to run exclusively on OS X, but they would still run in Classic, which comes uup automatically.

I have also started using Safari and the Mac Mail program for the internet - both work very well.

It is worth the money, and long wait - I ordered on 6/29 and finally got it on 9/1.

Kathy :D

6. kcourt macrumors member

I've had my 2.5 since September 1....So far, it is nothing but awesome. I upgraded from a G4 tower, 400mhz, so it is a lot faster on everything.

One thing I do often - before and after every upgrade, I run the Disk Utility (in utilities folder) and repair permissions. I also bought Macaroni (Atomic Bird - $8.99), which automates regular daily, weekly and monthly maintenance for those who turn their computers off at night, which I do.

I had to upgrade a few programs to run exclusively on OS X, but they would still run in Classic, which comes up automatically. I think eventually I will get rid of all of my 9.2 appplications because they do not look nearly as nice as those that work exclusively on OS X.

I have also started using Safari for my browser, instead of IE, and the Mac Mail program to replace OE - both work very well.

I have to admit there are a lot of features that I have

It is worth the money, and long wait - I ordered on 6/29 and finally got it on 9/1.

Kathy :D