any easy way to sync my 2 iTunes libraries?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by erikpmort, Jan 15, 2007.

1. erikpmort macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2006
    my 2 macs have different music in each library.... is there any way sync the 2 librarys?
  2. swiftaw macrumors 603

Jan 31, 2005
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Can probably help you, but need some more info.

Are your two libraries completely different or are the some overlapping songs?

Do you want all play count info to be retained or do you just want all the same songs on both computers?
  3. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

May 7, 2003
    Saint Augustine, FL
    Same questions as previous poster, but here's some shortcuts to advise:

Assuming you mean "combine", you can choose your new main machine and import all the songs + libraries into iTunes on the main machine. You will, sadly, loose playcounts.

If you mean "sync", then it more or less requires that the music be stored in some common spot (might I suggest a USB drive hooked to a new Airport Extreme), and then point both iTunes Libraries to that location. However, that is also not ideal, as items added to the library from Computer #1 won't automnatically show up for Computer #2, unless you perform the rather tricky idea of linking ~/Music/iTunes to the third party drive, then all computers *should* have a sync'd library. I have never actually tried that however.
  4. erikpmort thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2006
    i don't even know what play count is. i have some overlapping songs or i would just firewire it all to the other computer. I was just wondering if there was a "smart" way of doing it so i didn't have to look at each individual song and put it in a folder to drag into the other computer....