Any EE Students here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Josh396, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I was wondering if there are any Electrical Engineer students here (or in the profession). I'm a freshman currently working on a convertor that needs to be made for class. Anybody know where I could find some help with this? Our teacher is leaving it entirely up to us to finish.

The convertor needs to be able to convert two's complement into sign magnitude and I planned on using for multiplexers to accomplish that but I just can't make any progress with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Melkor macrumors 6502

Care to elaborate?

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

V=IR

what else do you need to know? ;)

(only took one EE class on my way to an ME degree... painful memories)

4. Josh396 thread starter macrumors 65816

Josh396

Well all was fine up until now. I have an A in the class but I just can't seem to figure this out and I know it's not all that hard.

5. Josh396 thread starter macrumors 65816

Josh396

Sorry about that. It posted just that part and I didn't even know what was going on. It seems to be back to normal now.

6. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I'm an EEE graduate, (only a 3rd after personal problems in my 2nd and final years), so might be able to help you out a little. My intention is now to get into technical journalism, (or any journalism to be honest, especally music or political related work), so i'm not so great at the moment. I may have to refresh my memory before any help. If you want to, drop me an email at my address in profile and I will get back to you.

7. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Dude, seriously. I'm a junior civil engineering student. If I had to take another EE class, I'd shoot myself! :eek:

8. Josh396 thread starter macrumors 65816

Josh396

It's not all that bad...;)

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

it's worse... :p :D

10. Josh396 thread starter macrumors 65816

Josh396

haha... good point.

11. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I think you wouldn't learn anything if we told you how to do it.... I'm just kidding I have no freaking idea how to do that

12. Josh396 thread starter macrumors 65816

Josh396

Just looking for a little help.;)

13. khammack macrumors regular

First thing you need to do is think about the relationship between twos complement and signed magnitude:

If the number is positive, 2's complement is the same as signed magnitude.

If the number is negative, you invert the bits and add 1.

Seems like you'd need a 2:1 mux and adder that is as wide as the number you are converting, plus an inverter for each bit.

If that isn't where you are going, you'll have to tell me more about your requirements.

-kev

14. Josh396 thread starter macrumors 65816

Josh396

It is a five bit number with a sign bit. I only need a convertor for the negative inputs because the positive and negative numbers are the same for 2's compliment.

I'm assuming you need a little more information on the project to understand it easier so let me know if you do.

Thanks a lot.

EDIT: I just noticed that you know the relation between the positive numbers. Sorry.:eek:

15. khammack macrumors regular

I understand the problem perfectly, especially now that you've specified the width of the number to be converted. In my original post I listed the hardware you need, you have but to hook it up correctly. I'll revise the list to reflect the width of the numbers:

Qty - Device
    5 - 2:1 MUXs.
    1 - 5-bit adder
    5 - inverters

If this hasn't been enough of a hint, you'll have to tell me what you find confusing.

I'll put one more hint in white text in case you still are stuck, since I'm probably going to bed soon.

Perhaps you should start with schematics for converting negative numbers only.

-kev

16. Josh396 thread starter macrumors 65816

Josh396

Well I'm gonna get starting on getting it together. Thanks a lot for the help.

Just two last questions. I know this would totally give it away but where are the inverters at? Why 5 Multiplexers? It seems logical to me but I asked someone at school at they said 4 would get the job done. I think they said because the first digit is 1 in both cases. This didn't seem right but I'm just interested if it is right at all. Thanks again for the help.

EDIT: I believe I figured out that answer to my first question. Really really stupid of me.:eek:

Thanks again.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

In fact, I have so much wisdom that I had to double post and share it twice. ;)

(I STILL have no frackin' clue):p

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I know I know......I'm just going to let him squirm for a while before i decide to share my infinite wisdom with this little boy.

(Not a frackin' clue)

;)

19. Josh396 thread starter macrumors 65816

Josh396

haha... you're wisdom amazes me.:D

20. jdechko macrumors 68040

I used to be an EE major. After miserably failing Signal Processing (I understand it a whole lot better now, but would still fail the class -- still dont understand programming in Matlab; stupid DTMF dial program) I decided that management was a much better career path for me. Good luck with your project.

EDIT: Im with Abstract on this one.

21. Melkor macrumors 6502

lol no worries. I thought it was strange is all.

I just started studying EE this year and I'm finding it very difficult. I'm sure I'll manage though. Our digital systems project for last week was to build two light gates on a breadboard. This week we're transfering it to veroboard.

Btw, anyone know a good ( preferably free :p) maths programe for mac's?

22. Josh396 thread starter macrumors 65816

Josh396

For me it was all good up until now. The tests were fairly easy and all the mistakes I made were just stupid errors I made. However I think I'm changing my major. It doesn't seem as interesting as I thought it would be. The good thing is that I only need to take a C++ class for next semester I want to continue with EE so it won't really mess with my schedule if I decide to take something else. Good luck with EE by the way.

23. Melkor macrumors 6502

Cheers mate :D

Same to you for whatever you decide to major in.

I have a couple of friends in my class who are starting to regret doing elec. eng.. They wish they picked civil instead. The demand for civil is really high in this country at the moment.

24. Josh396 thread starter macrumors 65816

Josh396

On my floor it seems that just about everyone is an engineering major, with most being civil and mechanical. To me, their projects seem much easier, but I was always into building things when I was younger so I'm sure that's part of it. The nice thing about EE here is that they are getting the most money coming out of college compared to all other engineers, which is kinda nice.:D

But it all comes down to being happy with what you're doing, unless the price is right of course.;)

25. Melkor macrumors 6502

Ya I totally based my choice on prefence over financial prospects. The fact it pays well is just a bonus (and a good one at that :p)