Any excuse to get some money, eh?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SpookTheHamster, Jan 18, 2007.

1. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

We've been having a rather windy day here in the UK, and my girlfriend's uni has had to cancel all lectures until at least monday because the roof is being torn off. Seeing as she spents £3k a year on tuition fees we think that she should get a little of that back due to (at least) 3 cancelled days. I'm not talking much, but something to ease the financial burden of student life would be nice.

What do the super brains of the MR board think? Is it likely? How much should she ask for? Does my bum look big in this?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I think you should read the small print. I'd be surprised if you have a leg to stand on, as it were. ;)

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

They shouldn't refund your money...but they should give you three extra days of instruction...maybe take away some of the holidays and part of spring break? :p

4. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Well if you look at the number of days there are in a semester and then figure out a percentage demand that percentage back.

eg:

total days: 100
    days missed: 3

percentage of days missed: 3%

Fees: £3k
    3% of 3k =30

5. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

I'll have to say good luck :) (although my fence has blown down on one side :eek: )

6. Red Velvet macrumors newbie

Don't always go off what the small print tells you, we have statutory rights for a reason.

7. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Red Velvet vs. Blue Velvet? What's going on?

To be honest, we both think it's doubtful, but every little helps, right?

8. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

You still get credit for the class regardless.

You paid for credit.

You got what you paid for.

9. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

you are so not getting any money back and you gotta be kidding me if you actually think they are going to give you guys something for 3 days. i mean, its funny b/c im in school and always broke but no one is going to take a proposal like this seriously.

10. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

She should be happy she only has to spend that much a year for college/university.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Fan club, I guess. I should be so lucky.

12. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

How about being grateful for the education you're fortunate enough to be in a position to receive? If you don't like paying your tuition -- which funds the university as a whole and not your classes exclusively -- I'm sure your university would be happy to show you the door.

I suppose your tongue is in your cheek, but you've hit my entitlement hot button.

13. Red Velvet macrumors newbie

Surely you're joking? I don't believe that they should be grateful, or that they are fortunate. Living in a country with the worlds forth richest economy, I believe* that it is his right to go to university without having to virtually bankrupt himself to do it, without having the debt hanging around his neck for many years to come, just to give himself a shot at reaching his potential.

This mentality of being shown the door if you don't like paying the tuition will send countries backwards, not forwards.

Do everything to get some money back friend, do everything to claim back something that should be paid for you but isn't because of the hellish government. A government that has seen the gap between the rich and poor widen further than when Dickens wrote about it in Oliver Twist. Take your chance whilst you can.

14. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Huh?? £% 0f 3000 is 90.

And a tree in my garden blew down and 7 other trees onto the same road. Still laughing at the site i saw today. A guys brand new Jag got hit by a tree. Now that is unlucky

15. shecky Guest

shecky

no it isn't. Primary and Secondary school is a right, HE is a privilege.

16. Red Velvet macrumors newbie

I know the policies, I am well aware of them. I perhaps should have said that I believe that it's his right, a right to free higher education. I think the education system is a sham.

Sorry for any confusion. I was talking about what I believe should be, not what currently is in force.

17. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Do the faculty have to forfeit 3% of their salaries for the year?

They're not exactly saving money by canceling classes...in fact, they now have to pay to fix the roof. Refunding 3% of tuition money would wreak havoc on their budget.

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yep, not a chance!

I can't tell if the OP is joking or not...

But here is the reality. She will receive credit for the class. To do so, she will still need to complete the academic requirements for the class. They may have make up classes or provide for some other method to fulfill the academic requirements. There will be no refund in tuition fees.

19. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Ooh. Good point.

I 'spose by this logic students should have to pay extra for extra help. ;)

20. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What TheAnswer said.

BTW, heard about your weather. They said winds in some places in England reached 99 miles per hour! :eek:

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There used to be a rumor at the University of Michigan that someone had tried such a lawsuit there, and as a result, the standing policy was that classes were never officially cancelled for snow by the University. Probably apocryphal. But it was true that UM didn't close for snow. There were several days when no professors showed up (because they couldn't get their cars to campus), but we did, because we could walk.

I think it's fairly puerile to sue over this, but I guess you weren't the first to think of it.

23. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

:( forgot to multiply 1% by 3... It was late!