Any Experience with Apple Refurbs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by FF_productions, Jul 9, 2005.

1. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I mine as well turn this into a new thread...My g3 isn't doin the job, so I've decided to go after a powermac g5 (refurb)...How has everyones experience been with apple refurbs? Has the computer arrived broken? Perfect condition? This is a big investment for me, if refurbs are too much of a risk, then I'll have to buy new, which will cost me too much...

2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Perfect condition on an iMac G4 and a 3G iPod :)
    Just that brown box.. but meh.. once it goes into the basement, you'll never remember. Well worth the savings, and if anything does go wrong, you have the full warranty, and Apple will take care of you

reality

3. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I've always though that refurbs are more reliable than new machines. This is because refurbs are thoroughly tested by the repair engineers before being resold, unlike new computers which ship straight from the factory with little testing. A refurb will not be DOA and I can't see any reason why it should have any more chance of failure in the future than a new mac.

I bought a refurb G4 cube a few years ago and never had any problems with it whatsoever. I bought it from Cancom rather than Apple direct, although I understand they were acting as an agent of Apple rather than doing it off their own back.

I'd say go for it, and save yourself some cash.

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

My first iMac was a refurb and it worked very well for me not to mention the savings I got at the time :)

5. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

yeah, the warranty and all the checking by engineers gives me more confidence to go ahead with a purchase..anybody else?

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, it would give me more confidence.

When purchasing a refurb can any custom options be added? Like larger HD, memory, or bluetooth.

7. SurfinSHELL23 macrumors regular

Not at time of purchase - but people sometimes get little goodies unexpected - like a bigger hard drive or more RAM than they thought they were getting when they paid for it.

For me, having student discount, it doesn't pay, because for 12" PowerBooks the difference is negligible if any.

-Brian

8. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

there's a lot of good deals on powermac g5's, anyone here bought one?

9. macorama macrumors regular

Haven't bought one, but wouldn't hesitate if they have what I want next time I buy. You're getting the normal warranty, with a hefty discount. What's there to lose?

10. JonMaker macrumors regular

Does anyone know if refurbs are/were/will be available outside the US? I've never seen them in Canada. :confused:

11. eazy_e macrumors newbie

Do you get a student discount on refurbished models?

12. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Nada.

13. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Mine was in UK. Theres a link to the refurbished store in the bottom right hand corner of the main UK store page.