Any experience with Vista 64?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Nermal, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I heard time and time again to stay clear of the 64-bit version of XP, due to driver problems, etc. Does anyone know whether the 64-bit version of Vista is any better? On a 64-bit system, should I go with Vista 64, or continue to use the 32-bit version?

Please note that, although this is the Windows on the Mac forum, I'm actually referring to physical PCs, not Boot Camp etc. I have a 64-bit machine that I plan to install Vista on, I just need some advice as to which version :)

2. Noth macrumors newbie

Vista is essentially the same as XP64 AFAIK. Actually it's probably a little worse driver-wise since by default it'll only allow you to install WHQL-signed drivers. Once it's been out for a bit it'll get a lot better though since MS is requiring 64-bit drivers along with the 32-bit ones for WHQL certification.

But since Vista isn't really released yet you should probably stick to 32-bit XP for now.

3. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Vista x64 works quite well on my Mac Pro.
    I only needed the ATI drivers. (Built in work fine, but I wanted more control)
    Even the Mac Pro's Airport is picked up as Draft-N.

The downside is that you wont have the extras from Bootcamp.

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I installed the 32-bit version yesterday, on a 32-bit system :)
    I'm going to see how well it all works before I go crazy with installing it everywhere :p

At the moment the video performance isn't too good - I'm using the bundled drivers. nVidia's site only has drivers for RC2, so I'm waiting for them to update them (I have the final version of Vista).