Any film collectors?

Discussion in 'Community' started by alxths, Apr 14, 2004.

1. alxths macrumors 6502

I'm a little curious to see how people's movie collections would vary on here... soo, post your collection if you're up to it:

Mine was growing quite nicely until i quit my job--bittorrent has been my saviour in these rough times--but i'll have an income soon enough and my collection will be growing once again!

Barry Lyndon
    The Killing
    Henry V
    Paths of Glory
    Ravenous
    Nostalghia(Italien)
    Solaris(Russian--not the clooney version)
    The Bounty
    Spartacus
    Pi
    Excaliber
    Apocalypse Now Redux(blahh, i should've gotten the original)
    Amadeus(once again, there are things in the director's cut that i dont like)

I feel like i'm forgettting something, but that's what the edit button is for, i guess..

2. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i have more dvd's that I know what to do with, i've actually had to make a list (which i actually got bored of typing out, so it's not complete) so that i can check up with my phone, and make sure i dont buy it again.. LOL

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have about 140 DvDs and plus another 30 VHS movies laying around here.....i NEED to make myself a list sometime so i dont rebuy but i think ill be fine for the time being....oh and i would list them all but that would just take to darn long and i doubt people want to read all of them....

4. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

... would you really wait that hte movie collectors post the list of the dvds they have? at least i'm not going to .. too many [hundreds] of titles and too little time ..

5. alxths thread starter macrumors 6502

Heh, actually yeah i should've chose my words more carefully; maybe list a bunch of movies that you particularly like, would have been a little better

6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

-All of Stanley Kubricks films (with the exception of his first film which I cannot find....and may never have been released after being initially done)
    -Baraka and the Koyaanisqatsi Trilogy
    -Quite a few Ingmar Bergman, D.W. Griffith, Fritz Lang.....some Tarantino, some Lynch, some Allen, some Scorcese, the Coppolas, some Polanski
    Music:
    -The Directors Series I, II, III - Radiohead, Blur, Pink Floyd, Bjork, R.E.M, Wavetwisters, Theremin, Jeff Buckley, Air, Daft Punk, The Residents, Sigur Ros, Better Living Through Circuitry, Modulations

I have 335 dvd's and about 25 VHS tapes. You should check out this app for keeping track of your films. It seeks out online databases for info about your films and enters all of the information.....kind of like iTunes for DVD's. It is called DVDpedia:

I've attached a list of all of my DVD's below in .txt format. You can export your DVD list from DVDpedia also.

http://www.bruji.com/dvdpedia/

Attached Files:

7. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Oh...

Battle Royale, Koyannisqatsi, Audition, American History X, The Killer, Yojimbo, Versus, Tampopo, Requiem for a Dream, Band of Brothers, Spirited Away, Spices Like Us, Princess Bride, Master of the Flying Guillotine, 36 Chambers of the Shaolin, Shall We Dance (japanese one)...

8. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

Yojimbo was a good flick. Watched it this year in my film course. Spirited Away, however, has grown old QUICK as my sister wouldn't take the damn thing out of the DVD player. The thought of that little girl's voice makes me cringe.

9. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Spirited Away has surpassed Totoro has her favorite movie, and has pretty much worn out her copy LOL seriously, she's watched it over 20 times, i've seen it like 5 maybe, so im not sick of it yet ;D

Plus i got to shake hands with Miyazaki at the US premiere, so that makes it extra special.

10. alxths thread starter macrumors 6502

What's the name of Kubrick's first film, jovian? I'd always thought that Killer's Kiss was his first

And word up on Battle Royale.. most people just think its a gore flick and won't consider it passed that; but i really enjoyed the undertones.. reminded me of lord of the flies. I've been meaning to read the book for some time now..

11. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

It's called Fear and Desire. I had to look it up - I was going to guess Paths of Glory. Haven't seen Barry Lyndon. The first time I saw Tarkovsky's Solaris, I was higher than a kite. I had to pause the movie and gather myself after that 2-minute scene with the camera mounted on top of the car barreling down the highway.

Saw Battle of Algiers two weeks ago and I highly recommend it. Morricone did the soundtrack. The film was banned in France when it came out in the mid-1960s. It has been remastered and re-released. I heard the subtitles on the original were difficult to read. There are striking similarities to what went down in Algiers and what is currently going down in the Middle East.

12. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

That's it. If anyone knows where or how to find it let me know b/c I'd love to see it. You should really see Barry Lyndon....it is beautifully shot.

13. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I need to put that on my list. Sadly (and pathetically), I haven't even seen Dr. Strangelove. I know... I know... I can't believe I haven't seen it yet, especially because I really like Terry Southern (screenplay).

On a side note, I've read several Jim Thompson novels. His book The Getaway was made into a movie in the 1970s (not the Kim Basinger version). Anyways, Thompson penned the script to Paths of Glory. He was a notorious drunk who often signed off rights to his works while bombed. As a result, he died penniless and a virtual unknown. Anyways, after Paths of Glory, he submitted a script to Kubrick (they were buddies) about insanity. As the story goes, he submitted the ONLY COPY. Kubrick and cohorts were then working on Strangelove and put the script in the "Next Project" bin. Well, something happened and the script was lost. I believe Kubrick later stated that all he could remember was the script dealt with insanity and had a $hitload of subway shots - those long eerie symmetrical shots with evil faces lurking. This would have been unreal if they collaborated. Nonetheless, although Thompson died a virtual unknown, his books are well collected and fetch a premium on the antiquarian market.

14. alxths thread starter macrumors 6502

It's funny because there's so much that i wish Kubrick could have/would have done(Napoleon!!!!!); but if I try and imagine him having done one of those thingss and think if i then heard of some lost screenplay about vietnam, or one about two lovers' jealousy/desire, i can't tell whether i'd regret that he hadn't made those instead or not... kind of like the saying goes: "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"

15. coopdog macrumors 6502a