Any free utility to reduce pdf file size?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hajime, Dec 19, 2008.

1. macrumors 68000

Jul 23, 2007
    Hello. I have a pdf file with lots of high-res photos in it. Is there a good way to reduce the file size while keeping the photo quality reasonable? A free utility that allows users to adjust the level of photo quality would be great. Under Preview, I tried "save as" and then "Reduce File Size" with Quartz filter. The file size was reduced by 1/10 but the photos did not look good.
  2. macrumors 68030

Apr 19, 2008
    Pandora, Home Tree
    Short of a compression file, like stuffit/Zip, not sure. Are you just reducing the size to send, or the over all size?
  3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Jul 23, 2007
    reducing the size to send.
  4. macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    Why not just use Preview>Tools>Adjust Size? :confused:
    You can alter the resolution there.
  5. macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2007
    That option is grayed out. In other solutions? I know that there's also a preset in Preview when printing to PDF but I don't even get that option. There was a Apple Quick Tip episode in their podcast titled "When a PDF is Too Big". This one is no longer available over at Anyways, it covered this problem but like I mentioned before, all of my options are grayed out.
  6. macrumors newbie

Sep 25, 2009
    problem solved

I had exactly your problem but now its solved!

Its very simple follow the instruction link below

7. macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    Depending on the app you used to create the document, there may be options related to bitmap/raster images (for example, Illustrator has extensive options for this). OR you could lower the resolution and increase the compression of the original image files before you put them into your document. But not helpful if you didn't originally create the document.
  8. macrumors newbie

Jun 12, 2006