Any free utility to reduce pdf file size?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by hajime, Dec 19, 2008.

1. macrumors 68000

Hello. I have a pdf file with lots of high-res photos in it. Is there a good way to reduce the file size while keeping the photo quality reasonable? A free utility that allows users to adjust the level of photo quality would be great. Under Preview, I tried "save as" and then "Reduce File Size" with Quartz filter. The file size was reduced by 1/10 but the photos did not look good.

2. macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Short of a compression file, like stuffit/Zip, not sure. Are you just reducing the size to send, or the over all size?

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

reducing the size to send.

4. macrumors G4

skunk

Why not just use Preview>Tools>Adjust Size? :confused:
    You can alter the resolution there.

5. macrumors 6502

That option is grayed out. In other solutions? I know that there's also a preset in Preview when printing to PDF but I don't even get that option. There was a Apple Quick Tip episode in their podcast titled "When a PDF is Too Big". This one is no longer available over at apple.com/business/theater. Anyways, it covered this problem but like I mentioned before, all of my options are grayed out.

6. macrumors newbie

problem solved

I had exactly your problem but now its solved!

Its very simple follow the instruction link below

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/353248/compress-pdf-missing-in-leopard/

:D

7. macrumors 68030

apfhex

Depending on the app you used to create the document, there may be options related to bitmap/raster images (for example, Illustrator has extensive options for this). OR you could lower the resolution and increase the compression of the original image files before you put them into your document. But not helpful if you didn't originally create the document.

8. macrumors newbie