Any French iPod users on this board?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Project, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Project macrumors 68020

I am in the process of doing a marketing paper on iPod, for which I have to compare the marketing strategies Apple uses in the UK and in France.

Understandably, all French websites are unreadable to me, so I am finding it difficult to locate articles on the French MP3 player market.

Is there anybody here who is French? And if so, could you put me in the direction of any resources that might be useful? I need to have a solid grounding of the market in France, such as:

Competition to iPod (is it Sony, Creative, a home company etc?). And how much market share does iPod hold.

The iPods reputation / perception from the public. Is there any anti-American sentiment when it comes to buying products? Or is that just political.

The price of the iPod - I can easily find this out, but is it relatively the same as it is in the UK as a % of average earnings? I guess I could work this out by finding out the national French wage, and dividing the price of the iPod by it, then doing the same for the UK.

Taxation in France. Is there sales tax applied as there is in the UK (VAT)?

The situation of the iTunes music store - is there much French content? TV shows? Is the music tailored to the French market, or is it US concentrated content (music artist and tv shows)

Where is the iPod sold? In the UK, it was initially quite a narrow channel of distribution. But now everybody on the high street sells them. Does France have the same wide channel of distribution?

Marketing - I know that you have pretty much the same television adverts, such as the Eminem one, but what about print and other media. Is it in French? The Eminem advert has nothing French about it aside from www.apple.com/fr, meaning that localisation is kept to a minimum for Apple, thus reducing cost. Is this the case for all other iPod advertisement?

Who is buying iPods? Is it a wide spread of ages, but very popular amongst the teens like here? We have people from 7 - 70 with iPods... is it the same in France?

Apple stores. Is there many?

Sorry to make the post so long, but help with any of the questions would be appreciated, as well as any other information you might have.

2. Koshiro macrumors newbie

Je ne suis pas francais. Desole que je n'aide pas.

By the way...how the heck do you do accent marks...

3. Project thread starter macrumors 68020

4. timerollson macrumors 65816

5. Project thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes sir.

6. snakelda macrumors 6502

Bonjour!

7. ehayut macrumors member

Salut :) J'habite a Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Je parle francais, mais ma langue maternelle est anglais.

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Un Americain qui habite en France!

OK, so I'm an American who's living in France for the year, and I am a happy 4G iPod owner. If you'd like to ask me questions, my email is in my profile.
    I don't see as many iPods here as I did in California (no big surprise), but I do see a few. The price of iPods is the highest of any European country, I think, because here they charge a high fee on recordable media, which gets applied to the iPod. Also, France has 19.6% VAT, which is quite high. For example, the new 60G video costs 446 Euros (540 USD) here at the Apple Store France.

9. Project thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks. I will try and email you at some point today. If you dont mind I would like to include your response in the appendices of my report.