Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I've been wanting to purchase an 867-1000 MHz TiBook, but I know of the hinge issues they are prone to. I've looked around, but I can't find much general advice on them. If the hinges aren't completely intact, should they be likely to break within a year or so? I realize that there's no definite way to predict these, but generally, what kind of damage usually results in it breaking earlier? Specifically, should this be okay:

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 236
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 198

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'd say at most you have about a year. But most likely 1 to 2 months. Look around on eBay for a screen that matches the model you are getting. They are usually pretty cheap. Just make sure they include the hinges, then replace the screen. It's not a complicated job, just involved.

My experience with my old TiBook 400 is the exact opposite of what everyone else experienced. My case broke around the hinges. The hinges themselves are perfectly fine. In fact they are still on the job with my son's 1 Ghz DVI. I swapped the broken screen it came with for the still good screen with good hinges from my Titanium.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I've been wanting to purchase an 867-1000 MHz TiBook, but I know of the hinge issues they are prone to. I've looked around, but I can't find much general advice on them. If the hinges aren't completely intact, should they be likely to break within a year or so? I realize that there's no definite way to predict these, but generally, what kind of damage usually results in it breaking earlier? Specifically, should this be okay:

Why are you so into the Tibook? I owned nearly every one of them and really love the Albook Powerbooks better. The best Tibooks, in my opinion, are the 667ghz VGA and the 1ghz DVI.

I never had an issue with the hinges on mine, just the flaky (literally flaked off) side casings, the white banding. The hinges are only an issue when someone steps on or drops the Tibook when it's open, not, in my opinion, a flaw like the MacBook Air originals.

FrozenMacUser

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I have two Tibooks with good hinges. My first one a DVI 667mhz is my backup/parts machine. I replaced it with a 550mhz VGA model when I discovered my first one has a dead RAM slot. Anyway the 550mhz is my main laptop and is a great little machine. The bottom panel is starting to come unglued at the corners but after a decade no surprise the adhesive is degrading. It is a common issue but apparently Gorilla glue is a great fix. If you plan on replacing RAM or the HDD like me though make sure you do that first or you may have issues getting it apart again. As for the hinges just be gentle with it when you have it open and don't put it in a bag hinges down. I also recommend buying used macs locally if you can so you can personally inspect what you are buying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.