Any George R.R Martin Fans?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by quigleybc, Jun 16, 2006.

1. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    A Song of Ice and Fire...

Thought I'd see if anyone else is obsessed with this series of books..

Song of Ice and Fire

Just finished the last book in the series so far

[​IMG]

A good read, but a departure from the norm, as it is the first half of a longer, already finished, work.

Any fans?

:)

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've read them but not obsessed. I got irritated waiting for the next one and rereading beforehand.

I've now come to the conclusion that I'm going to wait til it's complete and then read them all again. I'm trying to apply it to all my other book series - it's just so frustrating to get to the end and then have to wait a year or more for the next part.

3. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Agreed, I had the benefit of getting into the series, when this last book came out, so I read all four back to back in a two month span...and it was great..

4. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I'm in the same situation as Applespider. When will it be complete? Does anybody know?

It's one of the darkest and most intriguing fantasy series I've read.

5. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Well, according to GRRM's blog..A Feast for Crows, was part one, and (i think it's called) A dance with Dragons is part two...and it's done, it's been done...

It was too long, so he split them up. Which is why there was no Jon or Tyrion in A Feast...

So, the next book is done, and should be out as soon as the publisher thinks they sold enough hardbacks of A Feast for Crows..

6. Huntn, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

Huntn macrumors G4

Huntn

Game of Thrones

Thread Revival!

I just started reading Game of Thrones after watching the First Season on HBO. I am really pleased with how the show follows the book. For anyone just starting out who wants a quick history lesson, which I found very helpful, read the page on Game of Thrones Wiki regarding The Mad King Aerys II Targaryen, then the relationshiips between the royal houses becomes more clear and why there is a character named Prince Viserys Targaryen who is raving about his throne. However, some of you might consider some of the Wiki Page article as spoiler territory. ;)

I also found this Game of Thrones Family Tree to be most helpful.

[​IMG]

This image is on the large size so I've just got a link: GOT Family Trees

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Thank you so much for this! I have been reading the book (but haven't seen the shows). I haven't picked it up in a few weeks though because I have been so busy. I think I must make time to indulge myself. What little I have read so far I have thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you again.

8. Plutonius, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I loved his sci-fi novel "Tuf Voyaging" but really didn't care for his other books. I think that I probably would enjoy watching the Game of Thrones.

9. Huntn macrumors G4

Huntn

I might have to check out Tuf Voyaging... :)

Did you start Game of Thrones and not like it? Just curious, not saying you should. ;) My favorite character is Tryion Lannister. The actor who plays him (Peter Dinklage) deserves his Emmy.

10. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Yep, I got about 1/3 way through the first book and lost interest.

11. chordate68 macrumors regular

chordate68

I'm just about done with Game of Thrones (Book1), after watching the season one of the HBO series. I like how they stayed true to the source material (for the most part).

SPOILER!!!!!

Doesn't the family tree need a little rearranging? :D

12. Huntn, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

Huntn macrumors G4

Huntn

Is that the spoiler? ;)

Ok, so I've watched Season One of Game of Thrones, just finished the Book and am now rewatching Game of Thrones HBO On Demand. The show is excellent and true to the book, but the book is incredible. The ending of the book awed me even though I knew what was going to happen.

spoiler> (don't, don't read this if you plan on enjoying this book!) Daeny Targaryen sitting among the ashes of her husband's funeral pyre with baby dragons suckling at her breasts. <end spoiler

Has this person just become the major threat to the Seven Kingdoms and they are oblivious? Astounding! I have at least 4 more books to go. I believe the author originally planned a total of 7 books. If the follow-on books follow suit, this could be just as awe inspiring as the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings trilogy of which I've read 3 times over the years. :)

What surprises me is the story in book 1 is left so opened ended and unfinished. Nothing is concluded. Can you imagine if the author decided to quit writing after the first book? The gnashing of teeth, lol! It's like I can't wait for the smack down in book 2. The treachery! It is rare to find a fantasy novel with characters this rich and complex. Originally I was thinking I'd wait, but the book is going to be better. I think I'll launch into A Clash of Kings... :D

13. jsf8x macrumors 6502

jsf8x

Yeah the books are great.. I'm making my way through the first one.

14. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Woah.....

I haven't visited the Community Discussion section on MR for years. Tonight I do. And I find a thread I started 5 years ago on the first page.

Kinda freakin out right now....:p:eek:

P.s I didn't love the new book as much as I thought I would.

----------

Wow. I was really wrong on that one.

15. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Teaser trailer for the second season of the HBO show is out. Can't wait for April!

16. Huntn macrumors G4

Huntn

And you were wondering why you were drawn back... ESP :)

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, thank you Huntn for recommending this series so strongly in another thread and for recommending that I read it.

Anyway, I am nearly finished Game of Thrones - and must admit that I am hugely enjoying it. The next two books in the series are sitting on my sofa awaiting my attention, and the remaining (published) others shall follow in due course.

Given that I like fantasy and historical fiction, yes, I can say that I am now something of a fan.