any golfers here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puckhead193, Nov 24, 2006.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I was wondering if their are any golfers here... I was thinking for the holidays of asking my parents for a set of golf clubs. Nothing fancy just something to learn on...And since i don't know jack_---- about golf clubs, i thought i would ask here.
    What are some good brands? Anything i should know? Any one live in the NY/Long Island Suffolk Country area and can recommend a store?

2. Braveheart macrumors newbie

I've been a golfer for 15 years and have a handicap of 4. When I started out I used a set of clubs that were 25 years old. Club Technology has moved on a bit since then:D However, don't be fooled into buying a set of clubs by brand name or price. Go to a local course and ask the pro for some advice. If he knows his stuff which most should, then he will let you try out a few different kinds and give his honest opinion on what will suit you best. These guys make their living from repeat customers, so they are much less likely to screw you over to make a quick sale. If you want my advice (I do come from the home of golf:D ) any set will do and will last until you master the basics. Then as I said before, visit the pro at your local course who will advise you honestly on your next purchase. Think of it like buying a Mac for the first time. You wouldn't jump right in and buy a maxed out Mac Pro if all you wanted to do was see if you liked OSX. If you need anymore advice give me a shout.

3. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

When I saw your topic, I had my answer ready, but I think Braveheart said it well - go see a pro at a local course and get his/her recommendations. When I took up the game I bought a cheap set on sale, which served me well for about six months. I saw a local pro and had a set made. You'll often find that they will have his/hre name or logo on them and are much less expensive than a name brand. I didn't use the work "cheaper" on purpose - they won't be a cheap set in the other sense of the word.

Also - I've been golfing about five years now and I'm still working on getting into the 80's. Love the game!!!

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i love golf. hope to get to play 18 tomorrow. we'll see how i fare!

i would generally agree with the previous posters, however i would say that if you're just starting to play, and don't necessarily know if it'll stick, then you may opt for a less expensive set to start with... i got some wilson golf clubs (wilson is certainly not one of the top names in golf specifically) including all irons (minus a sand wedge) and some crappy metal woods for 300 bucks i think. i've since upgraded to taylor made woods (hand me downs really) and gotten a decent cleveland sand wedge.

i'm curious how much a custom made set would be, but i'm sure it'd be over 500 for irons, and potentially a lot more... but i'd like clarification on that from people who've done it

overall, they are right, in that you will never reach your full potential with clubs that aren't custom made for your stance, height, etc... in fact just reading their stories has made me consider looking into custom clubs myself!... but i would just be wary of suggesting that expensive route if you aren't sure you'll still be playing a year or two from now... after all, greens fees are expensive enough!!

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You know something that you might enjoy doing is making your own custom clubs for your self. you just order all the parts, cut the shafts, weight the clubs, and put everything together. My dad seems to enjoy doing it. He makes him self a club or 2 a year now. (last year he made his irons)

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

trust me, if you saw me try to do any sort of handiwork, you'd advise strongly against that! haha

sounds like a cool hobby though

7. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

thanks for all the advice... i'll prob go to a pro shop near me and see what they say
    Josh

8. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Be careful, it is a very adictive game. I started about 10 years ago and I have managed to get my handicap down to 3. What you need to remeber is that it wont come straight away. As said go and speak to you local Pro who will sort you out with some clubs. The way I started was to go to a driving range that has a Pro attached who ran group lessons. They are great because they only cost a couple of pounds, you got to hit loads of golf balls and in the hour you where there you got 10 minutes or so with a pro which is all you need when you are starting out. Good luck anyway and let us know how you get on.