Any golfers out there?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mac000, Jan 25, 2007.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Sep 6, 2005
    I need to regrip my ben hogan apex plus irons but at the same time i believe i need to buy new shafts for the irons too. The shafts are (4) which is stiff flex, but i need a (3) normal flex most likely.

How much does it cost to re-shaft a set of irons typically? With steel shafts of course, the ones i have now are "frequency matched" so I'd need something along those lines. i can't seem to find any info on re-shafting irons, i would need around 10 irons reshafted.
  2. killr_b macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2005
    Funny you should ask.
    I went through this last week. :D

I actually ended up buying new irons for only $200!
    I wasn't going so much for a re-shaft as much as to have my clubs fitted, hence new shafts and jumbo grips. But that was around 120, so I just went for the full 200 on the +1 clubs he had.

So I would say something like $100- $150. But I live in an expensive area too.
  3. shoestring macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2007
    Screaming it from the top of a mountain
    Yes. My golfing partners and I were just discussing how ready we are to play again.

As for reshafting, you're probably gonna spend about $10-$15 per shaft and then another $10-$20 per club to install. Of course, grips are an additional $5-10 per club. That was just looking at Golfsmith and a couple builders pages.

I did grips myself summer before last. I got a kit with tape, solvent, and grips from Golfsmith for $45 and did them in my garage with a friend's help in about an hour. It was for my backup set so they are still holding strong.
  4. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    Backup set? I know nothing about golf, but I can't imagine the need for a backup set of 10+ clubs
  5. shoestring macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2007
    Screaming it from the top of a mountain
    It's a set of clubs that I'm probably not good enough to be swinging, but pull them out from time to time to gauge if I'm improving. They are also a limited edition set that is no longer in production and may be valuable as collector's items, someday.