Any good, free, news readers out there?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by G4scott, Sep 9, 2003.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Part of one of my classes is to connect to the class newsgroup. I've done that, but I don't like the news group reader I used, called News-Watcher X. It's interface sucked...

I'd make a program, but I'm just a first year pre-CS major...

2. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

halime and newsflash are both free and available on versiontracker. each has its pros and cons, i'd recommend trying both and seeing which one you prefer. i've heard that the command-line tool "pine" is supposed to be a news reader as well as an email client, but i can't find any reference to news within the program.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The only one I use is part of Mozilla and it's acceptable though not feature rich.

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

If you install the X11 client and fink you can compile and run pan. It's very good but it isn't an 'aqua' program and it's a bit of a pain to do the whole fink thing

5. kaizer macrumors member

I wonder if "News Reader" and CSS reader like NetNewsWire Lite the same? If it's the same, then I'd say it's a good program to use. Small & Lite. I don't know about feature though, I'm just a normal CSS reader... nothing fancy.

Thanks for the clarification.:confused:

6. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i think you mean RSS reader. netnewswire grabs RSS headlines from special files on websites, a news reader gets files from newsgroups. they are two different protocols, but somewhat easy to confuse. newsgroups are more akin to forums like this one.

7. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

Thanks guys. I tried Halime, and that seems to fit my needs.