Any good recommendations on Apple laptop bags?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jc0481, Feb 12, 2006.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2005
    Looking into getting an Apple laptop bag, I used to work at Compusa and the Apple rep told me to get Brenthaven bags.
  2. climhazzard85 macrumors member

Dec 28, 2005
    I bought a bag made by STM ( from the Apple Store for my iBook, I'd definitely recommend a case or bag by them. Radtech also sells most all of their product line.
  3. someguy macrumors 68020

Dec 4, 2005
    Still here.
    I have a Booq Bag and I love it. My 15" PowerBook G4 fits inside it perfectly, as well as the power adapter including the extended cable, Airport Express, Mighty Mouse, a 7-in-1 card reader, my mousepad, and countless pens, pencils, business cards, and other small items I use often.
  4. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    This is the ultimate guide. Personally I have a Crumpler, and I really like it.
  5. turbopants macrumors regular

Feb 11, 2006
    I second the stm bags. I have their large brink bag for my 17" Powerbook. It was around $55 shipped from Radtech. Got it in two days. Nice design and colors, good protection, and affordable. Not a bad pick if you want a soft bag.
  6. Timepass macrumors 65816

Jan 4, 2005
    heh, I am among the people who vote go to a place like Office deport, office max, or best buy (or other store like them) and just look at there bags in person. You should be able to tell by looking the quiltly of the bag and just look at it closely.
    Think about the needs and wants you have for it. For example the bag I use I chose it because it have a several pocket to seprated stuff in. and store stuff for the computer and classes. Also it a very useful bag even if I dont put my computer in it. Dont know the brand name of it. I pick it out from I think office max. I knew what I wanted in the bag. Found something that filled that need and is really only something I think you can do in person.
    Just figure out your needs and what you want to use it for. I would think you will want to make sure it can be used for more than just a computer bag but also a way to carry around some stuff for classes as well.

Just go look in person. I know some people who like the back pack set up. I like the over the shoulder bag.
  7. macEfan macrumors 65816

Apr 7, 2005
    Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    I like targus bags. I have one and have never had any problems with it. Plus it has lots of pockets in it to store all of my stuff in:D
  8. Piarco macrumors 68030

Jun 24, 2004
    Crumpler do great bags - but they are expensive. I had a Whack'o'Phone for my 15" PB and combined it with a Booq Vyper shell - a very very safe environment for any laptop!
  9. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Crumpler. Just all round fantastic bags. I use my Wee Bee for my 12" Powerbook and its just been a joy. built like tanks.
  10. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    You didn't mention which notebook (size) you have, or what else you need to carry around with you.

I also like the STM bags - I have a Baby Brink for my 12" PowerBook. I use a red Tucano sleeve for extra padding, which matches the colouring of the bag perfectly and fits very snugly. There's a small pocket in the bag to carry the power adapter, but there is very little room for anything else.
  11. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    I just noticed this thread is in the Community Discussion forum. Perhaps it should be moved to "Buying tips..."
  12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I can't believe STM is so popular, because in all the other "bag" threads, they rarely come up this often. I have an STM bag for my 12" PB (the "Small Loft" shoulder bag), and it isn't bad. The padding used isn't as thick as it could be, but it's still on par with the Crumpler bags.

Let me tell you something about most of the protection that these bags offer: it's almost all the same. People talk about Crumpler bags or STM. Guess what? Feel the padding of their shoulder bags, and you'll notice right away that one doesn't have more or less padding than the other. Sometimes it matters, but not really for laptop bags. For example, I bought a Lowepro bag for my dSLR camera because the padding was clearly thicker. With most bags from companies dedicated to making laptop bags, it's almost the same.

The big difference between bags, IMO, is how well the laptop fits in the padded pocket, and the compartmentalisation offered in the bags. Some don't have enough pockets to store all your stuff, and depending on where the pockets are, they can actually offer protection to your laptop if you're keeping stuff in those pockets. In this way, backpacks are usually better, but much bigger than shoulder bags.

My STM is good, but buying the equivalent Crumpler bag will cost you more money. Why? Because they're way too popular right now, and that's going to cost you money. If you have the money though, buy what you like. However, I can tell you for certain that for most shoulder bags, it doesn't matter, and for backpacks, STM and Brenthaven backpacks are outstanding. Not sure about other companies.

Look at Max_Altitude's reply. Some people swear by Crumpler or STM, but Tom Bihn and Waterfield bags are also supposed to be good. Acme Made sells very fancy, trendy looking bags, and Knomo (which isn't even in the Mac Guides.....*hint hint*) simply makes super expensive, luxury laptop bags.
  13. jalagl macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Incase Sleeve
    I also have a Samsonite Backpack I use for travel.
  14. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Oct 9, 2005
    8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    There is another quite lengthy thread which was made into a "sticky" in the buying tips section; you might want to have a look there.

As for bags: I've got a vertical bag made by Oakley, which I really like very much, especially for travelling, and I've also got the Crumpler "Embarrassment" bag. The problem with the Crumpler, though, is that it is designed for a 15" laptop and the slightly wider PB fits in there VERY snugly -- TOO much so. One has to work at stretching out the fabric in order for the PB to slip in-and-out of there comfortably. Aside from that, though, it's a neat bag and doesn't look as though I'm carrying an expensive laptop with me.
  15. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I just purchased a WaterField Sleevecase last week for my upcoming MacBook. The quality is superb, the shipping speed is outstanding (I did ground and got the freaking thing in 3 days after submitting the order.), and the icing on the cake was the hand written thank you note on the invoice slip. You just don't get that kind of service anymore.
    Sometime before June (I’m doing some traveling) I need to get myself a full blow case. I will be going back to them and ordering one of their Cargo Bags. Do you pay a premium? Yes. But ARE getting what you pay for. Looking at the quality of my Sleevecase I expect this thing to last a LONG LONG time.
  16. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2005
    Brighton, UK
  17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Incase sleeve and a Targus laptop bag keeps my ibook warm when its blazing outside.

18. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    I've got a barely used Booq 14" Powersleeve for sale.

Name your price, and it's yours (free shipping, too).
  19. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    I love my incase sleeve. I just stick my ibook in my incase sleeve then throw it in my backpack and im good to go.
  20. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004

Not often I agree with Compusa people, but I have to say the Brenthaven is very nice. I've had it for about 9 months now (Fusion Flex, for pb 15") and it is excellent.
    If you're going to get it don't buy from Apple though. They charge a pretty hefty price. Do some searching on the web and you'll find a number of websites selling that particular bag for $90 or less.
  21. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Marware sleeves are better than the incase. no proof, just I had a roommates with incases, and I like my marware a little better. Mostly because of the plastic reinforcements that really don't protect now that I think about it. But, I do like the neoprene better than the nylon with padding.