Any Indians round these parts?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by psychofreak, Dec 29, 2006.

1. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I only ask because I go to a very multicultural school where around 1/3 is Indian, and 1/5 uses macs, but no Indians use macs...I always thought it was odd...

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are definitely some besides me. Including some who live in the UK. Now my parents... there are a couple of Indian's who'll never use Macs. As long as there is any PC available for less money. :rolleyes:

3. bin673-gm macrumors newbie

well ya

hmm, did you mean Asian Indians or Native Americans? :)

yes, there are us Asian Indian folks, who use Macs including bunch of folks I know.. there are a various reasons and I won't go into them all in detail, but some of them are price, kind of work they do (say if they are newer IT kind of folks, they probably did not grow up with Macs, etc. and want to use the same kind of stuff as work in home too), their backgrounds, etc..

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If he's going to a school in the UK that's 1/3 Native Americans, that's quite diverse indeed! :D

5. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Asian Indians, I don't know any native americans here in London. Maybe it is price, but my school is private (don't hate me), and most people can afford high end PCs. It just came up when an Indian friend asked me what his new computer should be.

6. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Was I the only one expecting a question about Apache:confused: :)

7. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Hmm, yes must say none of the Indians I know use Macs. I know one who seems to despise them, not entirely sure why, as she was using them for media at school.

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Why is this thread in the Mac OS X discussion?:confused:

9. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

We think the Indians have it in for the Tiger. :p

10. mith macrumors regular

indian here

Indian here , and we love macs, well in canada lol

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's all fun and games until MacOS X 10.6: Bengali comes out. Then who'll be laughing? :D

12. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

me

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, you're a psychotic pig with a freaky smile. You don't count :D

(that's a reference to his 'tar and s/n, people, 'tar and s/n! Besides! I read Charlotte's Web. Who doesn't love a cute pig?)

14. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I am not Indian but I spent all day marinating halal lamb and folding samosas.

15. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Isn't Halal muslim? Or is it both?

16. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

It is Muslim, yes. It just happened to be cheaper. There are some Muslims in India, though.

I used kosher garlic with the halal lamb. When I serve it up tomorrow, I will tell everyone it is the body of Christ.

17. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

No Hindus in Pakistan though.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

More than some! Within the top three or so largest Muslim populations in the world... behind only Indonesia and possibly Bangladesh, off the top of my head.

19. flir67 macrumors 6502

no :)

20. The Past macrumors 6502

I tried to launch an Apple support group for India a couple of years ago. You will find them in the music and movie studios, but stray out of that and you are all alone. Anyway, so I tried to set this group and posted inquiries asking a similar question as in this post all over the place (including here). Got some pretty thin responses in general.

Eventually all backers lost interest, as did Apple and I let my domain expire. Perhaps some other day. Anyway, my point is, yes, as OP suggests, I wonder why.

21. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

There are almost a couple more. We bought my parents an iMac as a thank you for my parents for all the work they put into our wedding. Occasionally I lookup solutions to hiccups that I encounter when helping them continue their transition (it's been 18 months after using a PC since...well as far as I can remember).

I'm close - but without dragging too much politics into this discussion, I consider myself an American of Indian heritage. Very different than being an Indian (which would be my parents).

As for why - I think a lot has to do with being stubborn. Most are raised on a PC (because that is what you use in school and schoolwork is most important), and just never get familiar with Macs. Moreover, the community trusts it's own more than outsiders. Since all your friends use a PC, you use a PC. I mean, you should have seen my folks show off their iMac for the first several months when they had friends over (now it's been there long enough) - nobody could believe that the computer fit behind the monitor like that.

22. Makosuke macrumors 603

I worked with an Indian student for a while; he commented that Macs were basically unknown in India, and was a pretty hard core Wintel guy. Until he started considering buying a new laptop and realised that the PowerBooks available at the time were quite competitive.

Partly on my recommendation he got one, and for the next several months I heard over and over him wondering why on earth everybody doesn't use Macs--he was one satisfied switcher.

23. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Well, I'm an Indian, and I use a Mac, and I am in India. But I have to grant that Macs aren't very popular here, mainly because they are more expensive. But they are slowly gaining mindshare and marketshare here (as are the iPods).

24. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Yep, I use Macs, and have for my whole life. Though not being in India probably helped that along. :)

irmongoose

25. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

PCs have a greater presence because there is a big Microsoft headquarters building in Bangalore and this means that people hear about Windows. I know one person with Indian heritage who uses a Mac. He got the money by selling gold plated iPods and this was his way in. There ist a big mac community in my school. It started out, in my year, with 2 of us and now there has been a boom and now there are about 10. It is good as they come to me with money for help :p