Any interest in trying to get a group tour inside Apple HQ?

Discussion in 'Community' started by devilot, Jul 25, 2005.

1. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

At the request of Katie and theonenonlyjoey on page four of this thread -- they seem to think that if we rallied enough people from MR, we could try to get Apple to arrange for us to get a tour of the inside.

So I guess, I'm now asking for realistic interest in arranging such a trip.

Something to note, the Company Store is only open Mon-Fri 10am-5:30 pm... so I guess it only makes sense to have a tour of HQ within that timeframe allowing for a "souvenir" stop. Other than that, if I am really going to call and ask Apple for this tour, then it would help to get an official count of the heads (or er, Mac heads) going as well as possible dates. Can't very well ask for a tour w/ out the number of people in mind and a date, eh? ;)

Since only one person has listed a specified date (and she is lovely, and she is from outta town, and she... well, ok you all get the idea) the date I will bring to the attention of Apple when I call tomorrow will be Thursday, August 4, 2005. I will post the results of the call tomorrow. Just called and was redirected... "I'm sorry, we don't do tours here. CLICK." Sorry guys, unless somebody actually knows someone who can get us connected, the tour is a no-go.

Tentative List
    Thanks... so far the tentative count is:
    1.devilot76
    2.katie ta achoo +1*
    3.katie's dad
    3.theonenonlyjoey
    4.applemacdude
    5.Merf +1
    6.Merf's cousin
    7.Zach*
    8.Ed_H
    9.Vniow
    10.Xtremehkr*

*= outta town so possible dates will be needed to further plan
    So I'll assume that the people who are (relatively) locals can make it on "any" day, for now...

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I would go for it if i wasn't in school at the time of it :p would be quite fun, a macrumors road trip o_O

3. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

If I could get to California I would totally want to go... Unfortunately, I don't have a chance to go out there for a long time.

4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I'd like to go, but I live on the other side of the country and have no way of getting there. :(

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I agree. It would have to be part of another trip to the SF area....

6. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

I figured that most MRers are too far... but I also figured that there would be some people who just happen to be visiting sometime this summer or whatnot. Even some people who live locally, like me, I still haven't been in the HQ. Just that lovely Company Store. :p

7. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I would go depending on when it is and how much advance notice, as it would have to be planned around a vacation out to SF or something.

But it definitely sounds like a cool idea! :D

8. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

For whats its worth, as a pessimist, I don't think they'll even give you a tour... :p

9. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

I wouldn't be surprised... but it can't hurt to ask. And it can't hurt to ask w/ some more details. :D

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I've been trying to talk my wife into an early January "vacation" to the SF area for couple of years now. She could do the Wharf and Lombard Street, and I'll do MWSF, Sony Metreon, and The Apple Company Store. Seems like a perfect plan to me... ;)

Maybe if you tried to pursue a date either immediately before or after MWSF (doesn't Apple pretty much shut down the campus PR machine during the Expo?), you might find a few more MacRumors participants are in the Bay area.

11. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Especially cos they HATE rumor sites :p

12. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

Well, I wouldn't say I'm from a rumor site... geeze, gimme some credit! :p We're all just a happy family.

13. macorama macrumors regular

Well they've let all the WWDC attendees in in the past, so maybe you've got a chance.

14. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I would really love to go. But first I have to check with my parents and see if we are indeed going to SF this summer. If we are, count me in, but only if everyone decides it is possible for them to go during the summer.

15. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

Thanks... so far the tentative count is:
    1.devilot76
    2.katie ta achoo*
    3.theonenonlyjoey
    4.applemacdude
    5.joepunk*

*= outta town so possible dates will be needed to further plan
    So I'll assume that the people who are (relatively) locals can make it on "any" day, for now...

16. Merf macrumors regular

I'm in. I live in Cali so its not to bad of a drive. I think my Cousin might want to go as well.

Merf

17. theonenonlyjoey macrumors member

theonenonlyjoey

18. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

*raises hand*
    mememememememe!

also,don't ignore my dad, He'd probably come too!

*off to google for cheap hotel reservations*

19. zach macrumors 65816

zach

me too.

a few of us IRC-ites have been thinking about getting together sometime, despite the fact that one lives in CA, one lives in MD, one lives in NY, one (MEEEEE) lives in CT, and one lives in GA...

but we're just crazy like that.

anyway, mark me down.

20. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

So it looks like one person on the list has PM'd me saying that he/she is looking at the week of August 3rd... just to throw that out there.

::edit:: And please note people, this is in no way a guarantee that a tour would even happen! This is just me gauging interest and gathering data with which I would go groveling to Apple HQ. :p

21. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Make it 2!! i want to go!! im about 45 min east of Cupertino! :)

Ed

22. vniow macrumors G4

Hm, I work until 2:00 usually, it'll take about one and a half hours to get down there (I'm in Marin) so I probably couldn't make it until like 3:30 or so if they would even let us in unless I could get off work for any reason. So put me on as a maybe, if its later in the day.

23. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I'll about 90% sure that I'll be down in cupertino/surrounding area on friday the fifth.

Now, I just need to find my student ID for cheap caltrain tickets!

...will they say that it's not a real HS (or they can't validate it) because it's in texas? If so, that gets a BOO and I'll call my principal's house on my cell, to get me some cheap tickets.

Does the student discount apply to professors, too? My dad is a professor of neurobahoology.... If we can both get cheap tickets.. then AWW YA.
    It should work, right? I got my WSJ subscription on the cheap through him....

24. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Aww I'd love to go but it's too far :(

Wonder if there's anything interesting to see at HollyHill? :p