Any investors afraid of Creative patent lawsuit against apple?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by manicdvln, May 16, 2006.

1. manicdvln macrumors member

I am extremely afraid, and I have bought apple shares at 74$ months ago. I think Apple will lose in courst this time around and the implications would be astronomical as I believe this might lead to halting ipod sales or even worse, royalty fees as well as compensation. Would drive the stocks down :confused:

What do you guys think? Am I over reacting? Should I sell my stocks now at a loss?

IPod Rival Alleges Patent Infringement
    Creative Sues Apple Over iPod

2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

No. I doubt creative will get anything out of this.

At worst, Apple will modify the iPod interface. But not halt 'Pod sales.

3. manicdvln thread starter macrumors member

Are you basing your prediction on reason and research or plain apple fanboyism?

If you read the first article, it says:

"In early 2001, representatives of Apple and Creative, including Apple CEO Steve Jobs, met to discuss ways they could work together, the complaint stated. Apple requested to license Creative's technology and also suggested it could invest in a potential spinoff of Creative's music player business, but Creative declined both proposals, according to Creative's complaint."

Why would apple do this? It is obvious that apple knows it might lose, hence trying to break a deal outside of court.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That meeting occurred FIVE YEARS AGO. Well before Apple could have even thought of Creative suing them for an interface. I think the mountain of prior art by, well, almost everyone (like NeXT, and since Apple bought NeXT, all of that prior art is now Apple's), will probably end up invalidating Creative's patent.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I bet Apple's Lawyers are happy with the Supreme this week.

Creative wants an immediate injunction, Apple will say NO we probably won't have to because ...

U.S. Supreme Court sides with eBay in victory for patent reformers

Even if Apple loses, it'll be license fees years from now.

Chances are it's not too big an investor worry right now.

6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Creative is a dying company. Sad to say, but its quite true.

Their Sound Blaster products arent as good as they used to be, and Integrated Audio is getting a hell of a lot better. Hell, I dropped in a Live card in my AMD64, and then pulled it out because the Nvidia NForce 3 sound chip sounded better and supported more features, including Dolby 5.1, and the newest EAX.

Lets not even get STARTED on Creatives MP3 players.

I fiddled with a friends, and got confused with it after 30 seconds.

First time I touched an iPod, I was able to figure it out very, very quickly, compared to Creatives Zen Piece-of-s***.

7. /SG\ macrumors newbie

Their sound cards are better than ever, offering Signal to Noise ratios comparable to ultra high-end stereo systems.

I've owned Creative products for a couple of years. First time I picked up an iPod, I found the circular touchpad annoying and hard to get used to. I did not find any improvement over, say, a Zen Micro. If you have problems with a Zen, I'd be surprised if you considered yourself competent with tech in general.