Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i eversaw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta
I'm going to purchase an iPad 2 and I noticed this Dodo case. It is EXACTLY the style I want to protect my iPad. Has anyone else found a better or more inexpensive solution with this style?

screenshot20110308at102.png

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Portenzo is the other major brand making cases in this style. Both have their pluses and minuses. Dodo has a stiffer spine that is better for typing, but it won't fold totally flat. Portenzo has a better corner system (although Dodo has recently fixed their previospusly problematic design). Neither are cheap.

Sw33t

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
I think Treegloo also makes a moleskin type case. I think it starts at $35. Haven't seen many reviews on them though.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I've owned both the Dodo and Portenzo and prefer Portenzo hands down--much better corners and build quality. As mentioned, Treegloo makes a version and also Pad and Quill (this looks very nice). Prices appear to be comparable for all of them.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I've owned both the Dodo and Portenzo and prefer Portenzo hands down--much better corners and build quality. As mentioned, Treegloo makes a version and also Pad and Quill (this looks very nice). Prices appear to be comparable for all of them.

As I've noted recently in the Dodo thread, the new corners solve the issue 100%, and I have no issues with the build quality of the Dodo after nearly 6 months of heavy use. Still holding up beautifully.

Dodo case actually just released their iPad 2 design and is up for order...

Here's 10% off your order for ya if you so choose.

http://dodo.anfr.me/5WDID5

Wonder how they are going to handle the back camera...

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
From the photos, it doesn't look like there's a hole but I could be wrong as I've heard something about vents or something for the speakers. Still my fav case for iPad1!

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
No hole, you're going to have to remove your iPad in order to shot a video and take photos..

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
Thank goodness it's not much of a prob for me since the Dodo case is my work case. But I'll probably want something too that has the hole as an option... I've always like the particle case too for when I'm at home.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

tbayrgs said:

I've had both the Dodo and the Portenzo. My dodo had the rubber mounts fall out though they say that problem is fixed with a new glue.

The portenzo has a very loose spine. You can't angle it for typing like you could for the Dodo.

Also the Portenzo tends to fit the iPad so tight that the back of the Portenzo bows out.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
From the photos, it doesn't look like there's a hole but I could be wrong as I've heard something about vents or something for the speakers. Still my fav case for iPad1!

I didn't get the feeling the photos on the site were of the ACTUAL iPad 2 case - they look to me like they are the iPad 1 case with a white iPad 2 photo-shopped in place. Otherwise they'd have close-ups of the detailed changes. Fact is, they almost certainly don't yet have an iPad 2 in hand.

That's the Pad and Quill that is available also through their site. IIRC, it is considerably larger and heavier than the Dodo or Portenzo.

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
I'm trying to decide on the Dodo vs the Portenzo for the iPad 2. I'm leaning towards the Portenzo due to the reliability problems that keep cropping up on the Dodo's.

I just wish they could ship them sooner.

Phisherman81

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
I didn't get the feeling the photos on the site were of the ACTUAL iPad 2 case - they look to me like they are the iPad 1 case with a white iPad 2 photo-shopped in place. Otherwise they'd have close-ups of the detailed changes. Fact is, they almost certainly don't yet have an iPad 2 in hand.

That's the Pad and Quill that is available also through their site. IIRC, it is considerably larger and heavier than the Dodo or Portenzo.

My bad, I missed that above...

Sometimes I find I like the image of a lot of these cases more than I actually want to use them. Adding a pound to the ipad and another .5 inch of case puts me in small laptop space, so I have trouble seeing a real-world necessity for a case like this.

I love the way it looks though...

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I'm trying to decide on the Dodo vs the Portenzo for the iPad 2. I'm leaning towards the Portenzo due to the reliability problems that keep cropping up on the Dodo's.

I just wish they could ship them sooner.

I honestly think these issues have been over-blown due to the early issues with the corners. Since that issue is now fixed, I think there is little to complain about with the Dodo. FWIW, there have been issues cropping up with the Portenzo's wood frame recently. Anyhow, if I were buying a new one for the iPad 2, I'd want to wait and see both companies designs - but with regards to quality of work and customer service, both companies are excellent.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
My bad, I missed that above...

Sometimes I find I like the image of a lot of these cases more than I actually want to use them. Adding a pound to the ipad and another .5 inch of case puts me in small laptop space, so I have trouble seeing a real-world necessity for a case like this.

I love the way it looks though...

At least with the 1st gen iPad, these cases don't add nearly as much thickness as you'd think - now they don't follow the curved contour of the iPad, so there is a perception that they add more bulk than they do, but I've had two iPads side-by-side in an Apple case and my Dodo, and they were virtually the same height when set on a table.

As far as use goes, you do lose some of the magic of holding this aluminum and glass wonder in your hands - but the materials of these cases are so nice that it kind of makes up for it. I also love that it really disguises the iPad when in public - and being able to hold it like a book has come in handy many times for privacy and for reducing glare. I also LOVE that these cases don't cover any of the front glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.