Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rapa Whelk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Has any heard of Apple iPod touch 6g rumors?
I was wonder if Apple plans to continue to produce iPod touchs.
I am really eager to get A new iPod touch with 128 GB of memory.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Guys, let it go, Ipod touch is dead, i love it, i use my 5th gen each night but at this point i'm not expecting a 6th anymore. Time to say goodbye.

My ipod touch replacement is gonnna be pretty much an iphone 6s....i assume.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I wouldn't give up until they discontinue the touch. There is obviously some sort of market that exists, as it would have been discontinued otherwise.

I think its gonna get rebranded as the iPad Nano or something. iPad Nano, Mini, Air and Pro would make up an interesting lineup. Will Apple do it?? Who knows.

nclife

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2015
I succumbed and bought a 64GB iPT 5th gen this morning. I was trying to hold out for a 6th gen (hopefully with 128Gb), but my 4th gen (32 GB) has started to become, in a word, moody.

Interestingly, it was already marked down 10%; the salesperson didn’t know if that was due to the color (yellow) or not. By using the store credit card today, I got an additional 15% off. So it was actually cheaper than the refurbished one in the Apple online store. BTW, this was at a financially healthy retailer so this was NOT a ‘going out of business’ sale.

I’d really hoped to hold out for a 6th gen, but didn’t feel that I could. Actually, had I known it would have taken this long, I actually would have bought one last fall. Of course, now that I’ve purchased a 5th gen, I’m sure an 6th gen announcement will be imminent….

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Has any heard of Apple iPod touch 6g rumors?
I was wonder if Apple plans to continue to produce iPod touchs.
I am really eager to get A new iPod touch with 128 GB of memory.

No rumors so far. Signs all seem to point toward them discontinuing it as well as not granting the fifth generation iPod touch iOS 9, marking the beginning of the true end of usefulness of the device beyond its inherent stock capabilities.

I too, am extremely hopeful for a sixth generation iPod touch with 128GB capacities and, perhaps, the 4.7" screen of the iPhone 6 (as the 5.5" screen of the iPhone 6 Plus doesn't seem appropriate for something in the "iPod" family) as well as some kind of processor faster than the aging A5. Alas, it REALLY doesn't look likely that they'll do anything of that sort, let alone anything at all.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
I wouldn't give up until they discontinue the touch. There is obviously some sort of market that exists, as it would have been discontinued otherwise.

Well as a matter of fact Apple shouldn't still be selling the ipod touch 5.

Why?

Because it is not ethic as simple as that, would you sell a 2011 PC to a person who doesn't know about technology? NO.

ipod touch 5th + ios 8.2 = just a bad experience period.

Yes, you can still install latest versions of spotify or google play music on it but the browsing experience with safari is just lame currently, slow.

For me it is pretty clear ios9 will be the final coup de grâce for the device.,

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Well as a matter of fact Apple shouldn't still be selling the ipod touch 5.

Why?

Because it is not ethic as simple as that, would you sell a 2011 PC to a person who doesn't know about technology? NO.

ipod touch 5th + ios 8.2 = just a bad experience period.

Yes, you can still install latest versions of spotify or google play music on it but the browsing experience with safari is just lame currently, slow.

For me it is pretty clear ios9 will be the final coup de grâce for the device.,

I'm not saying that it's a good thing that they're selling them. I'm just saying the people must be buying them.

leolatarc

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2015
I'm going to be honest about this.

If Apple wasn't a company so focused on profit margins, you would get your wish of a 6th generation iPod Touch.

The fact that its still making money, although not as much as other products, is a reason to keep it.

The same reasons why were seeing iMac's and Mac Mini's with laptop internals, the same reasons why we're seeing an iPad Mini greatly outshine by its bigger brother, are the reasons why the iPod Touch won't be updated, IMO.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I'm going to be honest about this.

If Apple wasn't a company so focused on profit margins, you would get your wish of a 6th generation iPod Touch.

The fact that its still making money, although not as much as other products, is a reason to keep it.

The same reasons why were seeing iMac's and Mac Mini's with laptop internals, the same reasons why we're seeing an iPad Mini greatly outshine by its bigger brother, are the reasons why the iPod Touch won't be updated, IMO.

I think they're waiting for particular A6 or A7 components to become cheap enough to use to get the margins they want. They'll wait till its really cheap, and if there is still a market, they'll make it.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
The iPod is near the end of its life. Apple is no longer updating it or giving it any marketing exposure. The Watch is taking its place in the fitness category and Beats on both iPhone and Apple Watch will take its music title away as well.

As a purely entertainment device for app and game consumption, the iPad mini is more adequate with its larger screen while remaining at a similar price point.

I expect Apple to either eliminate or simplify the iPod category down to one SKU, perhaps keeping only the iPod Nano for purely portable music consumption at a low price point.

^ This.

Except the ones which are still on stock worldwide of course.
http://www.apple.com/ipod/

That is so uncool selling an old piece of junk still....bad Apple. However they are not the only ones, i know a retail store which still sells the galaxy s3 and its as expensive as the s5......go Forrest go and buy it!

Last edited:

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I agree. I think at this point, it's time to consider other options.

J

IpT5 2/IpT5 2nd edition/another IpT5!

That, or I did get an refurbed Ipad Air. That'll be my new iOS gaming device, and I'll sacrifice the portability of the IpT then.

I can play many more games on it, with some of them (universal, also for Ipad Retina) looking even better. Ironically enough, a few games are worse since the large screen makes swiping and flicking more of a hassle.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
BTW guys that yesterday news about a possible ipod touch 6, was only a rumour or the source is trustable? Apple insider.. is that trustable?

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
From a business stand point, Apple should release an iPT that's the same as the iPhone 6+, without the phone part, just like the old days.

The reason is Asia. Rich nations like the US are a small percent of the world market. The "phone" part of smart phones aren't used much and if not there, WiFi phones get the job done.

I think Google has announced a new WiFi phone service that could be a game changer.

Most people in the world live on something near $1/day, a 2 year contract for a phone just won't work for them.

In addition, Apple need all the market share it can get.

Apple's numbers are huge if you look at profit, if you look at market share, it's a different story.

If Android get it's act together concerning malware an more uniform product lines, they could change things quickly.

Once a platform is set, it's harder to get the user base to switch. If Asia goes Android or if the business world goes Android, it'll be hard for Apple to unseat that base.

The other issue is developers in low income areas, if they can't afford the devices to develop on Apple, they'll go Android.

The same thing goes for BB, Win, and Amazon. It's all about market share and being able to keep it.

The largest markets are not rich.

Vesuvio Cat

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
From a business stand point, Apple should release an iPT that's the same as the iPhone 6+, without the phone part, just like the old days.

The reason is Asia. Rich nations like the US are a small percent of the world market. The "phone" part of smart phones aren't used much and if not there, WiFi phones get the job done.

I think Google has announced a new WiFi phone service that could be a game changer.

Most people in the world live on something near $1/day, a 2 year contract for a phone just won't work for them.

In addition, Apple need all the market share it can get.

Apple's numbers are huge if you look at profit, if you look at market share, it's a different story.

If Android get it's act together concerning malware an more uniform product lines, they could change things quickly.

Once a platform is set, it's harder to get the user base to switch. If Asia goes Android or if the business world goes Android, it'll be hard for Apple to unseat that base.

The other issue is developers in low income areas, if they can't afford the devices to develop on Apple, they'll go Android.

The same thing goes for BB, Win, and Amazon. It's all about market share and being able to keep it.

The largest markets are not rich.

Very astute observation. My only correction would be that the 2 year contract clause isn't relevant here. Most iPhones that are sold in the developing world are sold unlocked and for very high prices - an iPhone 6 is about $1000 in Ghana. But an iPod touch would also be quite expensive in a developing country - $200 to $300 is a lot. The iPhone 5C sells well in developing economies.

----------

I have lived in Ghana, Ethiopia, and now South Sudan. So I know a thing or two about this topic. And Samsung has a huge percentage of the market share.

ewout

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2014
very few people around me would like to buy an iPod product any longer. iPad is much more perfered. besides apple product, samsung product is also popular with my friends, nice looking and and a little bit cheaper :D

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
After all these days that news about an ipod touch 6g feels just like another rumour, my 2 cents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.