Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2003
For those that have recieved their MP w/8800GT, could you post to this thread and tell us if you are seeing any of the issues that the extremely early adopters were seeing (resart on wake from sleep, hard drive issues, etc)?

Thanks,
Hickman

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

faumble

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
so if it is also freezing with the 8800 can we conclude it is a software thing that will be solved with an update like 10.5.2? or could it be something else?

Mr.PS

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2008
It's probably software then... **** who am I kidding. This is horrible, how can this be? Why is Apple releasing hardware/software with issues?

yukio

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
Second connector on 8800GT

it's a little dark in the pic so i can't be sure - but i have an 8800gt on a pc and think the connection you speak of - edge connector at top of the board near the DVI plug side of the card - is the SLI connector for daisy-chaining multiple NVidia cards together.

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
It's probably software then... **** who am I kidding. This is horrible, how can this be? Why is Apple releasing hardware/software with issues?

because all of their attention and quality control is going to the iPhone. If you think it's bad now, wait five years when they've increased their marketshare 10-fold

gdieter

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2007
SoCal

Um, because all the beta testers (sorry, early adopters) are already ringing the phone off the hook demanding free overnight and $100 back...

faumble

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
Um, because all the beta testers (sorry, early adopters) are already ringing the phone off the hook demanding free overnight and $100 back...
maybe if we cry like people did when they lowered the iphone price we can cry about how buggy they are and they will lower the price and give early adopters $100 bucks!....um,just maybe.. but really if the iphone early adopters all got a reward for believing in apple and they paid $599, shouldn't someone that paid $3000 or $5000 deserve the same for believing in apple, even more with some of the ati models not working correctly?

snagitseven

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008

Seems like a bit soon to be jumping off a cliff yet. It's one guy's post with a one-liner and no details provided. Everyone should wait and see if others are having any issues.

mogrefy

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2003
Idaho
Seems like a bit soon to be jumping off a cliff yet. It's one guy's post with a one-liner and no details provided. Everyone should wait and see if others are having any issues.

I completely agree, one liner with no further details definitely does not confirm anything yet!

videomaven

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
I believe the 10.5.2 will solve a number of graphics-related issues. There are at least a few that I know of but, being under NDA, I won't say even anonymously! But I can say that there is a graphics update in 10.5.2 and developers have been testing that.

Makes me glad now that my MP order is stuck somewhere. Hopefully 10.5.2 will be out by the time mine finally arrives.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Mine is doing what the ATI is doing locking up.

Care to provide us with some more info???

So far you are the only person on MR who has stated this. We need details! Locking up during 3d applications? Locking up after waking from sleep? Locking up while just sitting dormant on the desktop?

Please feed our need for intel. :D

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
There are two 6 pin PCIe bay power connectors on the motherboard. They can be used to power two Radeon X1900 XTs. (The Radeon HD 2600 XT needs no power source other than what's provided by the PCIe slot.)

I don't know how many feeds the GeForce 8800 GT requires. It should come with the proprietary power cable(s) with 6 pin connectors on each end.

The Quadro FX 5600 is a power "pig" and requires two power feeds. Ditto for the GeForce FX 8800 GTX we got to work under Vista 64 in our Mac Pro.

faumble

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
I completely agree, one liner with no further details definitely does not confirm anything yet!
maybe we freak out, but the ati freezing issue is what started it all, and what pisses me off is how the early adopters of the iphone got a reward for believing in apple, the macpro takes over a year to get updated, we pay a LOT for it,like jb60606 says, the quality controls has gone somewhere else...

Mark Fletcher

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
For the people who have the 2008 Mac Pro's with 8800 GT's... if you have an old 2006/2007 Mac Pro lying around you could try putting the 8800GT into it and see if it boots?

Thanks,

Mark

SolrFlare

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
No lockups, sleep problems so far here with my 8800gt. Where exactly should I be seeing them. For reference my Mac Pro woke from sleep just fine.

Edit: in fact the only issue so far was it didn't like installing vista 64 with my raptor drive in bay 3. Once I put it in either bay 2 or 1 it worked fine. That and my 7200.11 baracuda was a sd14 stinker :p So I had to flash the firmware with my PC and it works great now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.