Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jceeetle

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
Southern CA
I had one reboot after wake from sleep yesterday. That was after all the 10.5.2 and graphics updates were installed. I was logged out at the time and only had it in sleep mode for a few minutes.

Since then I've been installing SW so I've disabled sleep and just shutdown at night. Since rebooting is so fast, its not that big a problem. I'll eventually try the PRAM/SMC reset when I get the time. Got my Mac Pro Tues 2/12 with the 8800GT option.

tugger

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Whats this PRAM/SMC fix I keep hearing about? How is it done?

PRAM reset:

Restart the Mac. Simultaneously hold down the Command (Apple)-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the *bong* on restart. Keep these keys depressed until you hear a second startup *bong*, then release the keys. This resets parameter RAM. Many people have reported that this fixes the restart on wake-from-sleep problem.

SMC reset:

Shutdown the Mac Pro. Unplug everything including the power cable for a few minutes. Then reconnect the power cable and your peripherals and boot the box.

Mr.PS

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2008
Mine was asleep all night (about 10 hours) I had 4 spaces with 3-4 apps in each open and it woke up from sleep just fine... Sleeping it for shorter periods also yields the same result...

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2003
Mine was asleep all night (about 10 hours) I had 4 spaces with 3-4 apps in each open and it woke up from sleep just fine... Sleeping it for shorter periods also yields the same result...

I did the PRAM/SMC thing, and I have had two lengthy sleeps (>5 hours) successfully wake up. Hopefully this is the start of a very long trend.

Hickman

Weepul

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
I plugged it in the back and I changed the settings. Headphones sound works great but headphones mic seems to be not working. I have the pink (mic) plug jack plugged next to it (green jack for sound) but still nothing. What did I miss?
Macs only take line level signal in, which is a stronger signal than microphone level signal. PCs often have microphone in - Macs have line level in for audio work. You'll need a microphone preamp of some sort, or maybe something like Griffin's iMic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.