Any Java developers out there?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by bmeyer, Jan 10, 2003.

1. bmeyer macrumors newbie

Hi All-

I desperately need to use Java 1.4.1 on my Mac, but I can't figure out how to tell the machine to default to 1.4.1 rather than 1.3. I've already downloaded the latest Developer Release, which basically has no documentation... Any ideas as to what I should do? I have to get this working before my PC roommate finds out there's something my Mac CAN'T do! :cool: Thanks for your help.

Brent

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

What are you using do develop?

Are you using the Apple Dev Tools? So you downloaded JAVA 1.4.1 pre-developer release? You have to set your JAVA class path up to point to the 1.4.1 if you want to keep several versions of JAVA arround. I think you can do it with the GUI with project builder... but Im not sure. I have no need to keep old versions of JAVA on my mac (I do at work... on my PC).

I bet the installer takes care of that kind of stuff for you anyway... apple is good about that. There is recent Apple Dev Tools that came out late Dec. There will probably be a formal upgrade to it when JAVA 1.4.1 is ready to ship

3. bmeyer thread starter macrumors newbie

evildead-

Yeah, I downloaded the preview release and the Dev tools packages. I'm using a different development environment (DrJava) and I can't figure out how to make it use 1.4.1. Are you saying you removed the 1.3.x versions from your computer completely? Sounds dangerous, but clearly I don't know too much on this subject :) . All I do know is that the installer doesn't remove previous versions or make 1.4 the default. Anyway, thanks for your help!

bm

4. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

DRJAVA

I have not user DrJAVA ... is it an IDE? There must be some way to set the class path so you can use the latest JAVA. I have not seen any IDE's that dont let you do it. Some give you a nice drop down menue so you can pick which JAVA you want to work with. JBuilder, WebGain, CodeWarrior, Forte (SunOne Studio), MS J++, all will let you chage your classpath. And I think Apple Project Builder will as welll. I never trash my old JAVA versions