Any Linux users here?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Wildcat, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Wildcat macrumors regular

If so can you recomend a website for someone starting out with Linux. One that might help me grow in the programing department specificly.

2. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

www.linux.com is pretty good.

What brand do you use?

I tried YellowDog for a little while but it's not that great. Now it's like redhat for PPC.

3. Wildcat thread starter macrumors regular

I have already looked at linux.com was hoping I would find another site.
    I was gonna use Yellow dog untill I could build a linux box out of spair parts and then I dont know what flavor I would use

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

5. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

If you build your linux box pay attention to 2 things.

1 keep it cheap! It doesn t need a amd 3000+ or anything like that an xp 1800 makes it fine, beleive me.

2 use debian or mandrake.

debian is also really good on ppc architectures.

Have fun with linux

6. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Iv'e been messing around with Red Hat 8.0. It's ok. My big issue right now is I can't get my palm to sync, and linux doesn't support winmodems (as in a laptop, where I have it installed). When I use it, it kind of reminds me of OS X beta.... you know, pretty good, but not quite there yet. If I can get my palm to work, I would be really happy. I am thinking of taking some classes this fall on linux. Maybe I will learn something then.

Here is a website you can try.
    http://www.linux.org/ Iv'e only visited here a few times; maybe it will help. Good luck.:)

7. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

you might also consider debian, they have a PPC version of their linux. i think YDL and debian are the only PPC linuxes.

8. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I can't help with programming, but here are some other things you will need as you get started with Linux:

1) Soap (Zest, Dial, Lever 2000; I recommend Ivory because it's cheap)
    2) Deodorant (Degree, Old Spice, Right Guard, etc.)
    3) Razors (Gillette, Schick; for electrics, Braun and Panasonic work well)
    4) Toothpaste (Crest, Colgate, etc.)

Try to buck the trend amongst Linux users and use each of these at least once a week, although be warned that none of them are free as in either speech or beer.

9. vniow macrumors G4

Debian PPC is a real pain in the ass though, you have to know Linux in irder to get everythig set up, not for newbies.

Mandrake has a PPC port, but its stuck at 8.2 while their excellent x86 version is at 9.1 now and miles better than 8.2.

Suse has a PPC port too and so does Red Hat (I think)

Whatever you get though, make sure it has at least KDE 3.0 (3.1 is preferred)

Also remember alex_ant's tips, you won't get anywhere without them.

10. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

linux rules. :)

but os x rules more, so normally i look for unix (basic) stuff or freebsd stuff and compile them. as i have only the mac.

if i had a pc, i'd go for the *BSD or debian.

11. Wildcat thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I am getting a AMD 2400 XP with mb for free from my dad :)

12. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

wildcat--have you considered playing with fink instead, with apple's X11? KDE is a lot of fun integrated with the quartz-wm, and runs pretty smooth.

good call on the debian tip, vniow; i've never messed with it. i hear they have a really good package-based updating system though (more for broadband people, i'm told).

and i didn't know about mandrake. too bad it's not at 9, i would go for that for sure when i get a firewire drive. i played with mandrake linux on my PC and thought it was cool.

13. Wildcat thread starter macrumors regular

hahahah!
    very true
    I will keep all of this in mind

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

SuSE has very good PPC support for IBM's largest computers; however, they're stuck a few versions behind on small machines. v7.3 is available for Macintosh and v8.2 is about ready for x86 hardware. Red Hat, as far as I know, doesn't have a direct port but Yellow Dog Linux is directly related.

15. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i agree on the comparison, one thing i really like about redhat is the ability to have multiple desktops-no matter what OS i am using besides llinux, i miss that :D

16. xlemming macrumors newbie

distros

I've used the PPC versions of Mandrake, Debian, and Yellow Dog (only on PPC). Mandrake is a very easy distro (on x86) but lacks many ppc features/drivers specifically the power managment. Debian is hard in either x86 or PPC (harder on the PPC too) it lacks many pre-compiled drivers and stuff can be hard to get working.
    For the PPC I would suggest Yellow Dog. It is the only distro made specifically for PPC and supports everything on your computer (except for really new stuff).
    Why you need to use linux anymore I don't know. I just deleted my linux partition because I now have xwindows running seemlessly in OS X. (so much for my hopes of running MacOnLinux, I had it working for a few days).

17. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

I'm thinking of converting this old Cube to a super quiet webserver (just for my page and a few friends), and PPC Linux seems to be just the ticket to up the speed. OS X is a bit slow on this machine, and I would assume that Linux would be noticably faster. Is YellowDog the way to go for this type of thing?

18. Wildcat thread starter macrumors regular

ok
    all of the sites seem really informative
    let me just run something by everyone to see if anyone thinks this is even possible and if so what areas do I need to focus on.

So I think it would really be cool to biuld my own car mp3 player. I have heard that Linux is easily modified so I figured this is the direction I need to go in. What do I need to know to be able to creat a program that is the entire user interface for linux. Basically I want this linux box to do nothing but play mp3s and do everything a sterio can do but be controlled through a GUI that would use mouse clicks. I realize this is a very complicated undertaking but I just want to know what I would need to learn to acomplish this. I have limited experiance with OOP ( Java ) and concepts related to OOP. I will probably be takeing a class relating to asembly code soon. Would any of this be pertanante to my project?

Thanks

19. Wildcat thread starter macrumors regular

20. Wildcat thread starter macrumors regular

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You're asking a huge question.

Yes, it could be done. Yes, your experience would be pertinent.

From what I've read of your experience, if you work 24/7 on it, you could have it done in 1-2 years. You said that your experience was limited.

If the code already exists for an open source mp3 player, which it probably does, I'd say you'd be down to below 1 year (if the code is clear and well-documented) but that's just my opinion.

22. Wildcat thread starter macrumors regular

yeah I know of a few different open source mp3 players out there( MP3 123 I think) the main obsitcal I foresee is moding the OS. I just need a starting point.

23. Wildcat thread starter macrumors regular

yeah I know of a few different open source mp3 players out there( MP3 123 I think) the main obsitcal I foresee is moding the OS. I just need a starting point.