any luck with multiperson video chat in Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macanno, May 19, 2005.

1. macanno macrumors newbie

hi there,

i tested iChat multiperson video chat with two buddies but none of us can be the host for multiperson video chat and we got the error message "Your machine is not capable of initiating a multiperson video chat". Bandwidth was checked and shouldn't be an issue coz i have over 1,000kbps up/down. two of us got our machine config iMac G5 Rev.B 2GHz with 1GB RAM, while the third one got a Powerbook G4 1.67GHz with 1GB RAM as well. does anyone have similar problem and any advice to resolve the issue?

thanks very much for any advice.

cheers, macanno

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, the PB can't do it (see requirements), and I don't know what bandwidth the other iMac has, but if you have the bandwidth you say you have, then I don't see why your iMac won't host.

Attached Files:

3. macanno thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. I also dont see why i can't host (saw that requirements table too) and what's where i'm coming from. machine config should fit for being a host and bandwidth enough too. the error keeping popping up whenever i tried to initiate multi video chat.... :(

4. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

the requirements to do a multiperson video chat are ridiculous. :rolleyes:

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, they'll probably come down a bit, but think about what's happening: all but the server need to be able to decode H.264 (need that new codec to be able to send that much video over relatively low - 100kbps - bandwidth), and the server needs to input three streams and composite them - and it's own - into one H.264 stream for viewing and transmission.

6. sonofapplepm macrumors member

According to the requirements, it says 1ghz G4 can participate. So the PB should qualify at 1.67ghz! All the computers he listed should be capable! Waiting for money for Tiger so my dad and I can chat along with my Stepbrother!

7. Teeolee macrumors member

my computer is as my signature, and i was watching 3 people having a conversation, but i do not have a webcam, so i cannot do anything.

t.

8. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Really, can no one else confirm an iMac can host?