Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Since I don't think I have made a true photo-type label, I really cannot have a good guess. I don't think it really uses ink more than that epson, but both did drain the ink. (The only saving grace is that this printer never clogs vs that epson that I was having to run the cleaning program multiple times to get all 7 colors working.)

I was able to find some office depot brand ink for the older epson, but I have not found any for the HP yet (can use the following ink: type 74/74xl/75/99/100 ink.)

What got me off the epson was the clogging of the print head, it was a constant battle to get it working every time I let the printer sit for a week or so. I have not had this problem with the HP at all, I guess because you replace the print head with the cartridge.

As far as the costs, I can't really compare them too much, except that I am buying real HP ink now. I am going to try a cartridge world store to see if they can refill them, but have not done so yet.

I purchased my printer at the local Best Buy, so maybe if you have one close buy you can demo whatever the newest HP that prints on cd/dvd for yourself before make your purchase decision.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I read in the reviews the Amazon reviews that aside from the price, the image produced on the discs are sub-par. Thoughts?

I'm looking at making professional DVD labels, and plan on running about 20 DVD's for each project. Hows does the ink handle on this?

I do not find it sub-par at all. It's not true photographic quality, but I print images of my clients on the front and have had nothing but positive feedback. Personally having dealt with clogs and hassles with inkjet printers used for disk printing, I'm just happy to have something that works everytime without problem.

jcpenn

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
If you do not print that much or that frequent, you should turn your printer on all the time to keep print head from clogging - that's what my local printer repair shop told me.

I've read some really good things about InkRepublic and will go probably go with their bulk ink and CIS, continuous ink system for both my big epson 3800 and small R280.

joaoferro99

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
S. California
If you do not print that much or that frequent, you should turn your printer on all the time to keep print head from clogging - that's what my local printer repair shop told me.

I've read some really good things about InkRepublic and will go probably go with their bulk ink and CIS, continuous ink system for both my big epson 3800 and small R280.

you can also setup some auto-print task, or schedule a task, every day and let your printer print nozzle check while you are away. This also helps a lot.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
When it comes to ink I found this place through Amazon where I get my cartridges for my fiances Dell A940 all in one for about 20 bucks a piece (and 17 bucks a piece before shipping if you get three or more) here http://www.inkplustoner.com
Dell charges 30 to 35 each before shipping for hers, they probably have good pricing for CD printers too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.