Any Mac-using Eagle Scouts out there?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by asherman13, Feb 16, 2006.

1. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Hey all,

I'm hopefully getting approval for my Eagle Scout project tonight (turning a warehouse into a thift store for a local non-profit where they can sell donated family stuff to low-income families) and I was just wondering if there are any Eagle Scouts (or Boy Scouts in general) here on Macrumors.

Well?

2. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

My hubby, nbs2, doesn't like to admit it, but he's an Eagle Scout. I don't think I even actually got him to admit that to me until a few months after we were married (even after I pointed to his Eagle Scout certificate hanging on the wall of his bedroom in his parents' home).

3. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

i will be getting it soon. i have a few more merit badges to go, and i still can't find an eagle project to do.. been searching for 4 months or so. kinda sad. i moved so quickly to life, but hit a wall called "the road from life to eagle". thats what my troop calls it anyway.

wow, now i feel like a geek in an entirely non because-i-use-a-mac-and-am-obsessed-with-them kind of way. this is new. :D

4. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Just waiting on cycling merit badge. Project has been done since August of 2005.

Life - SPL - O/A Lodge Secretary

:)

5. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Just got back, and it got approved.

virus1: Are there any organizations that you know of or that you and/or your family is active in? My mom volunteers for the non-profit; that's how I got my idea. Try to approach an Eagle Scout Project as though you would an invention (I just saw Robots with my little brother, so bear with me): find a need, and fill it. Whether it's a park that could use some restoration and/or beautification, a warehouse that needs converting, or anything else you can see that could be fixed up, I'm sure you could make an Eagle Scout Project out of it; just apply that keen, Mac-using mind, and you'll be well on your way.

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I'm troop committee chair. My son made eagle about 3 months ago (got a bronze palm a couple weeks back.

My son has been working on that badge for 4 years.,..:D

7. makisushi macrumors 6502

I am an Eagle Scout.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

<raises hand> Yo!

I've been an Assistant Scoutmaster for about 7 years now....but going off to get my Master's will put a hold on scouting for a bit.

9. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I received my Eagle Scout award in 1998 (right after my 16th birthday). I received the Vigil Honor (Order of the Arrow) in 1999 from Kaskanampo Lodge 310 and the Founder's Award (Order of the Arrow) in 2001 with Coosa Lodge 50.

I served one year as Lodge Chief of Coosa Lodge in 2002, which was preceded by several other LEC positions (Treasurer, Tribe Chief, Chapter Chief, etc) and has been succeeded by several Advisory positions within the lodge.

I've been to NOAC four times (1998, 2000, 2002, and 2004) and attended Indian Summer (2003). I'm supposed to be on training staff for NOAC this year, but I'm still waiting on details and paperwork to finalize that.

10. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I was a Boy Scout all the way from Tiger Cub. I made it to the Life rank, and needed only a few easy merit badges and a project to become an Eagle Scout. However, the boys in charge my pack, who had recently obtained their Eagle brought some pot to a camp out and proceeded to act like complete idiots. At that point (now almost 6 years ago) I lost my faith in the organization and my drive to attain Eagle. In hindsight, it's a sore spot, and I know that those boys were not representative of the organization, and I should have switched to another troop and finished what I had invested so many years of my life trying to achieve.

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yeah, I'm an Eagle Scout, and quite frankly, that's an awesome project. It's a lot better in my opinion than the park benches or pavillions a lot of people do (nothing wrong with those, but they're just not as good). Good luck, let us know how it goes!

jW

12. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

I am an Eagle Scout.

I earned mine in 1995, I was 15. asherman13, becoming an Eagle is one of the greatest things you will do. It's not something I usually advertise but when/if people find out, they are impressed. Having it on a resume gives you automatic credability.

Best of luck to you and your project!

lol. Hey! I did park benches! :D ;)

I guess I lacked creativity back then, but it was still a fun and worthwhile project. Besides, it's not the project that's important, it's being committed to a cause and following through.

13. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

I got to Eagle in 1995. Good times. I was the only one in my graduating class that stuck it all the way from Bobcat to Eagle.

Congrats on getting approval on your project! Good luck with everything.

14. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I won't admit to being one, but that's more because I don't like the fuss people make about it. I don't know - I'm kind of strange like that. People getting all excited about things I do really tweaks me. Not that I am any good, but I would have gone nuts with the glory/accolades that Bush/Young/Leinart (and even White) got this year.

15. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Don't let him fool you.... he's good at whatever he really sets his mind to (fixes my PC all the time for me) :) But I'll keep the praises on the DL.... :cool:

16. RHMMMM macrumors member

I'm a park-bench Eagle Scout (actually it was benches and other stuff for the Humane Society). I was in the OA, too. I forget what I have in the way of palms. Got mine back in 97 or 98, I forget.

17. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Damn them 50 mile bike rides! :mad: :D

I hope to run for Vice Chief next year, then Chief the year after. And then of course, try for Vigil. ;)

Here was my Eagle Project:

Before....
    [​IMG]

After....
    [​IMG]

I basically made my school look nice, by removing weeds, overgrowth, and trash cleanup. Kinda a lot of work, but my uncle's construction company donated machinery (Bobcat, dump truck, power equipment, etc.) which made my job pretty easy.

[​IMG]

Plus, going on the school roof is always a blast:
    [​IMG]

18. Studawg7 macrumors regular

yep im an Eagle Scout from back in 95/96. I really cant remember the year. I remodeled a cabin at a local camp. Patched a huge hole in the roof, reshingled, painted and landscaped the area.

Plymouthbreezer - you shouldve joined me on my 50 mile bike ride on Mt. Rogers ;)

19. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I'm an Eagle scout too. I got the award last July but I haven't gotten around to having my court of honor yet. College keeps me too busy.

20. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I've sat on Vigil Selection Committees for years and can tell you, from experience, that making an effort to receive Vigil will undoubtedly eliminate you from the list.

No matter what your position is, even if it's just a Chapter Secretary, do your job and do it well. Go to the events, help where you're needed, and find ways to help when you're not. People will notice.

If you have an, "I'm earning my Vigil," attitude, people will notice that, too.

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I did mine in the pouring rain on Cape Cod.

In jeans.

And on a 40+lb steel POS Roadmaster.

As for my project, I ran a book drive. I put boxes at my church and at my workplace (local grocery store) for two weeks. I was expecting around 700 books.

I got 4200 :eek: Suffice to say, I had to find a few more places to donate them ;) (Originally planned as Hasbro Children's Hospital, and a few nursing homes, I ended up also giving around 1000 each to a local shelter (don't know what kind or the name, my parents arranged that one) and my town library.) My father was certainly glad when we got the books out of the garage, as he hadn't been able to park his car in there for a few months. :D

22. yanasax macrumors member

yanasax

whoever posted those pictures of before and after of their eagle scout project did a really nice job!
    My brother is getting his eagle really soon, just a little bit more paper work.
    I had to help him with his project which was cleaning up these two sheds at the church where the scout meetings are held. It involved painting (two coats) and cleaning them out.
    Then he also donated the rest of the money to the church.......
    I was at a Boy Scout Banquet last night, and someone had their Eagle Scout ceremony.......

23. AJBMatrix macrumors 6502

AJBMatrix

Got my Eagle in 2002...Tiger to Eagle.

Finished with my project and everything 3 days before my 18th B-day. Lol, love the pressure of down to the wire.

Project: Remove all old benches and repair them as well as get new benches fabricated by a metal shop to be placed in a National Park, Olcmulgee National Indian Mounds. It was fun because we could not dig without expert supervision.

24. Studawg7 macrumors regular

haha yep i had the 40 lb beast of a roadmaster as well...

25. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Wow, you cut it closer than I did. I had my board 3 weeks to the day before my 18th. :D

My brother is also a Mac user, and an Eagle Scout. His project was a benefit concert for a nearby shelter (a different one from the shelter I gave books too.) Of course, this was before (I think) fund raisers were no longer allowed.