any Macbook purchase regrets?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by D.M.S, Nov 15, 2008.

1. macrumors member

do you regret rushing in getting caught up in the hype and buying the new aluminium macbook and secretly wish you went with the white one or an older model now after a bit of use and noted problems arising?

2. macrumors 68040

VSMacOne

Not for a minute. Even though i've had problems with mine, I'm not sorry I went for it. it's very stylish, handles great, and everytime i pick up a previous model MB i get more excited about my Alu. :eek:

3. macrumors regular

no, but i'm getting the feeling you are

4. thread starter macrumors member

No actually I bought a white one. Just there's this hot offer going on a new one locally that i was tentatively looking into but they seem to be more trouble than they're worth from what I'm reading.

5. macrumors 68040

VSMacOne

Reading the OP's other threads I believe he/she is considering buying one... I think he/she's just trying to get an idea how others feel about their purchase :p IMO..

6. macrumors 68040

VSMacOne

Yes they seem to have some issues, but i think that has happened with all MB's of Rev 1. What kind of deal are you talking about here?!

7. thread starter macrumors member

well yeah I did say I'm tentatively looking at one and the "hot deal" is only $1500.
    They're $2099 new here.(Australia)

Went from the Core Duo MBP to the 2.1 white macbook.which was $1699.
    The decision was based on price mostly I knew I wanted a smaller laptop so it was a given that it would be a macbook so I figured i'd wait and see what they brought out,didn't like them/too expensive,and went the tried and true old design.

And well yeah i am trying to get an idea about how people feel about their purchases.hence asking in a public discussion forum.It's no big secret

8. macrumors 68040

VSMacOne

Oh I didn't say it as a bad thing! :p That's what these forums are for.
    DANG.. that's a $500 price cut!! I wish I could've done that :D

9. macrumors 68040

motulist

The conventional wisdom of Apple fans is that you should never buy rev.A Apple products. You should always wait for at least revision B. If you have the self control to wait.

If you are unfamiliar with the Apple revision system, here's the basic idea (afaik). Whenever a new Apple product is launched it is the revision A version of the product, then at some point later Apple will silently and unannounced begin shipping an updated version of the product that has eliminated the hardware bugs that the revision A version had. The updated product will look the same and be marketed as if it was exactly the same product, so you'll have no idea that the product being shipped now is a better version than the product they were shipping previously. The only way to know when a new version begins shipping is to do some research on the web at non-Apple sites.

p.s. I assume that this isn't just an Apple thing, I assume that all computer manufacturers do this.

10. macrumors regular

jaredtomas

Damn, I thought my deal at $1800 was sweet. Where abouts are you getting this from? (if you don't mind me asking)

11. thread starter macrumors member

From my neighbour who I 'borrow' wireless off.
    We were chatting this morning over coffee and a smoke and i dunno she's not happy with it.i told her to flip it on ebay but she's dead set against it.I said i didn't like the new ones and went with the white one and she was all 'yeah I should've but they were new and i didn't wanna buy old stuff' that kinda thing.
    So yeah this was the 3rd person i'd heard this sorta thing from.
    I couldn't justify dropping over $2K on something i don't like the look off but for a substantial saving I could possibly get over my black key phobia.
    The whole graphics card ,supplied ram and HD size were of no concern to me I upgrade them myself by own sources anyway.
    But like the old design you know it works ect.

12. macrumors 6502a

They still announce it. Depending on the revision, they either do it during MacWorld or some other event (if there are exciting changes). Or they just issue a press release. If you go to apple.com/hotnews or other Mac and tech websites, you see the announcement. And you should check current specs at apple.com/macbook because you might buy the previous revision (some resellers don't drop their prices or say there is a newer revision). Typically, Apple updates its laptops every 6 months so the next one should be around April.

13. macrumors 68040

motulist

No, those are not revisions, those are updates. Those are two extremely different things.

14. macrumors 6502a

I don't know if they changed it for the Intel Macs. But historically, the Powerbook revisions were updates. For instance, the 12-inch PB only had 4 revisions - each revision was announced had an increase in processor speed (and other changes). If you say a Rev A, it's the 867MHz and the Rev D is the 1.5GHz.

15. macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

I was going to get a new MacBook, but like you when I saw the price it was a bit too much for me. I didn't need the extra graphics power (I knew from experience with my Mac Mini that the integrated graphics was enough for me). I went with a White MacBook refurb and don't regret it for a second. There were enough concerns expressed with the glass screen, the trackpad and the usual "Version A issues" to make me decide.

Oh, that and a near £1K laptop and my unholy terror of a two year old son just weren't going to mix well!

If I were you I would hang on until version 2.0; has your white Mac Book done anything to disappoint you?

16. macrumors 68040

motulist

Maybe my information is out of date. In the olden days with G3 towers and what not, there would be silent revisions released which changed things like a bus control chip on the logic board.

17. macrumors 6502a

We are the same, I also have to think back to the olden days! :)

So now I learn there are silent/minor revisions, that don't lead to a change in the model number ...../A to ...../B - which are called Rev A, Rev B. This is the source of our confusion. You are right, the OP should wait for a minor revision which could very well take just a month or two, and the full Rev B could be 4-5 months away.

18. thread starter macrumors member

nope
    more like well for the $$ why don't i take advantage of the opportunity to grab the new design ect and what's that word they use 'future proof' myself or something with it for the next few years.

And er it's a used machine there won't be any waiting....

19. macrumors 68040

VSMacOne

If you look at it from a financial point of view, also consider the fact that the Alu MB will hold it's value a little better then the previous gen MB, just because it's newer, etc. So if you ever have to sell it, you might get more for it than for a WhiteBook...
    AND i dont know this for a fact, but if you ever want to upgrade to Snow Leopard the Alu MB will probably handle it better and you'll be able to take advantage of the improvements..
    but again, it comes down strictly to what you want to live with for a while :cool:

20. macrumors 6502

I have absolutely no regrets about it.. i got it about a week and a half after they came out and everything on mine is perfect.. my keys were slanted but i fixed it.. and basically i got a perfect machine =D

21. macrumors 601

clyde2801

I regret that I didn't go straight for the MBP instead of messing around exhanging washed out screens for washed out screens.

And for the people who lucked out with theirs, more power to you.

22. macrumors 65816

No problem with mine :) Don't regret it for a second.

23. macrumors 68000

shady825

My only regret is that its taken me 20 years to buy a mac! no turning back baby!!!

I am 101% happy with my Macbook.

24. macrumors member

The only thing I regret is not getting the MBP and the ony reason is because of how terrible the macbook lcd is.

However, I really like the weight/size of the macbook, and I couldn't justify nearly $1000 more for the mbp (if I went mbp I would want the proc with more cache).

25. macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I second this.

Although that said, I didn't have any problems with Windows. Leopard is far easier though, miles ahead. Love the features on it hence the purchase :D