Any Marathon fans here?

Discussion in 'Games' started by 5300cs, Apr 4, 2005.

1. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Okay, I know this is going to sound stupid, but what was it that made Marathon such a great game for people? I've never really played it that much, but was it better than Doom and DoomII? Is it still worth playing these days?

2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I used to play it (I & II).
    The best things about it were/are:
    it was mac only at first :)
    it has a great story
    it is easy to mod

I will have to download it and install it on my yosemite OS 9 now, thx :rolleyes:

3. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Don't bother people have ported it to OS X.

Can't think of the name off the top of my head but marathon.bungie.org should have it.

4. AppleAce macrumors regular

Yeah, AlephOne. There's a couple threads on here about it, some of em have larger better looking textures available for download.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=81293&highlight=m1a1 and http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=110354&highlight=m1a1

Can't tell you what makes Marathon so great, but I can say that I have spent countless hours playing all three of them.
    And if you really want old school download Pathways into Darkness from http://mac.the-underdogs.org/

5. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Marathon was the greatest FPS series ever made, hands down. The true 3D environments, brilliant (and groundbreaking) multiplayer, the ambient sounds, and a story to rival most RPGs made all three games truly in a class all their own. As a fairly hardcore gamer, I've played quite a bit of nearly every FPS series out there, and Halo and Half Life 2 are the only games that come close in my opinion.

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Amen! Count another Marathoner here. All three are great, but Marathon 2 and Infinity hold up the best IMO, thanks partly to AlephOne.

I've made tons of "just for fun" maps and custom weapons. (My favorite is the "shotgun rocket", where each rocket fired has 10 grenade-sized pellets that will kill a Juggernaut Major instantly in Total Carnage, :D but then that kinda takes the fun out of things!)

Plus get your hands on all of the "spin-off" maps that countless Marathoners have created (some great, some lame) and you've got a ton of free gaming material at your disposal!

I'm playing Halo on Legendary right now, and I'm trying to pass "The Belly of the Beast". That single battle makes the entire Marathon VidMaster's challenge look like... Stickybear! :eek:

7. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i loved them, all 3. i remember the level on the original marathon, colony ship for sale, cheap, which took me forever to complete! i couldn't think of how to use the grenade hop

the ambience of that game was incredible - little things would pop out of the dark and actually startle me. the story was great (even with the hackneyed crazy AI plot), and it built into this great mythological saga. i even loved the unofficial marathon rubicon (chimera? can't remember).

love it.

8. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

Yep, rubicon was for marathon. Chimera was a xpack for myth 2.

9. Paulo the Limey macrumors newbie

Paulo the Limey

Marathon Rubicon

From the moment I played the first demo of Marathon, I was utterly, utterly hooked. Great to see Bungie haven't completely abandoned their old fan-base, as they've made all three games free to download- check out their website.
    The best add on I've seen for Marathon, bar none, is Marathon Rubicon. It's a pain to get working with Aleph One, but I have yet to find a scenario that matches Rubicon for its size, plot depth and sheer playability. Its on a par with the original games, and that is no faint praise.

10. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I am not just a marathon fan... I am a marathon fanatic.

I have played all marathon games, played all secret levels, played hundrends of maps and mods, played its multiplayer, played all three marathon games with high-resolution graphics etc.

I have even finished rubicon both ways, revealing all secret levels!

I have also played DOOM series... all of the games. And I can tell you...

I have yet to find a game that has such an immersive atmosphere and storyline as Marathon.

Doom was by far inferior to Marathon. What should I mention first?

The Marathon physics engine allowed grenades to have a course other than a direct one was by far superior to this of doom's. Let alone the storyline... Let alone the fact that its graphics were beyond id's dreams at the time.

I still consider it a pitty that PC-ers do not realize that although they have tons of games, the macs had a mac-only game that litterally, changed the way me and thousands of other people were gaming a lot time ago.

11. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Well, this thread has convinced me to play through Rubicon (for the first time). I steered clear of most non-Bungie full campaigns, although I did play and greatly enjoy Marathon EVIL way back whenever. I won't even have to mess with Aleph One; I bought a lime iMac running 8.6 with 96 megs of ram for $5 a month ago and hadn't really found a use for it until now. Let's just hope 5300cs takes our rantings to heart.

12. Flickta macrumors 6502

Marathon!.. Not five. Not ten. An infinite number of stars I give to you!

You were and you still are the best shooter. Made of 'bests'. Immersive storyline. Unrivalled gameplay. Breathtaking networking.
    That Bungie was godlike, you know...

------------
    Do you guys remember The Power of Seven?

13. stutz macrumors member

Best FPS EVAARRR! (well, besides Deus Ex). It was the first FPS I ever played and it scared me in a good way. Great sound, fantastic story, and very interesting level design. I played it a year ago and still found it to be a ton of fun.

14. The Exile macrumors member

Somewhere in the wastelands of California
    Yes I remember EVIL. I loved Marathon ever since I first played it. Well I too have found a use for me old Mac. I'm sorry but you just have to play Marathon on the old systems to really get a fell of what it is all about. The way it was meant to be played in all heavenly glory.

15. Angrist macrumors 6502

Screw Halo

I love Marathon ...... I used to play Infinity on a 200MHz PowerMac ... those were the days.

Gotta love Bungie tho, this fall when Halo 2 was released, there was this whole buzz about "dual wielding" weapons. Many poeple that I know were completely amazed by the idea, ... then I showed them Infinity with the dual shotguns ... greatest weapon animation ever.

16. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Though it may sound strange, I think that some elements, apart from dual wielding weapons, from the marathon series have been implemented into Halo. When I first saw the player movement in Halo 1 in Mac, I instantly remembered Marathon's movement. That slow and natural player movement, along with the reduced gravity...

You can call me crazy but that that's my opinion!