Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you plan to upgrade to Mavericks?

• Yes

Votes: 78 90.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 9.3%

• Total voters

m98custom1212

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
Toledo, Ohio
Well, that's the problem. It takes a technically sophisticated user to do it. Not an issue for Macs. You can see this in the upgrade rates which are much higher for Macs than for Windows systems. Heck, even at my work with an IT staff trained in Windows every box is on XP except for the very newest purchases which are on 7, probably because they can't get the drivers!

You can't compare XP to windows 7.... 11 year ago OS to 4 year old OS

You need to be comparing Windows 7 to Windows 8. You said so your self from Mac 2009.. Right about when windows 7 came out.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
You can't compare XP to windows 7.... 11 year ago OS to 4 year old OS

More than one issue. I was earlier talking about the ability to upgrade and then started talking about the willingness to upgrade. I quickly found with a Google search the graphic I attached that measures the number of systems in any OS based on observed net traffic, taken last April. You can see that Mountain Lion, out 9 months, has more users than Snow Leopard and Lion combined. Lots of people upgraded. On the other hand, Windows 8, out 5 months, had less penetration than any of the previous Windows OSes measured, and ancient Windows XP represents 41% of Windows. Windows users just don't upgrade.

I certainly don't see Mac users running Panther or Tiger (the contemporaries of XP).

Attachments

• net_applications_april_2013-900-90.jpg
    net_applications_april_2013-900-90.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 90

m98custom1212

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
Toledo, Ohio
More than one issue. I was earlier talking about the ability to upgrade and then started talking about the willingness to upgrade. I quickly found with a Google search the graphic I attached that measures the number of systems in any OS based on observed net traffic, taken last April. You can see that Mountain Lion, out 9 months, has more users than Snow Leopard and Lion combined. Lots of people upgraded. On the other hand, Windows 8, out 5 months, had less penetration than any of the previous Windows OSes measured, and ancient Windows XP represents 41% of Windows. Windows users just don't upgrade.

I certainly don't see Mac users running Panther or Tiger (the contemporaries of XP).

Plus panther could be in there with numerous of operating systems

Another issue is Macs aren't even in the 6% of total use in business.. Most business's keep XP because some they don't want to upgrade the software and a piece of software can't be on newer machine.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
Why not?

All Apple updates are pretty much a must upgrade, nice new features and improvements. Unlike the other world Microsoft, you really need to think, such as Vista, Windows 8. Most of the time, you won't know what's new lol

There is no going back with Apple, that's why heaps of people want iOS 7 as soon as the beta come out. Yes it's beta, not the final release lol

Some of you guys are thinking of waiting for a .1 or .2 update before upgrading, I just find it hard to believe. Even worse, some people are still sticking with Snow Leopard. Are those people don't care about iCloud at all? I have recently reinstall 10.6 on my friends MacBook because that's what he can get, and I just find it quite ugly and hard to use... just my opinion anyway!

Last edited:

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Another issue is Macs aren't even in the 6% of total use in business.. Most business's keep XP because some they don't want to upgrade the software and a piece of software can't be on newer machine.

Sometimes they just can't upgrade past XP. I just setup an XP machine today, to run a process that uses WordPerfect 5.1!

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Panther on my iBook

I'm running Panther on an iBook. I use an MBA regularly but still love the iBook. I have Tiger discs but never did the upgrade.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Not sure that I will upgrade. If I do, it certainly won't be for awhile. I still run a lot of old software - Final Cut Pro 6, FileMaker Pro 11, PhotoShop CS 3, VectorWorks 2008, MS Office 2008. To my surprise, they all migrated fine to my 2011 MBA when I upgraded from my 2008 MBP. The 2011 MBA shipped with Lion and I never upgraded. In fact, I stayed at 10.7.3 because I read about problems with Logic Pro on 10.7.4. I'm definitely a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy. ;)

A week ago I upgraded to a 2013 MBA. I had to mess around with drivers and such in Logic, but everything else still works fine. I know some of this software is getting old, but it does everything I need and would really expensive to replace. I don't really enjoy the process of migrating to a new machine or new operating system. I appreciate the benefits that both can bring, but unless I see a big advantage, I just stick with what works and what gets the job done.

So unless I'm unhappy with 10.8 (which is brand new to me), it isn't likely I'll upgrade. I'll just wait until I get another new Mac that has the latest and greatest system software sometime in the future.

FWIW, my main Windows machine is a Dell Desktop running Vista. Again, it gets the job done and I really don't relish the thought of migrating all my old Windows software to a new machine.

I also have an iPhone 4 running iOS 4.01. Is there some kind of pattern here? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.